Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Unhappy Factory not responsive

Recently purchased new Jayco sport 10 pop up. Should have refused to accept trailer on initial set up but did not pay close enough attention to "minor" problems.
Noted while driving trailer home and reported next day the front wheel dolly when retracted all the way up sticks down too low (with wheel removed) below hitch/frame and strikes anything in road that is more than a few inches high inc speed bumps and moderate driveway curbs. It sticks down about 6" below hitch/frame and about 6" above level road. It should retract to be flush or close to flush with frame bottom. The factory unit is obviously designed for a trailer with higher wheel clearance to road and deeper frame.
The front and rear flashing that closes the gap between an opened bed and trailer box is mounted in the wrong location, its on the trailer box ends instead of end of the inside ends of the beds. When beds are pulled in and out the flashing drags across the plywood underside of bed catching and tearing on the bed support brackets and scratching off significant amounts of sawdust from underside of beds each time bed is open and closed.
Both problems reported to Jayco through dealer trailer purchased at. Jayco's response is there is no problem, the "tow vehicle is too low" and they are unaware of any bed problem. The truck is a 4x4 pick up and we had to install a drop on the hitch to make trailer ride level, vehicle it is not "too low". The factory did respond when dealer reported dolly problem by sending a new but identical dolly unit (same problem). They gave no answer for the bed flashing or acknowledgement there was a problem. After more than 6 openings it still catches and piles up significant sawdust. The dealer told us Jayco would likely not respond to us effectively. Dealer did installed a used after marked, jury rigged dolly crank that retracts all the way up and functions.
Have now been emailing with Jayco for more than a month, after spending several weeks working through dealer who sent pictures to factory , no response to our complaints, just messages saying they will get back to us, apologizing for not responding to our email, blaming problems with their internal system problems, asking for our complaint info again, promising to call repeatedly-we have never received a call or even acknowledgement they have received our problems in the right section of the company. My last email to them I said I was going to start blogging on trailer sites about their non responsiveness. They responded they would get right back to us. That was a week ago-no call. We are not new to tent trailers, owned a Starcraft for many years.
eliebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for you troubles. I wasn't aware that the swivel caster on the tongue jack are permanently attached these days. On my old popup the wheel was held in place bayonet style. I'd just crank it up until the wheel was about 2" off the ground then remove the wheel from the jack and stow it in the compartment or in the bed of the truck.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #3

May not have been clear. The dolly wheel (swivel castor) does remove. After the wheel is removed, the post still sticks down about 6" below the hitch/frame bottom too close (about 6") to the level road. With the wheel on the post, it cannot even be removed unless the hitch is lifted above level height to be able to remove the wheel off the post.
eliebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #4

On my old tent trailer, I had a pin that I could pull and the post would swing up parallel to the frame.
ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tent trailer design