Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #1

Electrical Charge on Trailer Frame?

I've just recently noticed a small electrical charge on my trailer. Never noticed it before but the last two trips to the storage facility and it's noticeable. About like the zap you get from someone that shuffles on the carpet or a doorknob in your house in the winter. Tingles and startles me when working on the trailer, especially when it hits me on the arm. I disconnected the battery, both pos and neg terminals, still there. The trailer is parked directly underneath some high voltage lines. There is a utility high voltage tower run that goes directly over almost the entire storage lot. I assume that my trailer is picking up an induced voltage from the overhead lines? I measured it with my meter and it's about 3 to 4 volts AC between the trailer and my body. Not high voltage but enough to give you a zap/tingle, especially since the trailer would be able to hold quite a charge capacity. I never noticed it before but, the humidity is much higher now than earlier in the year when I first started keeping it there so perhaps that contributes to the effect? Anyway, thinking of putting a nail in the ground through a crack in the pavement with a wire clipped to the trailer frame to perhaps dissipate the charge. Anyone ever heard of this before? Picking up a charge from overhead lines?
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #2

Never heard of that. I assume you are not connected to shore power. In theory I can see how it's possible. The nail idea just might be enough to solve the problem. Let us know how it works out.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #3

I've never heard of an induced charge on a RV. Sure you don't have a short somewhere?
Old 07-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #4

No shore power and battery disconnected (pos & neg) so no source of charge or power in or connected to the trailer. Been reading online to see what I can find. Seems not uncommon for a charge to be created under or near high voltage lines. Articles I've read give examples that sound just like what I am experiencing. It can vary based on direction of the wires relative to the metal structure and atmospheric conditions. Not dangerous but they call it a "startle/nuisance" shock. They recommend grounding the structure (fence, metal building, etc) to discharge it. Will try grounding the trailer and see however, not sure if the charge is in the trailer or me. I read one example where the charge would build up in the person and then discharge when they touched ground, or another person that was grounded. I wear rubber soled shoes and the trailer jacks are down so could be the charge is me, not the trailer, and it is simply a source to ground for me. Not sure how I could fix that one.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Try one of these... May work to discharge your TT. It would be better than driving a nail into your driveway..

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Anti static strap.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #6

There is a significant static charge that will be near high voltage power lines. It is possible to pick up a static charge from this. You can use a rubber strap that contacts the ground to dissipate the charge.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

Wow, that's really interesting. I've heard of folks ripping off the power companies by placing coils under the high voltage lines but not of folks getting shocked by induction into a trailer/RV. Sounds totally plausible from here.

The KOA at Delaware Gap has high voltage lines running right through the middle of the campground but I'm guessing humidity could also assist with the induction. It would also be a function of how high the voltage of that particular line is so conditions there weren't right for getting tingled.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #8

I would say the voltage you are feeling is much much higher than a few volts but there is no power there because it's gone in a millisecond. But since you said you are wearing rubber sole shoes I think you are the source and the frame is grounded by the front stabilizer. I would try it bare footed just to see if I am right.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #9

That's my plan, ground myself first then see if I still get zapped. Since it's very noticeable now and I have not noticed it before I suspect the air humidity and other conditions contribute to it. You're likely right re the voltage. I'm sure my little radio shack analog meter is not the most accurate way to measure it. I bit my lip and tried to get it to dissipate a couple of times by holding on for a bit but it never seemed to go away. Will report back after more tests, unless of course the unique conditions change and it goes away on it's own.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #10

Problem solved. Went back today and trailer still zapped me when I touched it. I drove a long nail into a crack in the pavement under the edge of the trailer and clipped a wire lead from the nail to a bare metal strap attached to the underside of the trailer that was screwed into the frame. No more charge or zap and the voltage reading on the trailer dropped to 0, no movement of the needle on my meter. I disconnected the wire for a test and sure enough, as I grabbed the end of the clamp to put it back on the nail it zapped me. One of those problems that I could analyze all day but, if a nail and a small piece of wire fix it then I'm moving on.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

But just think of all the free power you're wasting LOL.

Shame you can't channel that into some kind of maintenance charge controller for your batteries.

(And before anybody writes a long post explaining static electricity - I'm kidding!
I know it wouldn't work - all volts and probably near zero amps - but it would be cool if it were possible.)
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

I guess when I initially read this I though you were getting a continuous electrical shock rather than the snap one would expereince from static.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #13
Site Team

You need to look into harnessing this power and use it to keep your TT batteries topped off. Wait.... put that nail part of the circuit on a switch, and when you are not at home turn the switch off and use it as a warning to anyone that should not be there and touches the TT.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #14

I've had this problem at a campsite. The shore power outlet had a bad ground and voltage was tracking from the hot side giving the metal bonded parts of my trailer about 60 volts, and enough current to cause a "tickle." I'm an electrician so I asked the rv park if I could fix it for them. Rewired the outlet and all was good again. No parts needed. I should have charged them! Or at least got a discount, but I was happy to be not getting shocked when I opened the trailer door.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

2013 Jayflight 25BHS Elite
TV: 2002 Chevrolet 1500HD Crew Cab 3.73 Gears
:Canada:
Elecchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elecchicken View Post
I've had this problem at a campsite. The shore power outlet had a bad ground and voltage was tracking from the hot side giving the metal bonded parts of my trailer about 60 volts, and enough current to cause a "tickle." I'm an electrician so I asked the rv park if I could fix it for them. Rewired the outlet and all was good again. No parts needed. I should have charged them! Or at least got a discount, but I was happy to be not getting shocked when I opened the trailer door.

I always check frame to ground and every now and then I get a small reading. Campground wiring is a world all it own. I check the 50 amp service with a surge protector before I plug in and then I check voltage on both hots from different outlets and will not stay on that service if I see a difference. I just posted this in another thread but I found 2 open neutrals in 50 amp service last year. No damage done because I went 30amp until it was fixed.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
I always check frame to ground and every now and then I get a small reading. Campground wiring is a world all it own. I check the 50 amp service with a surge protector before I plug in and then I check voltage on both hots from different outlets and will not stay on that service if I see a difference. I just posted this in another thread but I found 2 open neutrals in 50 amp service last year. No damage done because I went 30amp until it was fixed.
Wow. Lucky. Bad neutral=very bad.

2013 Jayflight 25BHS Elite
TV: 2002 Chevrolet 1500HD Crew Cab 3.73 Gears
:Canada:
Elecchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #17
Site Team

Good info but the op is not connected to the power grid. Just parked under it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Good info but the op is not connected to the power grid. Just parked under it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah he's just picking up ions from the overhead power, they would be on the skin of the camper, IOW it's static electricity.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle