Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
Thanks ya all. I AM a newbie to all this-less than 1 year in to my Jayco TT. I've mastered most everything to do w the lifestyle but electrics,volts,batteries n all have always alluded me. I wish the dealership would instruct on this but alas you get the 10 minute run down n out the gate you go. I appreciate this site and all the invaluable advice you spend your precious time to give. I'll try n get myself an education on TT electrics but in the meantime thanks for helping a newbie on the road to semi-pro. We were all newbies once I guess
Not to worry and a dealer could never walk you thru all the variations of trouble and issues you might face with your TT. This forum is the best ever for advice from know it alls and folks who have been there and done that for most every issue.

Experienced a 12V outage last year that affected my TT nav lights and problem was traced to a loose ground in a connection box under the tongue. Simple fix but not all that obvious. Lots of good advice so far, but the best is to do what ever makes it work and gets you on the way home. If you jump power from your TV and things work, the problem is your battery. If not, there is a fault or loose wire somewhere. 1st thing is to check to make sure you have a good ground. Not sure why, but a loose ground means no 12V power. What I'm not sure about is why the ground comes loose so often. For trouble shooting an electrical issue a multi tester is invaluable.

The main thing I hold against a dealer is that they don't demonistrate the manual procedure for retracting a slide or awning as they are a show stopper if you are breaking camp. I am definitely not a know it all when it comes to electrical [and most other things for that matter] but have found that a short hike to get your head clear and suggesting the wife take the dogs [and kids if you have them] somewhere to play will give you a better chance to try to figure out the problem.

What turned out to be your problem??
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #22
Lost in the Woods

There is more than one way to help somebody. At some point in my past, I seem to remember teaching someone to fish, rather than fishing for somebody, was a good idea.

These days it appears that owners are very motivated to throw fish (ideas) at someone that has an RV problem as the preferred way to do help someone. Not my way, however, as next time they have a problem they are in just as much trouble. And with electricity, you can do more damage messing around not knowing what you are doing and maybe hurt yourself severely as well.

I definitely agree that "there is nothing stopping them (RV owners) in these days and times but their own motivation."

And it seems that because of the lack of RV lemon laws there is not a lot of incentive for RV mfgs to make more reliable products or dealers to step up the repair and maintenance downtimes.

So yes, that is why I'm an advocate of stepping up our skills.

Govt regulations aren't always the way to do things, but sometimes they are. I would be an advocate for a CDL license, as well as a basic operators (electric and propane) license. I also think testing people yearly over 65 should be done (both for visual limitations and mental limitations) to renew their licenses. Yes, I could list other categories of drivers as well.

Yeah, I did plan to leave the forum, some encouraged me to stay, so who knows. I think I'm in the minority when it comes to encouraging and teaching people to become more self-reliant and learn to fish a bit to help them stay on the road more and suffer less problems.

I also advocate regular maintenance which some don't agree with either, who have a don't fix it unless it is broken point of view.

Note: I just inspected a beautiful early 2000's Safari mh that I believe will become a piece of junk soon. The owner is just letting the damage and maintenance problems mount up. Enough money to buy it, but not enough money or willingness to fix what is not absolutely required for his usage.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #23

What turned out to be your problem??[/QUOTE]

It was the battery. We camped in Yosemite last month and after a blackout at site the battery was draining really quickly. I knew it was iffy then. Then the drain from full to empty simply(the slide-out stopped 1/2 way. Tested as best I can (we are still on the road). When we get home I will go through every connection but I'm not going to fix what's not broken right now.
Did I chuck away a good battery for a new one. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Again,so great full for this forum. I teach art in my spare time and it's great feeling to share knowledge, and it's great to be on the receiving end too.🙂
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #24

I don't know but this whole thing smells like a dry battery to me. Did you check for water in the battery?

Also, if you had a VOM and knew how to use it you would be able to get a lot better assistance when asking questions on a forum like this. The battery meter in your Jayco is of no value for voltage tests or for determining the state of charge on your battery.

I consider manufacturer installed battery and tank meters to be just a bunch of colorful blinking lights and only useful for decoration and as a sales gimmick.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #25

I checked it out before ileft- distilled water in hand but it was full. I have a vom meter and checked it at the pos/neg connections -all full n good.

I had TT plugged in driveway for a while,and didn't disconnect battery. I thin it showed full charged but discharged so quick cos I damaged iit
Old 12-21-2015, 08:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doonkin View Post
I checked it out before ileft- distilled water in hand but it was full. I have a vom meter and checked it at the pos/neg connections -all full n good.

I had TT plugged in driveway for a while,and didn't disconnect battery. I thin it showed full charged but discharged so quick cos I damaged iit
I don't think your problems are over. Sounds like you have something draining your battery when it shouldn't be. Be sure to check your 12 volt system entirely when you get home. You will want to check the current draw at the battery.
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
make sure the connections to the battery are tight and clean, those connections are the source of many problems.
X2

That is exactly what happened to me on my last boondocking trip. We arrived and nothing would work. We hadn't tried to run off batteries in a long time (always plugged into shore) so my fist thought was the battery was shot and now we are stuck. Fortunately I opened up the battery case and discovered that the washboard roads we travelled up on must have loosened the nuts on the battery and with one quick tightening we were back in business with fully charged battery for a full weekend of problem free fun.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
A good example of why these threads waste a lot of time responding by throwing fish.

In the first post the statement was made that the battery was fully charged, but the problem turned out to be the battery.

I have read posts in other forums where it is stated the owner checked the fuses and later the same checked fuses turned out to be the problem.

And many other examples of same.

Just my opinion, but the best advice would have been to: 1) take the rv to a service technician and have him check it out,

then 2) enter a training program and start learning about how electricity/propane works, the various electric systems, and how batteries work/are maintained/are checked (like load testing) /how to verify their state of charge and not be fooled by a float charge, for example, and 3) then get more tools and learn troubleshooting techniques

OR just stay away from trying to do your own service with bits of partial knowledge that often does more harm than good.

But, certainly my post won't "motivate" anyone but is commonly considered as not helpful and worthy of scorn. So be it.
You are entitled to your own opinion regarding forum suggestions in response to user problems. Most forum members respond to to issues in areas where they have had experience or remember reading about it and its successful fix on the forum.

Of course the best process of problem elimination is a knowledgeable process of elimination that takes the problem through predetermined tests that start (like battery here) and work your way from there (cables, fuses, connections, loads...) through the circuit. Most people did not attend school for electronics or have electronic background, so they look here for HELP. If you look over the history of repair requests for assistance on this forum, there are very few that have not been resolved with the assistance of members on the forum. Given instructions, even the person that has no experience can fix just about anything on the TT. Members know their limits and will take issues beyond their skills to a RV professional.

Granted, when a person says they checked a fuse, odds are it was a visual check and not an electrical check, most responses to that check are to check it electronically... but new members are under a little stress whether it be they are at a CG without a lot of tools and knowledge or their spouse/partner/kids is climbing all over them because the DVR with kids movies doesn't work, or the fridge has been off for 5 hours, or the water is running out of the toilet. Try calling support or a JAYCO service center while at the campground. Most repairs, JAYCO will give you the name of a authorized JAYCO dealer, where we stay it is about 80 miles away.

I personally love it when members give me 10 different things that could be wrong... unbelievable how much "OUT OF THE BOX THINKING" takes place on this forum, and things that may not have been thought about. Of course, I know which ones that I can eliminate through my knowledge of the problem. When you read these various posted ideas, that sticks with individuals that are not had much experience with trouble shooting issues. In the future they will say, Oh... I read that on a forum and I remember they said ...... to check it out or fix it.

I agree that some scan over the initial request posted, but that is a part of every forum.

Most members want to LEARN about their TT's, and welcome the advice posted. Granted, one needs to be cautious regarding some of the suggestions, and I usually will put a warning on my suggestions that may take an individual beyond their skills, where I suggest they contact a professional.

I guess if people do not like the information they receive on forums, or TMI for some to digest, then I would recommend getting online with the TT's mfr support group ( I have had good and bad experiences using them), or just get in line at the local TT repair shop.

I guess I would rather spend an extra hour or two trouble shooting and resolving the problem at home, instead of spending a day taking the TT to a dealer and not getting it back for a week, 2 weeks or a month due to the scheduling back log. I also like the feeling of SUCCESS when I tackle a problem and successfully resolve it, which feels so much better than handing the service center $150 dollars to figure it out.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
You are entitled to your own opinion regarding forum suggestions in response to user problems. Most forum members respond to to issues in areas where they have had experience or remember reading about it and its successful fix on the forum.

Of course the best process of problem elimination is a knowledgeable process of elimination that takes the problem through predetermined tests that start (like battery here) and work your way from there (cables, fuses, connections, loads...) through the circuit. Most people did not attend school for electronics or have electronic background, so they look here for HELP. If you look over the history of repair requests for assistance on this forum, there are very few that have not been resolved with the assistance of members on the forum. Given instructions even the person that has no experience can fix just about anything on the TT. Members know their limits and will take issues beyond their skills to a RV professional.

Granted, when a person says they checked a fuse, odds are it was a visual check and not an electrical check, most responses to that check are to check it electronically... but new members are under a little stress whether it be they are at a CG without a lot of tools and knowledge or their spouse/partner/kids is climbing all over them because the DVR with kids movies doesn't work, or the fridge has been off for 5 hours, or the water is running out of the toilet. Try calling support or a JAYCO service center while at the campground. Most repairs, JAYCO will give you the name of a authorized JAYCO dealer, where we stay it is about 80 miles away.

I personally love it when members give me 10 different things that could be wrong... unbelievable how much "OUT OF THE BOX THINKING" takes place on this forum, and things that may not have been thought about. Of course, I know which ones that I can eliminate through my knowledge of the problem. When you read these various posted ideas, that sticks with individuals that are not had much experience with trouble shooting issues. In the future they will say, Oh... I read that on a forum and I remember they said ...... to check it out or fix it.

I agree that some scan over the initial request posted, but that is a part of every forum.

Most members want to LEARN about their TT's, and welcome the advice posted. Granted, one needs to be cautious regarding some of the suggestions, and I usually will put a warning on my suggestions that may take an individual beyond their skills, where I suggest they contact a professional.

I guess if people do not like the information they receive on forums, or TMI for some to digest, then I would recommend getting online with the TT's mfr support group ( I have had good and bad experiences using them), or just get in line at the local TT repair shop.

I guess I would rather spend an extra hour or two trouble shooting and resolving the problem at home, instead of spending a day taking the TT to a dealer and not getting it back for a week, 2 weeks or a month due to the scheduling back log. I also like the feeling of SUCCESS when I tackle a problem and successfully resolve it, which feels so much better than handing the service center $150 dollars to figure it out.

Just my thoughts,

Don
+1!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #30
Lost in the Woods

"I guess I would rather spend an extra hour or two trouble shooting and resolving the problem at home, instead of spending a day taking the TT to a dealer and not getting it back for a week, 2 weeks or a month due to the scheduling back log. I also like the feeling of SUCCESS when I tackle a problem and successfully resolve it, which feels so much better than handing the service center $150 dollars to figure it out."

Obviously, I agree with that. I would hope that kind of motivation would be something that is embraced to the extent of taking some time to learn when things are working, not just when one has a breakdown.

When I worked for a short time as a Service Advisor, I made a great effort to talk to every owner that walked in for service about needing an electrical protection system (for surge and low voltage etc.) While I was there we were selling almost one a day as compared to one the last six months. Frankly, the service manager was unhappy. He wanted me to focus more on the paperwork as they seemed to enjoy more selling $3,500 in electrical repairs for those who were clueless having run across a bad pedestal.

From my point of view, in this industry, owners are better served putting in the time avoiding problems and avoiding going to the repair shops = education. Sure, some shops are great and some technicians are great. And this goes for warranty repairs as well - better to do it yourself if possible. And better to do an excellent PDI for both new and used units...trust only what you verify.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:59 AM   #31

my battery tips

The very first thing I did to my rv was clean and coat the battery posts with these 2 products. it's so simple but it eliminates battery connection problems for a year or so. If you think you are losing connection at a battery, feel of the post, it might be hot to the touch, that's the resistance to voltage producing heat at the terminal. It could be very hot, so be careful.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp crc cleaner.bmp (16.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: bmp crc terminal protector.bmp (57.2 KB, 17 views)
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #32

Quote:
There is more than one way to help somebody. At some point in my past, I seem to remember teaching someone to fish, rather than fishing for somebody, was a good idea.

These days it appears that owners are very motivated to throw fish (ideas) at someone that has an RV problem as the preferred way to do help someone. Not my way, however, as next time they have a problem they are in just as much trouble. And with electricity, you can do more damage messing around not knowing what you are doing and maybe hurt yourself severely as well.

Govt regulations aren't always the way to do things, but sometimes they are. I would be an advocate for a CDL license, as well as a basic operators (electric and propane) license. I also think testing people yearly over 65 should be done (both for visual limitations and mental limitations) to renew their licenses. Yes, I could list other categories of drivers as well.

Yeah, I did plan to leave the forum, some encouraged me to stay, so who knows. I think I'm in the minority when it comes to encouraging and teaching people to become more self-reliant and learn to fish a bit to help them stay on the road more and suffer less problems.
Not sure what this was all about, but wow!! CDL and a license for propane? What about all the homes with gas grills. Seriously, we all have to learn somewhere and this forum is a great place for help and info. I am the first to advocate more self reliance but the over 65 remark was out of line. RV'ers who are Seniors are typically the most experienced, most knowledgable, and most helpful to younger whipper snappers just getting started. At 68 I wear glasses, just got hearing aids, and have 4 different joint replacements, and can compete with some of the best on the forum for common sense repairs and maintance stuff. Have to ask, what motivated you to pick on over 65?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #33

Quote:

I definitely agree that "there is nothing stopping them (RV owners) in these days and times but their own motivation."

And it seems that because of the lack of RV lemon laws there is not a lot of incentive for RV mfgs to make more reliable products or dealers to step up the repair and maintenance downtimes.

So yes, that is why I'm an advocate of stepping up our skills.

I also advocate regular maintenance which some don't agree with either, who have a don't fix it unless it is broken point of view.

Note: I just inspected a beautiful early 2000's Safari mh that I believe will become a piece of junk soon. The owner is just letting the damage and maintenance problems mount up. Enough money to buy it, but not enough money or willingness to fix what is not absolutely required for his usage.
Not real sure of the point of this post.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #34

Thank you camper-bob/don. I couldn't have said it better. Bottom line; I used this forum for an emergency and I got it fixed, and I got an education and realize I must get myself an deeper understanding on my TTelectrival shortcomings(arguably the most difficult and elusive aspect of this lifestyle). So on multiple levels this forum came thru with flying colors. So thank you everyone for your time and knowledge. Very much appreciated.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #35

I've been following this trying to form some type of response, When any of us try to help someone, I think we all share the hope that it's a learning event for the person we are trying to help and they don't overstep their skill level and get hurt.

Everyone buying a RV doesn't have the skills to maintain it. I'm sure Roger has spent most of his adult life or the last 14 years at least, working on or learning how to work on every RV system. Thank God we have people like him to do the things others can't. As is life, different people have different skills.

If I own a 747, should I know how to work on it, I don't think so. I've spent my life in maintenance work, electric motors, Hydraulics, welding, pumps, control systems and plc's as well as my air conditioning business for the last 25 years. Putting aside my building several drag cars as a hobby, how could a person that maybe spent years in college to become a executive and own a RV have the skills to do the work on it too?

I can only assume Roger sees older people without a clue how to fix most things on their rv and gets tired of trying to convince them of what needs to be done to keep it in top shape. Simple things to he and I are totally beyond their skills. Does that mean we shouldn't help them when they ask, I think we all will help others in need, that's the American way.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlied View Post
i've been following this trying to form some type of response, when any of us try to help someone, i think we all share the hope that it's a learning event for the person we are trying to help and they don't overstep their skill level and get hurt.

Everyone buying a rv doesn't have the skills to maintain it. I'm sure roger has spent most of his adult life or the last 14 years at least, working on or learning how to work on every rv system. Thank god we have people like him to do the things others can't. As is life, different people have different skills.

If i own a 747, should i know how to work on it, i don't think so. I've spent my life in maintenance work, electric motors, hydraulics, welding, pumps, control systems and plc's as well as my air conditioning business for the last 25 years. Putting aside my building several drag cars as a hobby, how could a person that maybe spent years in college to become a executive and own a rv have the skills to do the work on it too?

I can only assume roger sees older people without a clue how to fix most things on their rv and gets tired of trying to convince them of what needs to be done to keep it in top shape. Simple things to he and i are totally beyond their skills. Does that mean we shouldn't help them when they ask, i think we all will help others in need, that's the american way.
amen brother
Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #37

Suspect each and every one of us who have been RV'ing for at least 10 years have had one or more situations where the help of a fellow camper or road warrior in an "I'm screwed" situation. A good friend of mine lost the tranny in his TV on the way north from fla last winter. He was driving on the interstate with his 5'er and pulling a fishing boat. A good semariton towed his rig off the hwy to a nearby CG where he helped get the fiver unhitched and set up. The good guy then towed the truck to a diesel shop where over the next 5 days the tranny was repaired. The savior here will go unnamed as he gave of his time and help and accepted only a thanks. My friend, unable to "fish" in this case as he lacked the training to rebuild a tranny, he will forever be grateful for the help he received from this kind and thoughtful man.

Some times it appropriate to teach and sometimes it necessary simply to help. Its important to be able to see the difference and not expect everyone to have the experience or skills that we may have or to judge those who don't.

I would not buy a plane without learning to fly and maintain it, but an RV is sold as a user friendly plug and play kind of vehicle. Everyone was a newbie at one time. We all wish we knew a few things then that we learned later thanks to life experience and a few friends. I take this time to thank all those nameless travelers and bar stool experts who have helped me get on and down the road for the last 45 years. A Merry Christmas to all of you.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I've been following this trying to form some type of response, When any of us try to help someone, I think we all share the hope that it's a learning event for the person we are trying to help and they don't overstep their skill level and get hurt.

Everyone buying a RV doesn't have the skills to maintain it. I'm sure Roger has spent most of his adult life or the last 14 years at least, working on or learning how to work on every RV system. Thank God we have people like him to do the things others can't. As is life, different people have different skills.

If I own a 747, should I know how to work on it, I don't think so. I've spent my life in maintenance work, electric motors, Hydraulics, welding, pumps, control systems and plc's as well as my air conditioning business for the last 25 years. Putting aside my building several drag cars as a hobby, how could a person that maybe spent years in college to become a executive and own a RV have the skills to do the work on it too?

I can only assume Roger sees older people without a clue how to fix most things on their rv and gets tired of trying to convince them of what needs to be done to keep it in top shape. Simple things to he and I are totally beyond their skills. Does that mean we shouldn't help them when they ask, I think we all will help others in need, that's the American way.
+1

I will address one of your points though, as I believe it applies to my station in life. I have spent the better part of my adult life earning a formal education. I have 4 degrees and a professional license; perhaps similar to what one might do to become an "executive". I LOVE learning about the systems in my RV and my vehicles. I LOVE getting my hands dirty and scraping grease out from my nails on the weekends. I spend virtually every free moment I have (which isn't that much really) learning about the technical aspects of my "toys" and my "tools". Perhaps it is in my blood; my dad turned wrenches on cars since he was a teenager; everything from small engines to commercial diesel motors. He still works on them, though these days he's more of a manager, but he's not above getting his hands dirty when duty calls (the man has thrown away many a white collared button-down with irreparable grease stains on them). He has one of my step-brother's cars apart in his garage right now replacing bearings in the engine.

My point is that I spent many years in college, AND I have (at least some) of the skills to work on my RV and my cars. Now granted, I don't have all the knowledge I need, and I'm admittedly weak in certain areas, but I sure am trying. So those of us with extensive formal education, and white collar jobs don't always want to hire out someone to do our "dirty" work. I for one want to do as much of it as I possibly can. Not only for the satisfaction of a job well done, and the obvious money savings, but I like doing it!

I think we all have something to offer, and I am glad it gets offered here on this forum. And I'm SUPER glad that so many people are willing to help other "strangers" with even the simplest of problems.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #39
Site Team

At church, we study about our gifts given by God. One of mine is the gift of service. I would be untrue to my faith if I did not use that gift.

The last thing someone in need needs? is to be told that they should learn something.... but you can't help them?

Just my two cents worth.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #40

After 40 years of owning 10+ RV's from 40' DP motorhomes down to 16' TT's I consider myself to be extremely skilled in the things necessary to maintain an RV. I still learn something new on these forums everyday.