Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #1

EPDM roof cleaning...BarKeepersFriend Anyone?

If you haven't read I just bought a brand new 2010 Jayco Jay Feather 23k 3wks ago from a dealer in MI. The roof looks really good, they resealed the seams before purchase but did not clean it. The roof is nothing horrendous as it has sat for over 2+ yrs in an open lot(no trees) but is quite dirty. I have read all kinds of posts as to what to use to clean the EPDM roof such as AJAX, dish soaps, CAMCO cleaners, and Protect-All Treatments etc as long as it doesn't have petroleum distillates. AJAX has bleach and is abrasive, dish soaps not tough enough same with CAMCO, and Protect-All lots of steps and don't get on sides of TT etc. Has anyone ever tried Bar Keepers Friend? Lot less abrasive than AJAX,COMET, no bleach and easy rinse. I was considering, used before on pop-up canvas and was a miracle, also used in the house for various jobs. Also, if used, should I really re-seal/re-treat using a product i.e. Protect-All to re-seal etc. I have also read Dicor/Alpha System statements to just wash or leave alone. Some say out of sight out of mind especially if you trade-in/sell often enough. I'm keeping this 23k longer than that, took long enough to get this one. The Jayco generic "all model" manual I got with just basically says "clean". I am relying on the endless wisdom of this forum to steer me in the right direction. Any tricks of the trade, do's and dont's besides don't fall of the roof while cleaning? Sorry to beat a dead horse or bring up a tired subject for the veteran TT owners but I'm the kind that wants to know everything a manual won't tell you to keep it as nice and as long as I can. We work too hard for what we have to neglect it once we have it. Thanks for your time.
Reese Strait Line Trunnion Dual Cam WD
Tekonsha P3
cheetahflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Here is the link to Alpha Systems which my manual states is what is on my roof (EPDM). As said they give a few suggestions on what to use.

http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare

I`ve already forgot what I used last time! I think most cleaners are OK, provided they contain no petroleum distillates. Another important thing is to be sure and remember to check the condition of all roof sealants and reseal as necessary when cleaning the roof bi-annually.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #3

I know that I am very lax at my roof cleaning regiment but it is good to get the manufacturers recommendation. It is interesting that they do not recommend any treatment, just cleaning.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

Where in the manual does it tell you what type of roof you have? Dicor or Alpha, EPDM or TPO? I find no info like that in mine cover to cover. I assume EPDM due to the looks/texture of it and that the TT is a 2010. Are all Jayco manuals the same as mine, non trailer model specific? The dealership gave me a manual that covers all Jay Feathers and Eagles combined, even talks about canvas care, pop-up instructions, hybrid use and care, slide-out info etc. They also gave me a 2009 manual as well for some reason. It also doesn't say what type of sealant to use either, just to check and a few recommended places to check. Very vague manual. The "goodie bag" was all in disarray and shoved in a bag like someone had dug through it. Am I missing info? The dealership was horrible on many things...long story...really bad experience.
Tekonsha P3
Old 03-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Site Team

On page 81 of the 2010 Jayflight manual " The rubber roof on your RV is manufactured by Alpha Systems. Read and follow OEM operator`s manual when cleaning the rubber roof. If you have questions , contact your dealer." Very vague. I`m guessing the Jayfeather of the same year would have the same roof, but there are no absolutes with RV`s which I`m becoming more aware of all the time!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

As per my Alpha Systems warranty card, they suggest Ajax, Spic-N-Span or Comet for EPDM Roof. They recommend a soft-bristled scub brush in place of a sponge.
2015 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty 6.4 Hemi Reg Cab 3.73 Gear SRW
Member Long Island Castaways
Member Suffolk Committee For Camping
Grumpygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #7

Okay, don't laugh at the new guy! As many of you know, we are waiting for our new 308 RETS to arrive. All this roof talk got me thinking! How often or what type of maintenance on the roof should we be doing to our new TT!

I'm quite anal (yes ask my wife) about taking care of everything that we've owned (boats, motorcycles, cars, etc..). Figure it's new I'll want to keep it in like new condition so that I don't have issues down the road.

For the most part, our TT will be sitting on a permanent site with just a few trees near by, nothing overtop of the camper.

Okay, you can stop laughing... LOL

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #8

I use LA Totaly awsome cleaner from the dollar store, it works good on just about everything. I use the same brush that i clean the sides with. I treat my roof with 303 protectant since i use that on my vinly seats for the boat. On 303 website they have the specs and application rate for the rubber roofs and for fiberglass.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308rets View Post
Okay, don't laugh at the new guy! As many of you know, we are waiting for our new 308 RETS to arrive. All this roof talk got me thinking! How often or what type of maintenance on the roof should we be doing to our new TT!

I'm quite anal (yes ask my wife) about taking care of everything that we've owned (boats, motorcycles, cars, etc..). Figure it's new I'll want to keep it in like new condition so that I don't have issues down the road.

For the most part, our TT will be sitting on a permanent site with just a few trees near by, nothing overtop of the camper.

Okay, you can stop laughing... LOL

Wash the roof and check the sealants twice a year. (check sealant around roof air vents, TV antenna, front and rear end caps, skylights, frig vents, etc) If roof sealants appear compromised in any way, reseal with Dicor self leveling lap sealant. Check all other seals at this time also, clearance lights, windows, corner moldings, around cargo doors, etc. It is the responsibility of the owner to maintain these seals, even during the warranty period. Not laughing, these are good questions which can save future headaches and heartaches. Water entry is the number one enemy of any RV, and many have found out the hard way their warranty did not cover water damage due to improper seal maintanance.

Alpha Systems roof care: (your roof may or may not be an Alpha, this is general info http://www.alphasystemsinc.com/ProductCare
Old 03-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #10

Thanks Crabman..Good information!

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #11

Thanks Crabman. Here's what my manual says for the roof verbatim under Storage and Maintenance, Exterior Roof and Sidewall Vents pg. 85 "While you are cleaning the exterior roof,also inspect the roof vents(including sealants) for cracks and keep them clean. Inspect the refrigerator and holding tank vents for blockages from bird nests, spider webs, leaves etc. Water heater, furnace and refrigerator exterior doors need to be kept clean and free of obstructions (i.e. insect nests, mud daubers,etc.) while the appliances(if so equipped) are in use." That is the extent of roof maintenace and cleaning I have in my manual and still can't find reference to materials/sealants used and manufacturer. That is why I was wondering if I was missing a roof manual or something. As Grumpygp posted about an Alpha Systems warranty card I never received anything like a roof warranty card. Guess I will contact a dealer or Jayco themselves for more specific info. as to my model.
Tekonsha P3
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #12

Contact Jayco, give them your VIN and request a proper owner's manual. They'll gladly send it free of charge.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #13

Contacted Jayco directly by phone. Gave them my VIN and they confirmed I had the correct manual for my model that covers all JayFeathers and Eagle models in one(no 23k specific manual). They also confirmed that my 2010 JF 23k has an Alpha Systems EDPM rubber roof as I expected. They said to clean with a mild soap, no abrasive/scouring powders, no sealants/waterproofing for roof surface other than seams and seals around vents/skylights etc(use quality Dicor self leveling sealant etc). Also referred me to the Alpha Systems website just like the link Crabman provided. Still amazed at the lack of info in manual about a critical component like the roof surface. There is more info about the toilet operation/maintenance provided than the roof.(a key component in it's own right I guess) Still love Jayco though. Thanks for the suggestions and links posted.
Tekonsha P3
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #14

I want to use Protectall brand, but what's the opinion on frequency. Our trailer sets in a weather proof building 24/7 and only is used two to three weeks a year. Our 1997 230SL that we sold last fall the roof looked like new the sealant was still soft.