Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddad45 View Post
Ok Guys, I just installed the inside dual frig cooling fans I got of Ebay. Tell me am I expecting to much, when I put my hand in front of the cooling fans I can't feel alot of air flow. Tell me am I expecting to much out of these little frig fans? Oh by the way the install was very easy it might have taken maybe 10 min to get power to them.
It blows onto the fins, so it is hard to feel. I have talked to the guy that makes them and they have found that is the best configuration. At least in my case it made a huge difference. You still have to space out your food enough to allow air circulation, but it should be much cooler overall.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #22

Thanks Terry, We're going on vacation next week .We're going to the beach so that should give them a good test.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Thanks Terry, We're going on vacation next week .We're going to the beach so that should give them a good test.
How did you run the wire to 12 volt?
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #24

Hey Ernie, It was simple.
You just get a piece of 20 gauge wire--
Take your top rack out of frig-
I also removed my drip pan from inside of frig to get easier access to the drip hose-
then you just push the wire down your drip hose--
After you have about 2 feet of wire on the outside connect your wire to the dual cooling fans on the inside of frig--
go to outside frig compartment and on our Rv's(330 rlts) you will see a wire clearly marked 12v--
connect the fan lead to the black wire 12v lead--
go back to inside of frig and there a alligator clip on back of dual fan ,which is your neutral wire clip and clip the clip on cooling fins on inside frig,
your fans cut on, when you want to cut them off just unclip the fans from the cooling fins and fans cut off.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #25

Thanks. I will install mine this weekend.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #26

Quote:
I just wanted to follow up on this thread I started and after 4 days in Florida humidity and heat, my frig and freezer are working like a champ. I have been able to cut my temp down from 5 to 3 and still froze freezer pops in about 3 hrs. Ice cream in the freezer stays hard I must say the frig fans were a good modification that I would recommend.:hihi::hihi::hihi:
Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #27

While I'm very new to the Starcraft, I have used an inside and outside fan on my other trailer (Casita). The inside fan helps by just circulating the cold air. it's a small compartment and stagnant air isn't helping with keeping things cold. it also helps prevent things on the bottom freezing.

The outside fan helps a lot as well. I changed from "oh dear, food is spoiling (50+)" to "no problems (40+)" when camping in 100 degree plus weather here in NM.

I would think trailers with the fridge on the slide would have the same problems that Casita has. Namely, instead of venting the hot air out of the top of the trailer, it goes out the side. If you look at Domestic's installation guides, that is the "least preferred" method.

My plan is to add fans to the outside of the fridge. I'll probably do like I did on the Casita, and use a couple of low amp draw computer fans. I'm thinking about putting them up under the roof vent - possibly strapped right to the fins. I doubt I'll do a thermistor - instead just put a switch somewhere. Time will tell

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #28

I picked up one of the rv frig fans on ebay, wiring the fan should be pretty easy, I'm not 100% sure on attaching to the fins, anyone have any pictures they could share?

Justin
jbwjbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwjbw View Post
I picked up one of the rv frig fans on ebay, wiring the fan should be pretty easy, I'm not 100% sure on attaching to the fins, anyone have any pictures they could share?

Justin
Your frig has cooling fins inside your frig and the cooling fan has a clip on the back. After you hook 12v power to the fan, when you attach the clip on the fins the fan will come on. The clip is the neutral connection.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #30

Not a very clear pic, but you can attach it anywhere on the fins. The fins are the ground that complete the circuit. I have experimented with putting it over the sensor on the right, or moving it over to the left by the milk shelf. There was not that much difference in cooling, but I think I like it better over the milk. There seems to be more room for airflow on the left side. That top shelf on ours tends to get a lot of lunch meat and it restricts the airflow a little right below the fan.

One thing I can tell you - just having it in there anywhere makes a huge difference.

Attached Thumbnails
fan.jpg  

Old 08-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #31

One other thing - I did not install a switch on mine. I simply remove it from the fins when I am done to turn it off - simple. I lay it down with the clip going through the rack and it keeps it from moving around.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #32

So it really just hangs there by the clip?

Justin
Old 08-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwjbw View Post
So it really just hangs there by the clip?

Justin
Yea, I have the same fan as Terry. Works Great.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #34

Quote:
Yea, I have the same fan as Terry. Works Great.
Ok, thanks.

I have to do a little work to get mine powered as the lead on the fan is not long enough to reach any power when fished though the drip hole.

- Justin
Old 08-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #35

Yep - that clip holds it just fine. I ran my power line down the drip tube then down under the fridge to my load center. It has a dedicated fuse. I have also seen people tap into the +12 that goes to the fridge and I don't see any issue with that either.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #36

I have a 33rlds and noticed the pantry next to the refer got real hot( a gap in the wood did not help either) I took some expandable foam and sealed it up.
This is a poor design by jayco, it melted butter and made things too warm.
Im gonna look at installing a fan to circulate the air
dpa4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #37

I saw this thread and decided to try a fridge fan, but I'm cheap. I used an old CPU fan and mounted it to the fins with a couple of alligator clips. I'm impressed with the results, camped for a week at Yellowstone and had to turn the temp down on the fridge! One of the best mods you can make!
big78ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #38

I wanted to buy one of these fans but the guy on eBay will not ship to Canada, he won't even take questions. So all this fan is is a HDD fan for 3.5" hard drives. I bought 3 of them from China for less that 5 bucks shipped. I was wondering if anyone could take a pic of the wiring for me. I under stand that the + runs below but is the - just going to an alligator clip that is attached to the fan?

An I'm sure it's already been mentioned in this thread but I don't remember reading it, what do you tap into for the +?
DerekMellott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMellott View Post
I wanted to buy one of these fans but the guy on eBay will not ship to Canada, he won't even take questions. So all this fan is is a HDD fan for 3.5" hard drives. I bought 3 of them from China for less that 5 bucks shipped. I was wondering if anyone could take a pic of the wiring for me. I under stand that the + runs below but is the - just going to an alligator clip that is attached to the fan?

An I'm sure it's already been mentioned in this thread but I don't remember reading it, what do you tap into for the +?
I have some pictures I'll post on a few days. I taped into 12v in the back of the frig, assessable from the out side of the camper.

Justin
Old 08-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #40
Site Team

Don't get confused

When reading this thread it jumps back and forth between fans in the fridge and fans in the outside compartment.

Don't get confused when reading it. Many say either one will help with the cooling.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote