Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2015, 07:31 AM   #1

Electric tongue jack

Hi there I'm new to the forum. Actually new to the TT world just picked up our 2015 27 RLS it has an electric tongue jack. I was wondering is there a cut off switch to power so when it's parked in my driveway the kids in the neighborhood don't play with the controls. Thanks
Peter10414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #2

Probably the only way would be to pull the fuse, or install a battery cut off switch that can be "locked" so you shut power off to everything. Or maybe a waterproof switch specific for the jack mounted in the battery box lid or box itself if there is room.

Main battery switch is a good idea because the propane leak detector will kill the battery in no time unless your trailer is plugged in when stored at home.

Congrats on the new trailer! And read as much as you can for tips and tricks!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #3

Congrats on the new TT. We put a cover over ours to protect from the sun but it could serve as a dual purpose.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #4

A cover will serve that purpose well, and is a good idea anyway (for protection from water intrusion in my case) as is a cutoff switch to keep the battery from draining if you're not removing it completely.

Even with a cover, I still got water in my jack, and it is dieing a slow death as we speak. Never had a problem with people fussing with the jack.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #5

I have a key-operated battery disconnect switch (from a piece of heavy equipment). Just install it in-line on the ground wire (white) between your battery's neg post and the trailer frame. Besides disabling your tongue jack, it also disconnects power to the parasitic draws in your trailer - propane leak detector, sound system, etc - all of which can drain your battery in a couple of weeks. I also carry a couple spare in-line fuses for the tongue jack, in case one gets cooked. It doesn't happen often (probably never, since I have spares!), but when it does, there will be a whole lotta crankin' goin' on without that spare fuse.

I, too, keep a cover on my tongue jack head when parked - both at the storage spot and then again when I get situated at the CG. It keeps the sun, rain, snow, and ice from shortening its lifespan.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
snip... It doesn't happen often (probably never, since I have spares!), but when it does, there will be a whole lotta crankin' goin' on without that spare fuse.
I don't mean to derail this thread, but since you mentioned it, it reminded me. I had a problem with my jack last time out that necessitated using the manual crank override, and I have to say, I almost don't want to bother fixing it.

The manual crank worked WAY better and FASTER than the jack ever did. And the effort to operate it was surprisingly little. I thought I would be cranking my little ol' heart out, but not so. The most annoying part is that I have to remove the propane tank cover to make a full rotation with the manual crank.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I don't mean to derail this thread, but since you mentioned it, it reminded me. I had a problem with my jack last time out that necessitated using the manual crank override, and I have to say, I almost don't want to bother fixing it.

The manual crank worked WAY better and FASTER than the jack ever did. And the effort to operate it was surprisingly little. I thought I would be cranking my little ol' heart out, but not so. The most annoying part is that I have to remove the propane tank cover to make a full rotation with the manual crank.
Really! I haven't had the pleasure of trying it on my new Jayco, but the one I installed on my Outback took FOREVER to crank the tongue up and down. (Don't ask how I know that and if that's how I discovered the need for spare fuses. )

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Really! I haven't had the pleasure of trying it on my new Jayco, but the one I installed on my Outback took FOREVER to crank the tongue up and down. (Don't ask how I know that and if that's how I discovered the need for spare fuses. )
Yeah, needless to say, I was VERY surprised at how well it worked. Like I said, I almost said "forget it" to the power function. Got my eyes on a Husky Brute to replace the cheap Chinese garbage that came on the trailer. I may not even bother with a warranty claim as I have NO interest in replacing it with the same jack.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

I didn't mention it, but I keep a small kitchen garbage can flipped over on my Atwood power jack to help protect it from the sun and rain.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
I didn't mention it, but I keep a small kitchen garbage can flipped over on my Atwood power jack to help protect it from the sun and rain.
IMO, this is the best solution for the OP, and has the added protection benefits listed.

I have a can on mine, but it's starting to rot from exposure. I'll get a new one when I replace the jack and will treat it with Aerospace 303 periodically to protect it from the sun.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #11
Site Team

I read on another forum that a Golf Bag cover is a good solution for a tongue jack cover.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #12

Quote:
5 gallon bucket here.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:
... Got my eyes on a Husky Brute to replace the cheap Chinese garbage that came on the trailer. I may not even bother with a warranty claim as I have NO interest in replacing it with the same jack.
I replaced my stock jack before we even went on our first trip. I fortunately still had the old manual jack from our old trailer ( <cough> packrat <cough> ), so pulled off the 6 month old Husky 4500lb jack before trading it in. The Husky doesn't struggle at all with our ~1300lb tongue weight but the stock jack was really loud and sounded like it was going to die or strip a gear any second. Plus the Husky has limit switches to prevent retracting too far (maybe overextension, too - not sure) with the resulting blown fuses. Our Husky has the remote, so I can lower the trailer from the driver's seat while watching in the rear view camera. You'll be very happy with it, remote or not.

Anyone in the DC area want to buy a barely used jack?
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #14

I purchased a cover for mine - a vinyl bag with drawstring. It fits tight and the wind can't blow it off. It's lasted for 5 years, now, and still in good shape.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #15

Quote:
I purchased a cover for mine - a vinyl bag with drawstring. It fits tight and the wind can't blow it off. It's lasted for 5 years, now, and still in good shape.
Do you keep it on in transit? Sometimes the rain comes while we're in transit and I can't keep the can on then...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Do you keep it on in transit? Sometimes the rain comes while we're in transit and I can't keep the can on then...
No. I take it off during travel, but I keep the cover on any time I am not directly using it and the trailer is stationary. It is easy to take on and off. Theoretically, the drawstring should keep it in place while traveling - but I don't want to take the chance of losing it.

Here's the one I have - fits the El tongue jack that came on my 2015 Jayco:

Here's the link to the above, through Amazon for $8.00: Amazon.com: Quick Products JQ-RVC Universal Electric Tongue Jack Cover: Automotive

There are larger ones available at Camping World:
Electric Jack Head Cover - Stromberg Carlson JET-01 - Hitch Covers - Camping World

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #17

Quote:
X2 on the inverted plastic garbage can. Got this idea from this forum. I also put two eye hooks on the side for the chains and a broom holder bracket in the front to keep the plug out of the weather. Works great in all weather and the weight of the chains hold it down in the wind.
Happy RVing.
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by havnfun View Post
X2 on the inverted plastic garbage can. Got this idea from this forum. I also put two eye hooks on the side for the chains and a broom holder bracket in the front to keep the plug out of the weather. Works great in all weather and the weight of the chains hold it down in the wind.
Happy RVing.
Jeff
I haven't put the hooks or broom stick holder on, but my propane tank cover is close enough that the can has actually stayed on while going down the road due to a very snug fit! Glad I didn't loose it!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:20 AM   #19

a good mid to high powered pellet gun is the only solution
lol
Old 07-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #20

I'm going with the small trash bag idea. When breaking camp yesterday the jack raised a couple seconds, then quit cold. After just a couple of cranks with the manual whatever you call it, it worked again. I suspect our very unusual daily rains, probably triple the average, is the culprit.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote