Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #1

Feather Sport 165 question

Hello,

I am new here and I am currently looking high and low for a Jayco Feather Sport 165. I have found a place in Pennsylvania that currently has three. Two of which seem to have some water damage near the bathroom. One shows the bathroom tiles buckling the other seems to have water stain on the mattress.

My question is, do these units have an issue with any particular leaking ie the roof or the hot water tank, etc?

Also, if you own a Sport 165, how do you like it?

Thanks,
Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Although I can't help with your question, you've come to the right place to find an answer.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #3

Welcome! I've had our 165 for about 5yrs now and have had no water damage in that area just a little on the celing due to the AC gasket failed (poor main by prev owner). On the bathroom tile or walls... could be due to the walls were siliconed or sealed up all the way around particullarly at the bottom which can trap moisture and keep it from draining back into the tub. Found dealers and sellers tend to do this without knowing what this can cause down the road. the matress water stains could be due to a window left open or not closed fully when washing or in transit or maybe just spillage from a drink etc? Something to consider on the 165 (if you havent already) is these are pretty low riding TTs and as a result the holding tanks connection is pretty lower than most. The reason i bring this up is a lot of sites sewer connection ive found is typically higher than the 165's so dumping can be a prob. We usually set up on some leveling blocks or find a site with a low connection point. Good luck with your search! Let me add.. no matter how much you like the TT any signs of water damage..move on!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

Thanks, exjay1

That is good to know about the holding tanks. How are they (height wise) to the portable totes?

My sister has a real old SunLine that was a headache to drain because of a similar "height issue".

If the Sport 165 works OK with a portable then I will be OK.

One of the reasons that I like the Sport 165 is because of it's low profile but I never even thought about emptying holding tanks.

I LOVE this site!!!
Old 02-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

You have chosen well on the Sport 165. She is light and compact; and very easy to pull in tight traffic and food stop situations.

We do not use a sway/weight distribution bars and have had no issues in 30,000 miles of pulling. We do have "airbags" to assist truck springs.

The wind profile is not any better than other small trailers. In fact, others may have an improved wind profile; but not a better use of interior space.

We bought new. In 5 years there has been one roof leak -it came from TV antenna and allowed water to leak into light fixture just to right, as you come in the door. I sealed around outside aerial -all is ok. We have also had some loosening of water connections. One was on the line from the water heater; the other was the water line drainage from tub; they are easily hand tightened.

Sealing around bathtub walls, in my judgment, should be complete, as water would drain outside of tub and under floor/tub.

Holding tank height drainage has never been an issue for us.

The big deal with the Sport 165 is the weight you carry in her. Keep it to a minimum. And keep your tires at 65psi. I learned this lesson the hard way!
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #6

Thanks so much muelldawg for the information. The info about the connections loosening may explain the damage I see in the tw campers I mentioned.

Anyway, I have found another Sport 165 that I have first dibs on that is a lot closer to where I live. The crazy weather here in upstate New York may make actually seeing this camper a week or more away, but it is "mine" until I say "I don't want it".

It is also nice to know that there is nothing unusually odd about the height of the holding tank drain.

I already have reservations for camping this summer in the Berkshires and in Bar Harbor, Me. Just thinking about all of this is keeping me warm this winter.

Thanks again,
Caryl
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #7

Good to hear. Never needed one but should be OK dumping into a tote I would think. Good luck!!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #8

Well, let me ask this - Do most cap grounds have a tote you can use?

I have reservations for this summer in a camp ground in Maine. We will be there for 10 days. Far too long to go without dumping. However, I do not want to move the whole camper. A tote will have to be utilized. Do I need to bring my own?

Thanks again
Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
Site Team

I have never been in a CG that had a loaner. They are kinda one thing I would not loan or borrow, if you know what I mean?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #10

Up until now, 99% of my camping was seasonal at one particular campground. They did have one that belonged to the club and was used by most all of the campers. Believe it or not, they had them get stolen a time or two.

Guess my own little "honey wagon" will go on my shopping list.

Thanks,
Caryl

PS - I will add that I will need to get creative as to where to stow it.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Saw a picture where someone had bungy corded the tote underneath the TT, and/or on the ladder at the rear.
Just a thought.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:49 PM   #12

Yes, that is what I was thinking. Maybe a spot under the camper. There is no ladder or that would be my first spot.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #13

Just wasting time and noticed this post from a while back. Did you get the trailer? I have an 08 model and I am the second owner. Had it for about a year now and have made three trips with it. Fourth is next month. Its a great camper. Excellent use of limited space and I really enjoy the full dry bath. A lot of campers this size have wet baths. This particular model sleeps two very comfortably. Three is two of you really like each other. No leaks of any signs of leaks on mine. I was told by dealer they knew the previous owners personally and they kept it in a barn out of the weather. It tows adequately with a Ford Escape V6 but I highly recommend a WDH and sway bar if you use this size TV. I read recently switched to an older Suburban that doesn't need the sway bar and barely knows the thing is behind me. I'm very happy with this trailer so far. I dont really "camp". To me it is more of a portable hotel room as we never spend the day in the campground and rarely cook. But it did enable me to go to a limited amenity lake for some scuba diving and still relax in comfort at the end of the day. A lot better than the old tent I've been dragging around for years. Going to make it through this season with it but the wife is already itching for a bigger one. She's even told me to go buy a newer bigger truck. It tows great and is very maneuverable. Low clearance can be an issue off road or on a poorly maintained access road (the lake) I'm 6'5 and can stand up in it. A big deal on a TT this size. Overall this is a good fit for me right now. Later in life I would like to move up to something around the 30 foot range with slide outs. But this is an excellent entry level model to test the waters and learn the ropes.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #14

Hi tugboat95,

Thanks for the response. Actually, I did not get this camper. You are right in that it is laid out perfectly. But when I finally got to see one in person, I realized it would be a bit small for three adults on a regular basis.

I did end up purchasing a hybrid that was adequate for dry camping with 3 without having to open it up. It is downright luxurious with bunks opened.

No, I did not even purchase a Jayco (although I really tried) but I still come to this board because you guys really ROCK! You all are so helpful and you have many members who are seem to be pretty active. The other boards - not so much.

Thanks again,
Caryl
Old 07-03-2019, 12:53 PM   #15

yes, the tub where it meets the wall should be caulked. Mine was not and water from
the shower crept through and under and out on the floor by the toilet, rotting out the
press board wood. Ugh. Just finished filling in where the bad wood was with DAP and then caulking around the top of the tub and top of the side surround where it meets the wall.
Tubs and Walls should be one unit for sure.
Quaillady is offline   Reply With Quote