Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2015, 09:08 AM   #1

ESSENTIAL Equipment for a newbie

Hi all, we are picking up our new 2015 White Hawk 24rdb this Friday, and are extremely excited! This is our first rv, and we look forward to lots of good times.

I have a fair number of friends and family who have rv's of varying sorts, but little/no personal experience. We are planning a "shakedown" trip to a campground near our house to get a feel for things. One of the questions I have is what equipment I absolutely HAVE to have before heading out. I am speaking specifically about equipment/supplies that relate to the trailer, not general camping.

I found great information here, particularly from the reply by WIBadger:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...d-19508-2.html

I was just wondering if anyone had any additional advice for the "first time" user.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your TT and welcome to the forum. You ask what are the things you really need, well I am sure you will receive a lot of suggestions from the members.

From the electrical side of the house:
- A Volt/Ohm electrical meter (needed for troubleshooting electrical problems)
- A 30 Amp to 50 Amp plug converter (in case the CG's 30Amp outlet is defective
- A 30 Amp to 15 Amp plug converter (to plug the TT into your home's wall outlet, but do not turn on the TT's AC, using this option)
- A 110VAC outlet checker (in case the CG is wired wrong)
- A 110VAC outlet voltage checker (in case CG has AC service issues)

Hopefully, you will never need any of them, but past experiences would suggest that you have them.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical Basics.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #3

IN addition to what is listed in the posts you referenced, I would make sure you have a few extra fuses for your trailer jack. Experience has shown you WILL need these at some point. Typically 30 amp but may be different on your RV. if you hold the button down a tad longer than you should you will blow the fuse.

I would assume you have brake controller for your TV, but that is essential.

Good Luck and enjoy your new RV

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Top ten must haves, and more:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ting-5081.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
First off, CONGRATULATIONS on your TT and welcome to the forum. You ask what are the things you really need, well I am sure you will receive a lot of suggestions from the members.

From the electrical side of the house:
- A Volt/Ohm electrical meter (needed for troubleshooting electrical problems)
- A 30 Amp to 50 Amp plug converter (in case the CG's 30Amp outlet is defective
- A 30 Amp to 15 Amp plug converter (to plug the TT into your home's wall outlet, but do not turn on the TT's AC, using this option)
- A 110VAC outlet checker (in case the CG is wired wrong)
- A 110VAC outlet voltage checker (in case CG has AC service issues)

Hopefully, you will never need any of them, but past experiences would suggest that you have them.

Don
Use the items shown to check every power outlet you plan to plug into before you plug in your trailer. Be sure to flip off the power pole circuit breaker before you lug in your trailer.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 AM   #6

Great information, all. Thanks!

Regarding fuses, are those general items I can pick up anywhere, or should I buy them from the RV store - who I am sure will be happy to sell them to me, but I would guess would not be the cheapest option.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott View Post
Great information, all. Thanks!

Regarding fuses, are those general items I can pick up anywhere, or should I buy them from the RV store - who I am sure will be happy to sell them to me, but I would guess would not be the cheapest option.
It depends on the type of fuses you have. If they are this type:

You can buy them at any auto parts store.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #8

Besides some hand tools be sure you have what you need to change a tire on the TT.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:09 PM   #9

Congrats on the new rig!!!!

IMO per WIBadgers list 2x4' are are to narrow, though may be easier to store. I would suggest either the Lego blocks or at minimum, 2x8's, if not 2x10's or 12's. The 10/12's will be easier to "aligning" and not have a tire off the edge, which can damage the tire sitting on an edge like that. I have 2x8's I place a 4x6 on top of for the scissor stabilizer jacks. The less extended, the sturdier they are generally.

Regular wheel chocks placed before unhooking the truck as mentioned. X-Chocks are only to help prevent the trailer "rocking a little" when set up, not prevent/ stop a roll away trailer.

Air compressor capable of airing the truck or trailer tires up. Jack, tools and boards for a tire change if need be.

May have missed it, but a 30amp extension cord. Just like the water hook up, never know where the electric may be!!!

Have fun!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

Congrats! I just returned from our first trip. A 21 day 7000 mile cross country learning experience... I recommend against this method, but it was fun.

I bought one of these to protect the electrical system and it seems to work well. I like it because it is constant protection. Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT50C 50 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive

I also recommend having the 50amp adapter. One of my stops only had 50 amp receptacles and I had to run carefully off a 20amp circuit. (Which was easier to do safely when I could see from the above EMS what my actual power draw was.)

I would buy a new sewer hose right now. The cheap ones that come in starter kits will develop a pinhole leak after not too many uses and are too short. I had to buy a new hose at WalMart a week into my trip. At least I didn't have to do it at a campground. Supplies at campgrounds come with at a significant premium.

Don't forget to get a cheapo standard garden hose to use for your black tank flush.

Speaking of the blank tank, definitely have a box of rubber gloves and use them every single time. It might seem a little like a waste after you get the routine down, but pulling off the drain cover only to discover you forgot to close the black tank valve is bad enough without having been lazy and not putting on the gloves because it was "routine."

I store my fresh water hose and adapters in a separate compartment separately from all the dumping gear. Don't want those near each other. I think I'm going to store the dumping gear in a closing plastic bin in the future.
TrailerScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #11

One motto I have is buy it right the first time - spend a little more for a brass regulator, good sewer hose, etc. They tried to sell us the "cheap" bucket of starter stuff, and I could see right away that most of it would need replaced within a couple of trips. Like many said:
- two water hoses, a filter, regulator.
- A 30 amp extension cord is good too - had to borrow one from a campground once (if you come up short on something, campgrounds and fellow campers will usually help out).
- I bought two bags of the Camco leveling blocks and they come in handy.
- Chocks (I like my X type).
- Some scrap wood for under the leveling jacks.
- We picked up some totes with locking lids for all of our storage areas.
- 20ft of sewer hose with an elbow.
- I find the sewer hose support (ours is a sidewinder) is very handy.
- a cheap folding table for outside cooking, etc
- flashlights

Most of all, just have fun! Each time you go, you will have a list of things for next time. Don't stress about every little detail, and don't be afraid to ask your fellow campers - I have found it to be a friendly like-minded community for the most part...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #12

You all have a been a wealth of exceptional information! We go tomorrow to pick up the trailer from Camping World.

I am a big Amazon guy (Prime membership, etc), and that's where I do a lot of my buying. I've already bought quite a few supplies (Rhino hose, Camco water filter and hookup, etc) from Amazon - in each case, it seemed the price was better at Amazon than CW. Has anyone found that there are supplies that are best purchased at Camping World - specifically in store?

Once again, great thanks for your generosity with your experience and expertise.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #13

Congrats on the new trailer! I second the Progessive Industries EMS from an earlier post. We have the 30amp version and it has already caught low voltage and open ground faults. A very worthwhile investment. Also, get a clear elbow for your sewer connection so that you can verify when your black tank dump is running clean.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #14

Welcome and enjoy. We do our serious cooking outside usually moving the standard picnic table partially under the awning ('usually' protects agains rain), use a two burner propane stove for morning coffee (always perk my coffee) and misc cooking, small propane grill, and lastly items for doing dogs, marshmellows, etc etc over campfire...

Larry J
2015 264BHW
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
IN addition to what is listed in the posts you referenced, I would make sure you have a few extra fuses for your trailer jack. Experience has shown you WILL need these at some point. Typically 30 amp but may be different on your RV. if you hold the button down a tad longer than you should you will blow the fuse.

I would assume you have brake controller for your TV, but that is essential.

Good Luck and enjoy your new RV
You called it, wags999. We brought our new "baby" home in the rain late last Friday night. After a 2.5 hour drive, I was trying to run down the hydraulic jack and realized I had NO power from the new battery. Luckily, I could plug in (I had a 30 amp outlet installed in the shed where I keep the camper) so we could disconnect the trailer and get the slides open, etc. The next morning, I went out to see what was wrong and found a broken fuse on the battery itself - a result of a really poor job the dealership did with the connection. They basically made up the battery connection with an old wire nut, 2 loops of electrical tape, and a prayer. It was pretty easy to fix.

We spent Saturday night in the trailer, and tried out all the systems except for the toilet/black tank. So far the only problem I have found that I couldn't handle is that my water heater will not work under electrical power. I keep getting an alarm fault when I try to switch from LP to electrical. I've read the manual and checked the simple stuff, but trying to figure out the electronics in the water heater panel is a bit above my skill level.

We are going to go for our "checkout" trip this coming weekend at a campground just 5 miles from home. After that, I figured I would call the dealer and set up a time to get the water heater (and any other issues that arise) fixed.

So far, so good. Thanks to all for your great advice and warm wishes!

2015 White Hawk 24 RDB
2003 Ford F150 Supercrew
Attached Thumbnails
Truck_Trailer.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #16

First of congratulations on your new rig ... I've been doing the RV thing for 34 years, on my 6th trailer and it never gets old.

There are lots of great suggestions from other on essentials. Let me add one more.
Attached Thumbnails
budweiser_can_detail.jpg  

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcloss View Post
First of congratulations on your new rig ... I've been doing the RV thing for 34 years, on my 6th trailer and it never gets old.

There are lots of great suggestions from other on essentials. Let me add one more.
I really like your suggestion! I'm not from Texas, but my favorite "essential" of that type is from there:
Attached Thumbnails
88573000078.jpg  
Old 09-29-2015, 11:46 AM   #18

Congratulations on your new "baby". We brought our first TT home in January and like yourself we were trying to figure out everything we needed.

A shake down stay close to home the first weekend we found was the best thing we could have done. If we needed it we could grab it and if we needed help with something it was only a phone call away.

We have found this year that making a check list of things is a huge help. We run down the list as we plan and pack for a trip. Also we keep a small note book in the camper that we jot down notes and items in for the next trip. Keep in mind if its something you use at home regularly you'll probably want on in the TT.

It will take a few trips but everything will have a place and you'll make a few modifications to things so that they fit your needs better. Its a lot of fun and great way to see some wonderful places.
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Electronic Brake Control
Derale 13950 Atomic-Cool Remote Transmission Cooler
Jon-Laura N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time out, first time owner