Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jm9301 View Post
I find this statement confusing. Would you not be disappointed if your brand new 20k + camper was going to be months later than planned? That is 6 weeks of Summertime camping that will be missed out on, especially if OP lives in an area with cold winters.
Unless OP lives where you have year around camping, and he can take off work any time in August, his "new" trailer will be a year-old used one by the time he gets to use it next year. The dealership's lack of communication is inexcusable, although not surprising.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #22

Got mine about a month late. Did the PDI and hurried back home. Water intake for the toilet leaked. They did not pressurized the water system at any time to check for leaks. Easy fix and love our new Jayco 324 BHTS.
newhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Unless OP lives where you have year around camping, and he can take off work any time in August, his "new" trailer will be a year-old used one by the time he gets to use it next year. The dealership's lack of communication is inexcusable, although not surprising.
That's quite a leap...

I'm in the exact same postion as the OP. I know my dealer personally, he has absolutely zero reason to make promises he can't keep, or lie to me, or to call me once a week to tell me the trailer isn't here yet.

I speak to him a few times a week because we are friends not because I am calling to check on my trailer (OK maybe sometimes I am...) I've been in the room on conference calls with his Jayco rep on the line. Sometimes there is very little information to share. I've heard the Jayco rep refer to their process as a batch process, specifically in reference to how the sides are produced. I do not know if that means floorplans, models or otherwise, but I have heard the term "batch" used many times so it must mean something. If my dealer could give me more information he would, he has more skin in the game at this point than I do. My trailer was supposed to come off line yesterday, but it did not. He could call and make a stink, but the end result is that the trailer is not completed yet. My friend was very clear when I ordered the unit in April that it could be anywhere from late June to early August before I received it and that while they hoped for it to be earlier there is little he can do to change it. My friend also took another order for the same floorplan I ordered about a month later and that unit did not make the cutoff and has an anticpated delivery date in September. I was in the room when this was discussed with a Jayco rep and again the terms "batch" "quota" "threshold" and "cutoff date" was used many times by the dealer and the rep.

What does all this mean? I don't know... It doesn't really matter. The net result is that when you order a trailer you do not get a guaranteed delivery date, you get a window and a fairly wide one at that.

I understand the OP being disappointed, but I just can't buy into the whole beat up on the dealer mentality and the camping season is ruined over one missed trip. The trailer is going to be a year old next year whether it's camped in once or fifty times so that makes no sense to me.

I might suggest that the OP get a tent and take the trip anyway, it's about being with family and the experience anyway, not the trailer.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
That's quite a leap...

I'm in the exact same postion as the OP. I know my dealer personally, he has absolutely zero reason to make promises he can't keep, or lie to me, or to call me once a week to tell me the trailer isn't here yet.
I reread the OP's post. He said "After multiple calls to our dealer (messages left with no response received)" And that the dealer only called on the day delivery was scheduled to say it wasn't in. I don't think it's unreasonable to be critical of that dealership. Someone could have explained the batch process to OP. From the posts on this thread, it's no secret.

As far as my dealer, they've been great throughout the whole process. So I don't have it in for dealerships generally.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I reread the OP's post. He said "After multiple calls to our dealer (messages left with no response received)" And that the dealer only called on the day delivery was scheduled to say it wasn't in. I don't think it's unreasonable to be critical of that dealership. Someone could have explained the batch process to OP. From the posts on this thread, it's no secret.

As far as my dealer, they've been great throughout the whole process. So I don't have it in for dealerships generally.

Yes, I agree that it's unprofessional for a customers calls to be left unanswered, even if there is no information to share. However we don't know if those calls were all in one month, one week, or one day... the OP didn't elaborate.

I hope that the trailer gets delivered soon. These can go from no status, to it's here rather quickly.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:15 PM   #26
ODH

I would call Jayco and ask for the date that the order was placed. This would determine if the dealer was the cause of the delay.
ODH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:15 AM   #27

I believe that most RV manufacturers including Jayco will try and group specific models or floor plans into a production run to simplify the assembly process.
It would be hard for a dealer to know the volume or numbers of each model and how the production line calendar will be set.
We have ordered 3 TT's over the past 15 years(not all Jayco) and it was not until we ordered our Jayco that I understood how this works.
Assembly by grouping ordered whether they be customers orders or for a dealers lot inventory makes sense to me and probably makes for less error on the line.
As they go down the line each TT is not in the order of the time the order was placed.
MikeDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:26 AM   #28

It might also have something to do with the fact that Jayco somewhat redesigned the Eagle TT line this year with bigger, taller slides to accommodate the residential refrigerators. I could see where the new design worked ok during their prototype builds but when they went into actual production, there were issues that needed to be worked out. Just a thought.
blujay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
It might also have something to do with the fact that Jayco somewhat redesigned the Eagle TT line this year with bigger, taller slides to accommodate the residential refrigerators. I could see where the new design worked ok during their prototype builds but when they went into actual production, there were issues that needed to be worked out. Just a thought.
Wouldn't disagree. But none of that and/or the batch build of certain models at certain times is any excuse for the OP hearing nothing about delivery until the day he was to have picked it up.
'14 Denali XL
Old 06-22-2016, 06:57 AM   #30

The calls were made to the dealer over a number of weeks. I should note that my step-father owned a Jayco dealership for 40+ years. He retired 9 - 10 years ago though so it's possible that processes have changed at Jayco. I also know that trailers do get delayed. I don't ever remember Jayco missing a build date by 6 weeks though I suppose it could have happened. The excuse I was given from the salesman was that the rep told them Jayco was running behind. If it was a supplier issue with one of the component manufacturers I could understand that as well. "Running behind" by 6 weeks doesn't make sense. Their schedulers are better than that.

My real gripe is with the salesman/dealership. When a customer puts a deposit on a to-order unit, they deserve a phone call if build dates change. Not every day or every week, I don't need my hand held but when I do call I believe I deserve a return call. When I don't get a return call I assume (I know, I know) that there is nothing new to report.

Some calls are hard to make because the news isn't good, but the calls still have to be made.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Excellent thought. I've often started a project and said "Well, it looked good on paper". When I worked for an auto dealer it became painfully clear that engineers didn't design things that they themselves had to build or repair.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
The calls were made to the dealer over a number of weeks. I should note that my step-father owned a Jayco dealership for 40+ years. He retired 9 - 10 years ago though so it's possible that processes have changed at Jayco. I also know that trailers do get delayed. I don't ever remember Jayco missing a build date by 6 weeks though I suppose it could have happened. The excuse I was given from the salesman was that the rep told them Jayco was running behind. If it was a supplier issue with one of the component manufacturers I could understand that as well. "Running behind" by 6 weeks doesn't make sense. Their schedulers are better than that.

My real gripe is with the salesman/dealership. When a customer puts a deposit on a to-order unit, they deserve a phone call if build dates change. Not every day or every week, I don't need my hand held but when I do call I believe I deserve a return call. When I don't get a return call I assume (I know, I know) that there is nothing new to report.

Some calls are hard to make because the news isn't good, but the calls still have to be made.
I understand now and yes I would be irritated with them not returning my calls as well how you describe it here.

I'm not sure what the deal but I do imagine it has something to do with the redesign, as well. I'm getting antsy for mine to be completed and get the call that it is on its way too.

In any event I hope that your rig comes in shortly, that there are no significant issues to deal with (Id like to say none... but we all know there is going to be something) and that your able to enjoy some trips out in it with your family.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #33

Thought I'd check in to see if bwalton got your tt yet. I ordered mine may 26 and was told today that the estimated time of 6-8 weeks got pushed back to 13-15 weeks. I only found this out by calling jayco myself. Dealer told me yesterday they expect it this week. They've changed their story now. I too am disappointed.
nisbitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 AM   #34

No trailer yet. Last two conversations I had with the dealer went like this:

call to Salesman: "the trailer is scheduled to come off line the 15th."

Follow-up two weeks later, Salesman not available so I spoke to Sales manager: "the trailer is coming off sometime in July

me: "you don't have a date that it is scheduled to come off line."

SM: "no, I can just tell you sometime in July".

I also ended up calling Jayco. The dealer's factory rep was great. He apoligized for the delay and stated that they had in fact become back-logged. He didn't pinpoint the reasons.

Long story short, the trailer is scheduled to come off line JUly 25. I'm not going to hold my breath though. From now on I am bypassig the dealer and going straight to the factory rep.

I signed the sales order April 28th. Jayco shows the trailer ordered by the dealer on May 2 so they didn't really delay in ordering.

I would count on at least 12 weeks from order to build and then another week or two until it is delivered to the dealer depending on where you are in relationship to the factory and how your dealer handles transportation.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #35

It took approximately 12 weeks for my order to arrive at the dealership. Ordered 11/1/15, arrived 1/21/16. Some folks have gotten theirs a lot faster, some took a bit longer. I assume it had to due partly in that the 38FDDS is not as popular as many other models. I was told 8-12 weeks when ordering. I believe this is the typical time line given on orders. Hopefully you'll see your new rig soon.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #36

Just got word...

My trailer is off line and released to be shipped! 13 weeks from order to build. I was told that customer ordered trailers ship first so hopefully I'll have the new trailer by the second week in August.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #37

Quote:
My trailer is off line and released to be shipped! 13 weeks from order to build. I was told that customer ordered trailers ship first so hopefully I'll have the new trailer by the second week in August.
That's wonderful news. Congratulations.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #38

That's good to hear. Hopefully mine is right behind yours. How did you find out yours was off the line? Dealer or someone from Jayco?
nisbitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Congrats! The DW is driving me nuts almost daily in regards to "how much longer", and I don't know how she is going to react if I tell her it might take this long!!! But even with that, if our trailer takes 12 weeks or more to get here, that introduces a whole different issue that we never anticipated being a problem.

We ordered ours (330RSTS) on June 17th and at that time, we were told 6-8 weeks. Then a few weeks later during a conversation with the Jayco rep about a few details on the new redesign, he looked up our order and broke the bad news to me that it would most likely be 8-10 weeks, and a timeframe that our salesman is still sticking to.

If our trailer ends up being 12 weeks or more before we take possession, we are going to be uncomfortably close to our scheduled departure for Florida in mid October, which also leaves little to no time for a thorough shakedown and get any major issues repaired.

But the worst part is if our trailer ends up having any major issues that delays our departure in October, we stand to lose over 1100.00. We had to cancel this same trip last year with our current trailer, because it had major issues that were not going to be repaired in time, and STILL have not been resolved. The resort issued us a credit, minus their 150.00 processing fee, that has to be used within 12 months. So if we end up not being able to make the trip this year, we lose over 1100.00!!!

I can feel the gray hairs growing as I type this!!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #40

I called the factory. I'm already tired of the run-around from the dealer.