Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

Electric water heater

Hi we have a 2007 jayco jay flight 29bhs and are confused on how to get our water to heat on electric. We have the option to do so but are only able to heat on gas. According to the manual when yoy click the switch in camper to electric on water heater the light should go off in 5 minutes yet ours stays on. ...... confused as to should light stay on and we misunderstand the manual or is somEthing wrong that light not going off?
We bought it used and this is our first time using it. And would really like to not use our gas.
dawnnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Welcome to the JOF.

Our trailer is newer, but I'm sure our light stays on until I turn the switch off.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnnye View Post
Hi we have a 2007 jayco jay flight 29bhs and are confused on how to get our water to heat on electric. We have the option to do so but are only able to heat on gas. According to the manual when yoy click the switch in camper to electric on water heater the light should go off in 5 minutes yet ours stays on. ...... confused as to should light stay on and we misunderstand the manual or is somEthing wrong that light not going off?
We bought it used and this is our first time using it. And would really like to not use our gas.
Are you plugged in to shore power? The electric heating elements need 120VAC.

And the lights stay on 100% of the time you have the switch in the 'On' position. The gas flame and/or electric element will cycle as needed to keep the water hot. You can hear the propane burner when it is running.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

I have a 07 with a gas and electric water heater. When I switch the to electric heater the switch panel light stays on as well.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

There is likely a switch on the unit outside under the cover as well. It's a safety switch so that nobody can accidently turn on the unit when it's drained. I know because I burnt out an electric element that way.