Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Some of y'all are making this more complicated than needed.

The system is designed to switch between two open tanks. There is a gauge that reads whichever tank it is pointed to. When that one empties the regulator switches to the other unit automatically and shows empty on the gauge.

Turn that tank off, turn the switch to the other tank. Take the empty tank and have it filled. Hook the now full tank up and turn it on. When the other tank gets empty it will switch to the now full tank do it all over again. I check the tanks once or so a week, I’ve never run out.

We shut both tanks off when we get home, turn them on when we get ready to head out.
X2
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #22

I don't have a regulator like that. Seems like they draw down at the same rate
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #23

Look up the model you have on the internet for a manual if you don't have one.

An automatic regulator like that makes life much simpler, they cost around $50. Look at the one in post 15.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #24

I will be making some phone calls
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Some of y'all are making this more complicated than needed...
Very true. Sometimes, though, you find interesting things off in the weeds -- and other times just chiggers and poison ivy.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #26

RVer-Bill,
Not all new Jayco travel trailers come with an automatic changeover regulator.
I have a 2015 Jayco 24FBS that came with a manual changeover.
Poppy

BTW, I tap the tanks to give me an idea of how low the propane level is. It's not an accurate guage, but better than nothing.
Happy Camping Y'all!
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #27
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

The system is designed to switch between two open tanks. There is a gauge that reads whichever tank it is pointed to. When that one empties the regulator switches to the other unit automatically and shows empty on the gauge.

Turn that tank off, turn the switch to the other tank. Take the empty tank and have it filled. Hook the now full tank up and turn it on. When the other tank gets empty it will switch to the now full tank do it all over again. I check the tanks once or so a week, I’ve never run out.

We shut both tanks off when we get home, turn them on when we get ready to head out.
This doesn't work for some of us. I have OCD with Alzheimer's and can't remember to check the tanks. Out of sight out of mind. So I keep one shut off until it runs out then switch to the other tank and get the empty one filled. I have never run out of propane this way either as I always have a full tank. I think part of the point is if one has both tanks on and lets the system transfer automatically then one may wind out out of propane unexpantantly. Of course that will happen at the worst possible moment like in the middle of the night during a snow storm.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
My experience with Marshall automatic changeover propane controls has been very positive for the last 13 years; in that time, I've had two different trailers each with the same type Marshall automatic changeover controls. I always leave both tanks on and simply check frequently the green/red indicator. So far, it has switched over without fail.

It looks like Marshall is no longer making them, someone else is according to this ad:
X2. I leave both tanks on and just check the indicator. When it goes red, I switch the lever over to the other tank and go fill the empty one. Never had a problem.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #29

It works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
X2. I leave both tanks on and just check the indicator. When it goes red, I switch the lever over to the other tank and go fill the empty one. Never had a problem.
I check for the red indicator each time we park the trailer at home after trip. If it is red, I flip the lever and take the empty tank to get filled.

Now if I could just figure out why you have to purge the air out of the line if the camper sits for 3-4 weeks with the gas turned on, but none is being used. No the tanks don't empty, but the fridge won't light unless you bleed the air out of the line with the stove.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
RVer-Bill,
Not all new Jayco travel trailers come with an automatic changeover regulator.
I have a 2015 Jayco 24FBS that came with a manual changeover.
Poppy
Yeah many of the Jayflights have the manual changeover regulator. Has never been a problem for me, I open one tank at time. When one is getting light I refill it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #31

Here in Alberta, most places charge a flat fee to refill tanks, and propane isn`t cheap. I have an auto-changeover regulator, one of the first mods I did on the trailer. If I`m paying $32 to get 30 lb tank filled, I want them to put 30 lb in it. I bought a spare 30 lb tank, and keep it full, and rotate out the tanks as they empty. I`ve never used 30 lb in a week, and always have one full tank, plus a partial on the trailer at all times. This 3 tank system works very well for us.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious by Nature View Post
Here in Alberta, most places charge a flat fee to refill tanks, and propane isn`t cheap. I have an auto-changeover regulator, one of the first mods I did on the trailer. If I`m paying $32 to get 30 lb tank filled, I want them to put 30 lb in it. I bought a spare 30 lb tank, and keep it full, and rotate out the tanks as they empty. I`ve never used 30 lb in a week, and always have one full tank, plus a partial on the trailer at all times. This 3 tank system works very well for us.
remind me to never go to Alberta. that may be against just about every law in regards to dispensing anything.

I camp exclusively state side and just top a tank off every 10 days or so...if it takes 3 gallons that is what I pay
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

And another thing... if you develop a leak and both tanks are open it doesn't take long to have no propane. By keeping one tank in reserve you have a chance to realize there is a problem and correct it while still maintaining a propane supply.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #34

When it is going to be cold we use space heater (no boondocking ) let that keep us warm for free
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #35

Here in Georgia and if I remember correctly in Florida also, they charge a flat fee for filling your propane tanks. Well, at least that is the way I remember it. It could also be because I always take an empty tank in to get filled up. I can't remember ever taking a partial tank in to refill.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #36

Thumbs up

Quote:

X2
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Here in Georgia and if I remember correctly in Florida also, they charge a flat fee for filling your propane tanks. Well, at least that is the way I remember it. It could also be because I always take an empty tank in to get filled up. I can't remember ever taking a partial tank in to refill.
I live in GA and where I get it filled they will sell it to you by the gallon or a flat rate which ever is less. I always tell them that there may be some propane still in the tank. That way they are selling it to me by the gallon up front. If the flat rate for a full fill is less then I pay that instead. Many more places are selling it by the gallon now including FL. It all depends on where you get it filled. Usually a gas company like Amerigas is going to be cheaper than a service station. I get mine filled at my local ACE hardware (Amerigas dealer) by the gallon most of the time.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #38
Site Team

There are several places here that will fill partial tanks, and you only pay for what you get.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote