Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Electric brake question

Last question today, I think.

I have a brake controller on my 2002 Avalanche that I just installed. It is a CURT brand.
From the indicators on the brake controller everything is operating fine.

I did a manual check and I think I heard some squeaking but the brakes did not lock up.
I just took my foot off the brake and was barely rolling.
I even cranked the brake controller all the way and the wheels never locked.

is this normal? Should the brakes lock up the wheels?

jay
jay feather sport 2005
Jabawaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #2

What kind of surface were the wheels on when you applied the brakes? If on gravel or some other non paved surface they are more likely to lock. It is possible that they would not lock on pavement. However you should feel the TT tug when you apply the electronic brakes manually.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

You should be able to lock up the trailer brakes by the manual control. If not something is wrong.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

While parked, have someone stand by trailer wheels and listen for the brakes to acctuate. Depending on wiring, you might be able to put your flashers on then go check yourself. If you don't hear the brakes making noise you need to dig deeper
mtelkhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Jabawaki

Congratulations on your new TT and welcome to JOF. Looks like you have a nice 8 year old Jay Feather Sport.

Hopefully, you received detailed maintenance records from the previous owner. If not...it might be a good idea to have the tire age inspected (should be replaced every 3-5 years), have the wheel bearings packed, and the brake pads inspected. A failure of any of these components could ruin a family vacation.

After the brakes check out good on the TT, you can comfortably shift back to setting up your brake controller. Your brake controller should be able to lock-up the TT brakes when maximum voltage is manually applied.

Another thing you need to do (from reading other posts) is to have the battery checked out....sounds like its waxed....

Good luck
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Looking at the age of the trailer it could be that the brakes are way out of adjustment. If the actuators are working the brake shoes could be to far from the drums to be effective. Just another possibility.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

Electric brake question

Thank you. They are working as I can hear think engaging but not locking up. I'm going to take it on for an inspection at a dealership .
Thank you. Jay
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #8

Does your electric brake break-away switch work? When was the last time it was tested? When was the last time it was replaced? I know it is a side topic, but it relates to how well your electric brakes work (if they will work to stop your trailer when needed). The switch should be replaced about every five years (so I am told). It is in a pretty harsh environment. When I bought my 2004 earlier this year, I "assumed" the switch worked.... but when I finally got around to testing it, I found it corroded and failed (the brakes were working fine, though).
Just thought I'd throw this out, as testing this switch could tell you if both your switch is good, and the brakes are working to lock the wheel(s).
(I tested my "new" switch with one of the trailer jacked up at a time and made sure the wheels would "lock".)
Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Thank you for all the info. I'll make sure it gets servied.