Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #1

Electric Stabilizer Jacks

We ordered a 31RKS about two weeks ago, just waiting for them to build it. I have a question for anyone that has, or knows about, Electric Stabilizer Jacks. We ordered them on it, but I'm unsure about exactly how they work. They have been described to me as the "two button" variety, that is one button for the front and one button for the back. So far so good. My question is, do both stabilizers, left and right, go all the way to the ground if it is uneven, and equalize, or do they both go to a set distance down together evenly? I have asked Jayco, and I don't think they know. Even a brand name of the stabilizers would help. I could look them up.

Thanks,

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #2

All the stabilizer jacks do is go to the ground the same equal distance. If you are unlevel, you still have to level. They do not do it automatically. I have the same unit as you have but did not purchase the jacks. I do the same thing with the jacks on there and can regulate how far they go down. I just use my battery operated Dewalt Drill with a socket and run them up or down in no time.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
All the stabilizer jacks do is go to the ground the same equal distance. If you are unlevel, you still have to level. They do not do it automatically. I have the same unit as you have but did not purchase the jacks. I do the same thing with the jacks on there and can regulate how far they go down. I just use my battery operated Dewalt Drill with a socket and run them up or down in no time.
Since you don't have the electric ones, then yours are quite a bit different than mine will be. I guess I'll just have to wait till my rig is delivered to see what they do.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #4

Only two buttons and not four indivual? That's a good question if I'm understanding it correctly. We have pulled into sites where one side is lower and only had to put blocks under that one side of tires. With that scenario, we had to lower one of the front jacks more than the other side. So if one button does both front stabilizers, what happens when your tt is level but one side is lower than the other.... does the shorter side automatically stop and the lower side keep going, or do you also have to put blocks under the lower stabilizer because it stops also when the shorter side stops. Did I get that right? That would be good to know if we ever upgrade and have that option!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Only two buttons and not four indivual? That's a good question if I'm understanding it correctly. We have pulled into sites where one side is lower and only had to put blocks under that one side of tires. With that scenario, we had to lower one of the front jacks more than the other side. So if one button does both front stabilizers, what happens when your tt is level but one side is lower than the other.... does the shorter side automatically stop and the lower side keep going, or do you also have to put blocks under the lower stabilizer because it stops also when the shorter side stops. Did I get that right? That would be good to know if we ever upgrade and have that option!
You phrased the question better than I. That's precisely what I'm trying to find out. One would think that someone either at the dealer or Jayco would know, but apparantly not.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #6

Camper 10

I just bought a Jayco 365 BHS fifth wheel. I was interested in upgrading to electric rear jacks. I found out, Jayco jacks do not move individually. They move at the same rate. You still have to level with blocks on the lowest leg. I found some jacks in etrailer, the move individually and cost less than Jayco jacks. You can level using the jacks.
Camper 10
taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #7

Well, my dealer seemed to know and he said they go until one side stops. You still need to level with blocks. Not for me.

Joe Hinson
Old 02-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #8

I have the electric ones on our 5th wheel. The jacks do adjust to un even ground. The system slides the jack to the right or left. The system works great too.
Http://yogi154.blogspot.com/
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi154 View Post
I have the electric ones on our 5th wheel. The jacks do adjust to un even ground. The system slides the jack to the right or left. The system works great too.
Did those jacks come with your trailer when new from Jayco? It would be great if mine did that also.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #10

We have the electric jacks on our trailer. When you push the down switch one jack goes down and touches, then the one on the other side will go down and touch. Then both will lift.

After paying extra to get them on our new trailer I would just as soon get the manual stabalizer jacks. The electric ones will only go so tight and the trailer is still bouncy. A waste of money in my opinion. I really like the electric tongue jack.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
We have the electric jacks on our trailer. When you push the down switch one jack goes down and touches, then the one on the other side will go down and touch. Then both will lift.

After paying extra to get them on our new trailer I would just as soon get the manual stabalizer jacks. The electric ones will only go so tight and the trailer is still bouncy. A waste of money in my opinion. I really like the electric tongue jack.
Thanks for your info. Unfortunantly, I cannot bend over without a great deal of pain, so anything I can get that prevents that is a major plus.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #12

If the electric jack will help you minimalize stooping over then it is a no brainer- get them. I have seen several Class A owners at CG's use them and they tell me the manual ones do a better job at stopping TT bounce.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:22 PM   #13

IF that is the reason for the electric jacks, by all means go for it. You just might have to put some blocks down though to completely level the unit.

Joe Hinson
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
If the electric jack will help you minimalize stooping over then it is a no brainer- get them. I have seen several Class A owners at CG's use them and they tell me the manual ones do a better job at stopping TT bounce.
I am trading in a class A MH. It has electric jacks, and stops virtually all of the bounce. However they are levelers, not stabilizers. They are designed to lift the wheels clear off the ground. We knew when we decided to downsize to a TT, that it would not be as stable due to that fact. We are prepared to live with a little jounce. Part of the trade off.

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #15

The electric stabalizers are definately easy to use. Just push the button. We will be getting two more manual stabalizers and mount them near the wheels. Our travel trailer is long, 35ft and it needs more stability.

I know that motorhome style leavelers are available for 5th wheels and trailers. I don't know who makes them.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote