Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Electrical Outlet Issues...

Gosh, I hope some people can offer some help! We have just purchased a 2005 Jayco 27 ft travel trailer. We just got back from taking it out on the first adventure. After the first day, some of the outlets stopped working. The three in the master bedroom area, and the outlets where the tv/dvd plug into. We have tried to reset, now that we are home, hubby has replaced all the fuses. As well he put in a new gfi outlet, now none of the plugs are working! Needless to say, he is not happy. All outlets were working, I used one of them for a hair dryer, and we had our Bose dock plugged in. Now no power in them Any help or directions would be wonderful, as we aren't super handy people!!!
ddavy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #2

You stated your hubby replaced all the fuses. Did he reset all the breakers? The outlets work off of 120v which would be shore power. The outlets do not work off of the 12v battery.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
You stated your hubby replaced all the fuses. Did he reset all the breakers? The outlets work off of 120v which would be shore power. The outlets do not work off of the 12v battery.
He did re-trip all the breakers, and its not going off the battery...we are still puzzled!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #4

Does the fridge work when in the elec setting? Does the AC and all other shore powered items work when pluged in?
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Verify that the GFCI is not tripped. If not, you have a loose wire somewhere in the chain. VOM time. Be careful!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #6

ddavy, This happened to me....sort of. My outlets would work, then they wouldn't work. Long story short there is an electric post or panel behind the fuse box where all the electric is plugged into. Mine came loose enough that when it was touching the panel, the effected outlets would work. But if the trailer was moved the lines would seperate from the panel and the outlets wouldn't work.
Hope this helps.
Kathie

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

First of all - welcome to the forum! Glad you have you. If you get a chance, come on over and introduce yourself in the new member forum.

I would Contact Jayco directly and see if they will send you the 120 volt wiring diagram for your trailer. From that you should be able to tell the first outlet in the chain. I would start there and work backwards. Does anything work at all on 120 volt? I would also unplug the trailer and see if you can see behind the cabinet where the wire comes into the trailer and goes to your power center and see if anything looks out of place. Not sure if you purchased it used, but if so the previous owner could have installed a surge protector or something in there as well that could have gone bad.

You mentioned that you are not super handy, so my recommendation is get with a local RV dealer and let them take a look. Hopefully it is something simple, but you dont want to take a chance.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #8

Terry, that is exactly what I did!! I didn't even know there was a elec pole that everything plugged into behind the fuse box. But the RV dealership took care of it for me.

I don't like to mess with elec!! Except for plugging in my coffee pot. hahaha

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Verify that the GFCI is not tripped. If not, you have a loose wire somewhere in the chain. VOM time. Be careful!
Yep check to see if have a GFCI outlet somewhere. Ours is in the bathroom and it had to be reset this past weekend.
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
ddavy, This happened to me....sort of. My outlets would work, then they wouldn't work. Long story short there is an electric post or panel behind the fuse box where all the electric is plugged into. Mine came loose enough that when it was touching the panel, the effected outlets would work. But if the trailer was moved the lines would seperate from the panel and the outlets wouldn't work.
Hope this helps.
Kathie
Ok, hubby asks, how do you get the panel off??? He has tried....
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #11

I don't know, like I said, I took mine to the dealership and they told me that is what they had to do. And it is back behind the fuse box.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #12

Mine has 4 screws one in each corner you pull those and the whole convertor pulles out all wires 120 volt and the 12 volt are terminated on the back side. Make sure that you have unpluged trailer from shore power as the whole backside will have live power on all terminals if you dont.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #13

Husband was just out trying again. The case is not coming off, he says thatbthere is a little give in the middle. He thinks he will break it. He says that it shakes a little, can get his fingers in around it but if he pulls it he thinks its going to snap.