Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2015, 01:24 AM   #1

essentials for new camper + maxxfan?

I have just ordered a 26BH what are some essentials I should get to go along with the purchase. What are some things I should keep in the trailer for camping and with only one vent in the bathroom would a maxxfan be a good idea no plans on boondocking and got the 15k btu ac option so not sure if that upgrade would be worth the money. any and all suggestions are appreciated!!!!!
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:45 AM   #2

I've never needed a larger fan. When I come back and it's real hot inside I open all the windows, turn on the fan for a short time and it cools it off just fine. Your 15k AC is more than enough for a 26bh.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:32 AM   #3

We just ordered our third TT this time I ordered every possible option we could get with the exception of the 15K air (we live in Michigan along the lake and it doesn't get that hot). We upgraded to the elite package and had the factory trailer hitch installed for a cargo rack on the back.

We also ordered:
1.Honey wagon (we camp in lots of state parks with power but no water or sewer onsite)
2.Extra sewer hoses, a expanding sewer hose support.
3.Extra sewer fittings (clear) to make sure our tanks were good and clean when dumping.
4.Different size patio mats for different conditions.
5.Leveling pads & jack pads in different sizes.
6.Had levels mounted to front and side so I didn't have to run in and out with a torpedo level on the galley counter.
7.Extra battery added for using furnace when stopping for the night in cold weather.
8.Aluminum truck box mounted to tongue of trailer for batteries and extra storage.

I would also carry electric heaters so you don't have to always run the furnace.

We camp quite a bit and a lot of the stuff we ordered I always wanted (just not always bad enough to spend the money). So when we ordered the new unit I figured I would get everything I could to make things easier and more enjoyable. For us camping is vacation and the less time we spend setting up and tearing down the more time we have to relax and enjoy the kids.
Plaid, Mrs. Plaid, Kids Sage & Bear
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #4

Get a surge protector! Mine has saved me on two occasions just in the last year.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #5

Maxx-Air vent cover, you can leave your vents open when it's raining, I did leave my roof vent open for a week and there was no water inside
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Maxx-Air vent cover, you can leave your vents open when it's raining, I did leave my roof vent open for a week and there was no water inside

Installed on my 5er a few years back. Will be on next RV for sure.
krsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #7

The OEM fan/vent in a new TT is nothing more than a stink fan. The fantastic fan is a true vent fan that will eliminate heat built up after a day in the sun or cool down a TT in minutes as the evening cools outside. Best $150 you can spend along with a MaxAirII vent cover.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #8

I put in a Hengs Vortex in the kitchen vent. It flat out moves some air. Easy install in existing vent and about a third the cost of maxair. Well satisfied with it. Took all of 20 minutes to install.
I'd reccommend a plug in voltmeter so you know what's going on in the electrical load/ available voltage department
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #9

thanks for all the suggestions- good call on the clear fittings plaid I would have never though of that one!!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

A good quality water filter for drinking and cooking. I put in a separate faucet at the kitchen sink to filter the water, saves on packing bottled water.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
We just ordered our third TT this time I ordered every possible option we could get with the exception of the 15K air (we live in Michigan along the lake and it doesn't get that hot). We upgraded to the elite package and had the factory trailer hitch installed for a cargo rack on the back.

We also ordered:
1.Honey wagon (we camp in lots of state parks with power but no water or sewer onsite)
2.Extra sewer hoses, a expanding sewer hose support.
3.Extra sewer fittings (clear) to make sure our tanks were good and clean when dumping.
4.Different size patio mats for different conditions.
5.Leveling pads & jack pads in different sizes.
6.Had levels mounted to front and side so I didn't have to run in and out with a torpedo level on the galley counter.
7.Extra battery added for using furnace when stopping for the night in cold weather.
8.Aluminum truck box mounted to tongue of trailer for batteries and extra storage.

I would also carry electric heaters so you don't have to always run the furnace.

We camp quite a bit and a lot of the stuff we ordered I always wanted (just not always bad enough to spend the money). So when we ordered the new unit I figured I would get everything I could to make things easier and more enjoyable. For us camping is vacation and the less time we spend setting up and tearing down the more time we have to relax and enjoy the kids.
Did you actually order all this when you bought your RV? These do not sound like "options" offered by Jayco or a dealer. These are items you can order online or pick up at any Camping World or most at Walmart for a lot less than what a dealer would charge. Not a bad list of "Mods" but they are not optional adds to a new RV.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #12

I would suggest buying bedding, cooking/eating supplies, towels, cleaning product, etc. that you can leave in the trailer so that you don't have to load and unload everything when its time to hit the road. We only have to pack clothes and food most of the time when its go time!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...pic32337_2.gif
Chris P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #13

The first thing I've done after getting my trailer was to swap an OEM fan for a maxxfan. It is not only useful in the summer but also in winter. Went camping near a ski resort in PA in December last year. Temperature was around 23 day and 17 night for three days. First night, had a dihumidifier on to prevent condensation, did not work that well. After that I turned the maxxfan on low and left it on for the remaining of the trip. What a difference in condensation amount. Had furnace as a secondary heat source, mostly run on electric heaters staying around 68 inside, the trailer is 33 feet long and the fan is located at the end of it , in the bathroom. That's how powerful it is. Get on
Old 01-16-2015, 01:58 PM   #14

I really enjoy the electric jack and cordless drill with socket for the stabilizers.

X2 on bedding and kitchen supplies.

RV bathroom paper, scent tablets for the tanks, broom and dustpan, electric space heater, rugs, table and grill for outside cooking, tools, extra fuses, bug repellant, FIRST AID KIT, and the list goes on.

Congrats on your new camper. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:19 PM   #15

great idea with the drill and socket !!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:04 AM   #16
Site Team

Top ten must haves, and so much more:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ighlight=haves
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote