Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #1

Excessive tire wear on one tire

My 2011 29RLS has about 5,000 miles. While inspecting the tires I noticed that only the right rear tire has excessive wear on the inner one third of the tire.
I always maintain the recommended 50lb pressure.
Are there suggestions as to what might be causing the wear?

I plan on installing the spare tire and traveling to the dealer which is about 200 miles away. Is this a good plan?

Thanks so much.
Great Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 PM   #2

Tire balance and weight distribution are the two suspects in my mind

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #3

Have you checked the lugs nuts for tightness? Does the wheel show evidence of a strike?

The uneven wear that you describe on one tire out of four might point to a mechanical problem with that position. Something may be allowing the tire to change position rather than tracking properly. Some possibilities which come to my mind would be something bent, a spring problem, an improperly adjusted or failing wheel bearing. or other mechanical issue. A failing wheel bearing often will cause a noticeably elevated temperature on one hub as compared to the others. It may also be noisy, but that is difficult to hear unless someone is riding along with the bad bearing.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #4

Another possibility is a broken belt in the tread. This is a common failure of trailer tires. If you closely inspect the tire, is the tread of the tire even all the way around? Or is the tread pattern wavy or bulging slightly along one side of the tire? Sometimes a broken belt can make a tire slightly egg shaped. If you can, safely raise the axle slightly so you can spin the tire slowly. Let your hand ride on lightly on the tread and see if there is any unevenness in the tread.

If there is a broken belt, certainly changing to the spare is a good idea. And if there is a broken belt, unless you have a special road hazard warranty it's unlikely to be covered by a warranty and a trip to the nearest tire store might be in order, instead of going to the dealer.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:17 PM   #5

I had the same issue. It was a bent axle!! Jayco replaced it when it went back for other repairs.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #6

i would take it to a frame shop that has the capability of determining if it has a bent axle. Your dealer does not have that capability. I had quite a time getting them to address the axle issue because the dealer simply wasn't equipped for the diagnostics. If all other tires are about the same, the problem is most likely a bent axle.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #7

For what it's worth, my 5th wheel with a bent axle was also A 2011 model.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #8

Had same issue with my x213. Had a heavy equipment shop do an alignement and there was excessive toe-in on the wheel. Will see how it goes this year
RobertCowdery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #9

This seems to happen much more than it should. Most people would never know if they have a issue because they don't put that many miles on their rig . It's usually time to replace the tires from age first. I usually travel in the winter for a few months and have seen it quite often . Once they have it corrected they never have a issue again .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #10

I had the same problem, turned out to be a bent axle.
Jayco covered the axle and tire!
snookwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote