Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
If you are hooked up and the battery gauge shows full power, then you have DC power from your converter, at least. You just have a blown DC fuse, most likely

The A/C, fridge, and ceiling lights all need 12 volt DC to run (the fridge and A/C just use 12 volts for their controls). So I'm guessing you have a 12 volt fuse (not an AC breaker) that has blown for some reason; that 12 volt fuse protects a circuit that has your ceiling lights, fridge, and A/C controls. Have you checked your DC fuses - probably they are located near your converter; they are small plastic things that have numbers like 15 or 20 or 30 embossed into the end of them. You could remove each fuse, one at a time, and see if the metal has broken or melted on the side of the fuse. If you have a DC voltmeter, you could use it to test that you have 12 volts on each side of each DC fuse. If you have to replace a fuse, be sure to replace it with one of the same amp value (15 or 20 or 30). Hopefully whatever made your fuse blow was an intermittent problem, but try to figure out why the fuse blew in the first place.
That was it i had two 15 amp fuses blown. How do i figure out what caused that?

Cdunham30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:26 PM   #12
Thank you everyone

Cdunham30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods
If you are lucky, you might stumble onto it. But beyond what is posted, you begin to have to call on more than a "try this and that" approach OR hoping questions can be easily and simply answered.

Which by that I mean you may have to pay someone to do it for you now that has the skills, and then engage in a course of study and hands on and tools for the future.

Best of luck. There is a reason technicians can make money doing this.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #14
A fuse blows because too much current runs through the circuit. This could be simple overload condition (like a new addition to an already loaded circuit) but if nothing has changed, it was probably caused by a short of hot to ground or neutral. Consider the rain you mentioned, I would be most suspect of water in your wiring. Considering that 3 of the items you mention are roof/ceiling mounted, I would first suspect something near the roof. So that is where I would start, but it is rarely easy to track these things down.

My first inclination would be to inspect very carefully for any leaks around the A/C unit (once the rain stops). It is the biggest hole in your TT/RV roof. Pop the inside cover of the A/C and see if there is any sign of water making its way in. Also, pop the covers on the ceiling lights, take the bulbs out and make sure they are dry. The first indication of a leak in a friend's pup was actually water accumulating on the lens in the fixture.

While doing all of this, be very aware of your conductive situation (wear rubber soled shoes, and stay away from touching metal). Although 12V is not AS dangerous as 120, it can still give you a heck of a jolt if there is a short.

2011 Jayco X19H (purchased 2015)
2008 Jayco 1007 PUP (purchased new, traded for the X19)
2012 Chev Traverse LT with TP
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

electric, electric problem, urgent