Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #41

That picture shows a white sticker on the receptacle. If it is a standard receptacle in the bathroom, that sticker should say, "GFCI protected outlet". If that is the case, it is "downstream from another GFCI.
Questions:
1. Since this is a 2015 unit, did the outlets EVER work, or are you just finding out that they don't??
If they never worked, something probably got put together wrong at the factory. If that's the case, the odds are pointing to the GFCI being wired wrong.
Maybe they are trying to save money by using only one GFCI, as they are expensive. Certainly not legal to wire a bathroom receptacle off a kitchen GFCI in residential wiring, but I'm not familiar with Mobile unit code requirements.
I do know that it is real easy to mis-wire a GFCI if you aren't paying attention, and it can be mis-wired several ways.
Not criticizing Jayco's QC department, but when you're working on the Quota system, somethings are bound to get missed. Found two obvious misses on my own unit that should have been caught at the factory. They weren't what I considered major, I fixed them myself. Just sayin'…………..
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegsmi98 View Post
Both blue lights are lit....
I'm sitting here wondering about you running around in the dark, but I guess it's not 11pm in Nebraska?

I think all will be well when you get 50a service or at least power from other than a 15a GFCI outlet. I would try that dogbone at a cg in a 30a outlet.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #43

well good luck ... I wouldn't worry too much about it like norty says I think all will be well when you get it hooked up to a 30 or 50 amp service
Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I'm sitting here wondering about you running around in the dark, but I guess it's not 11pm in Nebraska?

I think all will be well when you get 50a service or at least power from other than a 15a GFCI outlet. I would try that dogbone at a cg in a 30a outlet.
OK thanks rryman, norty and paintin. I tried another outlet and had two nice blue lights still 3 outlets no power. Rryman it is brand new and did work.

At this point I unplugged everything will give it a try again tomorrow. Maybe it is something with my polarity or something with the gfci in line. Not sure but I to am thinking when we get plugged into 50 amp all will be well. Keep throwing suggestions my wife thinks I'm nuts jumping up every few minutes throwing my coat on and running outside to look or try something different.
Pegsmi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #45

………….my wife thinks I'm nuts jumping up every few minutes throwing my coat on and running outside to look or try something different.

Hey, that's all right, it makes them wonder what you'll do next!!!!!!!

What exactly do you mean by "with the GFCI in line".? Are you referring to the one in the TT or is the unit plugged into a GFCI circuit? My unit is plugged into the garage circuit which is GFCI protected, and that can cause problems sometimes when you're doing troubleshooting in the unit.
So, if you know it worked before, there is a low possibility that any wiring is wrong or mis-wired. But, something may have come loose.
When I used to do trouble shooting in a house, I would ask the home owner what was the last thing they remembered doing before the circuit went off. Despite getting some puzzled looks, more times than not their answer would point me in the right direction. Whatever your problem is, I would bet that it will turn out to be a real simple fix.
Loris, South Carolina.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #46

If you have a 50 amp service , which is 2 120 legs, and you plug into a 30 or 20 0r 15 amp single 120 line I bet thats your problem. You lose one leg in your breaker box. Everything 12 volt would work but not some of the 120 volt outlets.. They break them in half for the 120 stuff (A/C also) but supply power to the 12 volt inverter.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:57 PM   #47

…………..If you have a 50 amp service , which is 2 120 legs, and you plug into a 30 or 20 0r 15 amp single 120 line I bet thats your problem. You lose one leg in your breaker box.
=====Bingo!!!!! That's the best solution I've heard yet. All I've ever dealt with are 30 amp RV circuits. Think you may have hit it Wags.
Loris, South Carolina.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #48

You can get a Y adapter cord, that you plug into two 120 lines. Then you would have power to everything, with the limits being what amperage you are plugged into. 50 Amp 125/250V RV Female - (2) 30 Amp RV Male Plugs Y-Adapter with Powersmart LED's - Furrion F5431RY-SB - Electrical Adapters - Camping World These come in different amperage and hence, different plugs. Often one 30 amp plug and one 20 amp std plug.
Good Luck..

Old 03-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryman View Post
…………..If you have a 50 amp service , which is 2 120 legs, and you plug into a 30 or 20 0r 15 amp single 120 line I bet thats your problem. You lose one leg in your breaker box.
=====Bingo!!!!! That's the best solution I've heard yet. All I've ever dealt with are 30 amp RV circuits. Think you may have hit it Wags.
This is not correct. A 30 amp male to 50 amp female dog bone will tie the two RV hot legs together. All 120V items will work as long as your total amps does not exceed 30 amps. Should you exceed the 30 amps the pedestal breaker will trip...not the RV breaker. The only things in the RV that will not work is anything requiring 240V...a possibly clothes dryer?

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #50

Thanks for all the help.

I plugged back in this morning and still no luck. Both lights are on blue on the cord. The outlet did work as I had our 01 excursion plugged in all week since we brought it home.

I had first thought the excursion was pulling to much amperage but it is a 1500 watt heater and it was good for 6 days. This also would be no different than a little heater or q couple crock pots outside, heater inside of course.

I am baffled and think a wire is loose as I cannot find another gfci. I think there may also be something with being plugged into the gfci in my garage via two dog bones, however like I said both little blue lights are on.

I will await jayco response and or when we plug into 50 amp this next weekend.

If you guys have anything else ease throw it up here. I would prefer not to pull the outside outlet they did a good silicon job on it.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #51

Most trailers are required to have a GFCI RECEPTACLE where people come in contact with water.

My 2005 5th wheel trailer has a GFCI receptacle in the kitchen, bath room, bedroom vanity area with sink.

My outside EXTERNAL 120VAC Receptacle is slaved to the kitchen GFCI receptacle.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #52

Here's what I would do. I would try to isolate the issue and it likely won't be easy without a wiring diagram but you can do it. Get a pad and pencil

Shut off all the breakers.
Turn them on one at a time, noting on your pad what each one controls (as best you can) trying to find out which breaker controls what, you will kind of make your own diagram. Turn that breaker off and try the next one.

*Hopefully* you will get one breaker which seems to do nothing. This would then be the suspect circuit and I would remove the panel covering the breakers and check that breaker to insure it is working and the wires are connected properly.

If you do not find a breaker which does nothing, then the problem is in the wiring between the outlets. I would then remove each outlet and check the wiring.

Of course being under warranty, send it back to the dealer to be repaired is an option as well, but if you are able to isolate the issue it will be far easier to describe.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:24 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
This is not correct. A 30 amp male to 50 amp female dog bone will tie the two RV hot legs together. All 120V items will work as long as your total amps does not exceed 30 amps. Should you exceed the 30 amps the pedestal breaker will trip...not the RV breaker. The only things in the RV that will not work is anything requiring 240V...a possibly clothes dryer?

That is not correct. When you have 50 amp service, you have 2 120 volt 50 amp lines, for a total available 100 amps at 120 volts. When you have 30 amp service you have 1 120 volt 30 amp line. On a 50 amp rig, each leg of the 120 ( this has to be phased) will provide power to roughly 1/2 of the 120 volt outlets. All your 12 volt outlets will work on one leg. When you use a 30 amp dog bone, you will only power 1 AC and a portion of the outlet, not all. There is no way to "tie them together", if there was, then you could use either of your AC which is not the case. Using the 30 amp dog bone will give you 1/3 total power available of the 50 amp service.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
That is not correct. When you have 50 amp service, you have 2 120 volt 50 amp lines, for a total available 100 amps at 120 volts. When you have 30 amp service you have 1 120 volt 30 amp line. On a 50 amp rig, each leg of the 120 ( this has to be phased) will provide power to roughly 1/2 of the 120 volt outlets. All your 12 volt outlets will work on one leg. When you use a 30 amp dog bone, you will only power 1 AC and a portion of the outlet, not all. There is no way to "tie them together", if there was, then you could use either of your AC which is not the case. Using the 30 amp dog bone will give you 1/3 total power available of the 50 amp service.
I will not enter into an argument over this but your information is NOT accurate and only adds to the confusion.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #55
Site Team

External Outlet quit working (fuses and breakers good)

I agree with Tnchuck . This is what a 30-50 dogbone adapter does. I have camped in 30a parks and even have a 30a at my home feeding my camper thru a dogbone.
ALL outlets and appliances work, just not at the same time!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #56

Without getting into the details, I can say with 100% certainty that my 30A / 50A adapter provides power to BOTH legs in my 5th. 100% of my outlets and both A/C's receive power. Of course I can't use it all at the same time, but every single outlet, A/C, appliance etc receives power.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #57
Site Team

On my rig the GFCI outlet. Right in front of the entrance door feeds the outside outlets.

Good luck with your trip. I don't think this is some great mishap. Let us know when you find it.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 03-06-2015, 07:56 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
On my rig the GFCI outlet. Right in front of the entrance door feeds the outside outlets.

Good luck with your trip. I don't think this is some great mishap. Let us know when you find it.
I absolutely will. Get one heck of a turn out on this thread and all is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #59

Do you have the outside kitchen? If so did you check the outlets out there?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #60

now beginning to agree with nylyon there might be a breaker that over heated and quit working or a loose wire to the breaker ... if you diagram as he said with a 120 plug tester what goes to what breaker maybe you can isolate the one that isn't feeding the plugs that aren't working ... I don't know how many plugs are attached to each breaker but the amount not working sounds about right to me .... keep us posted sorry we haven't been able to help you figure it out