Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I prefer to drop my TT off at the RV site that night and then go fill up. No hassles with the trailer and I can get fuel at a much better fuel price than going to Pilot, Luv's, etc. along the interstate.

GasBuddy app has saved me a lot of money, as well.

Getting off the interstate opens up all sorts of other possibilities one would never of discovered otherwise when getting fuel.
We usually need to fill up at least once on our way to our destination. If we go more than 250 miles away we stop when we get to about 1/4 tank. Getting 10 miles per gallon while towing is no fun!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #22

I will utilize all suggestions here as they are very helpful, I got the "my pilot "app now & just received the RV'rs friend & Next Exit books, I showed the wife how to google a sat. image & focus on the tire tracks to decipher which way the pumps are oriented towards the store front & how to look for turn around spots. I also got the "Trucker path" app. You really need a co pilot when towing. You would think with RV sales going though the roof that more gas stations would accommodate to the increase in traffic. It could be a nice niche for this overly competitive business.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #23

We travel from Long Island to Florida every year to Snowbird, and finding a gas station to fill up the truck and trailer which is 57 feet long was a real PIA. Now I use a Garman GPS with the route set from Long Island to Florida and each time I fill up I look 150 miles ahead and pick out the best gas station like a flying J or what ever and put that into the GPS so I don't have to worry. I know when I get to about a half a tank I'm pretty close to the gas station to fill up, bathroom etc. and it's very convenient.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #24

I will be towing a trailer from Indiana to West Coast alone (family plans changed, but the trailer is still to be picked up from Indiana). I just prepared a list of stops/ gas stations on the route. I used google earth to check the layouts of the stations, but I think sometimes I will need to ask somebody for help when backing up.

I will try to avoid flying J, as I think they may have diesel with more that 5% bio add.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I will be towing a trailer from Indiana to West Coast alone (family plans changed, but the trailer is still to be picked up from Indiana). I just prepared a list of stops/ gas stations on the route. I used google earth to check the layouts of the stations, but I think sometimes I will need to ask somebody for help when backing up.

I will try to avoid flying J, as I think they may have diesel with more that 5% bio add.
I just came back from Middlebury Indiana & kept an eye out for those giant gas station signs & looking for the best prices. When I was down to a 1/2 tank I would start looking. I didn't know what I was getting into at some of these places, some I just passed by & jumped back onto the interstate for the next set of signs because they were overcrowded & very tight for the TT to get through.. I did run my tank down to an 1/8 at one point so it was do or die, I got lucky that time, I just got tired of driving the 1200 mile trip in 2 days by myself & was really pushing my limits. Not smart I know but a lesson learned.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
I just got tired of driving the 1200 mile trip in 2 days by myself & was really pushing my limits. Not smart I know but a lesson learned.
I'm a weenie. I drive from Portland to Wenatchee and I call that a perfectly good trip for one day. And it's only 300 miles. I suppose if we start traveling instead of just camping, I'll have to get more comfortable with longer days.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #27

We have a simple plan when we travel. We don't stop anywhere for fuel with the trailer attached...and that's that. When we do stop, it's usually at rest stops where they have dedicated RV / Semi parking.

About 5 years ago, I installed an RDS 37 gallon tank in the bed of the truck. The tank, along with the gravity feed kit to transfer fuel to the main tank, allows me to drive for around 8 hours or so without having to fill up. This is perfect for us, because after 8 hours or so, I'm about ready for the kids to ride on the hood. :-)
Once we pull into our overnight spot, I'll disconnect and go fill up.

This was a minimal investment that has saved me LOTS of angst. Well worth the time and money...at least to me. I highly recommend to anyone towing with a diesel truck.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebKen View Post
We usually need to fill up at least once on our way to our destination. If we go more than 250 miles away we stop when we get to about 1/4 tank. Getting 10 miles per gallon while towing is no fun!
I do enjoy having a 55 gallon tank. Really reduces the stress level of running low on diesel.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by justman View Post
We have a simple plan when we travel. We don't stop anywhere for fuel with the trailer attached...and that's that. When we do stop, it's usually at rest stops where they have dedicated RV / Semi parking.

About 5 years ago, I installed an RDS 37 gallon tank in the bed of the truck. The tank, along with the gravity feed kit to transfer fuel to the main tank, allows me to drive for around 8 hours or so without having to fill up. This is perfect for us, because after 8 hours or so, I'm about ready for the kids to ride on the hood. :-)

Once we pull into our overnight spot, I'll disconnect and go fill up.

This was a minimal investment that has saved me LOTS of angst. Well worth the time and money...at least to me. I highly recommend to anyone towing with a diesel truck.

That's a huge benefit for going with a diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:28 AM   #30

Fueling a tow is for sure a PITA but not all that hard of a thing to overcome. As I said in my previous post, all you need is a plan and not driving yourself into a trap. I start out by making sure I think about refueling when I get below 1/'2 tank and before I hit 1/4 tank. To ease any concern I carry a 5 gal yellow [D] jug which will give me an extra 40 miles if I get in a pinch.

Rule 1,2, and 3: DON'T ENTER ANY STATION WITH PUMP ISLANDS AT 90 DEGREES TO THE STATION.

Rule 4: Give yourself multi options by selecting exits with 3 or more stations advertised. A truckstop at an exit will often increase the probablility that 1 of the regular stations will have D fuel.

Rule 5: Return to the interstate and go on to the next exit if you don't find anything to your liking where you initially pulled off. Remember you have 1/4 or more in your tank just for this reason.

Rule 6: Think about refueling when you enter, refuel, and exit the station. Let others worry about who wants what to eat and where the restrooms are. Don't get in a hurry and think before you put the beast in drive. Walk around your rig and make sure nothing has gotten into your safe zone while you were stopped.

Refueling a 50'+ rig is a serious matter but not something to be afraid to do. If you're afraid, then get a smaller rig. You will have to feed the beast once in a while and on a long trip about every 250 miles or so. Practice the routine and get comfortable with doing it. Act scared and you have already doubled your odds of failure.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I don't know about brilliant, but thanks for the cudos.

One reason we tend to plan ahead of time is so we can use available wifi at either a previous stop or from the campground we stayed at the night before to scope out fuel stops as well as campgrounds for the next night of our journey. Saves on mobile data that way.
If traveling interstates, save yourself a lot of time and just pick exits with multi stations and do a drive by for a quick decision on which one to select. That way you are not so much focused on a specific exit. You can do a quick assessment this way and keep your drive plan a bit more flexible to handle potty stops and dog walks.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I do enjoy having a 55 gallon tank. Really reduces the stress level of running low on diesel.
I tow with a Chrysler Aspen (pretty much a Dodge Durango) so nowhere to put an extra tank . . . .
Old 09-28-2016, 12:31 PM   #33

Our F-150 has a 36 gallon tank, which gets us about 325 miles while towing (sometimes a little better/worse depending upon the route). We carry two 5 gallon fuel cans in the bed of the truck to increase our range another 90-100 miles if need be in an emergency. I'd love to have an auxiliary tank but we're a little close on payload with our current setup so carrying the extra 90lbs of fuel is about all we want (or need) to do.

We generally fill the extra fuel cans right before a trip, and if we don't use them we pour them into the truck tank as soon as we get home so that we're not storing old gas or having to use stabilizer. On the road we usually don't rely upon the extra gas - we behave as if it isn't there. And as some others have said, it's rare that our daily drive will exceed our onboard fuel range. Averaging 55mph, we have to drive about 6 hours to empty the tank, which is about as much as we'll do in a day. This allows us to unhitch at the campground and then top off the TV. We just don't need to add stress to our leisure travel - limiting our drive time/distance per day makes the journey a fun part of the vacation.

All that said, we still plan our routes in advance and identify several rest stops and service areas that would work for us along the way, to include refilling the tank if need be. The nice thing about our rig is that it has a separate bathroom entry, so I just flip on the water pump switch and put five gallons of water in the holding tank before we leave home. That eliminates one more reason for stopping at gas stations. We'll use non-full service rest-stops for everything from quick bathroom breaks in our TT to giving our 2-year old daughter a good lunch or even a nap if she's frazzled. Having a TT with a full pass-through even with the slide-room in makes this possible. I also carry a portable 12v air compressor - again, one less reason to stop at a gas station.
Our White Hawk photo album
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:37 PM   #34

My tank gives me more less 250 miles range when towing. I towed the trailer from Indiana to California. Even driving alone without my family, after 3.5 hours drive I was always so ready for a stop. Driving with small kids means stops every 2 hours or so.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #35

I have a 2015 Toyota Tundra which estimates 8.5-9mpg when towing my Eagle HT 29.5 5th wheel. Just about 35'. I have the Reese Revolution pin box, so I can actually do a U turn if I had to, and I have had to. We just finished up a 2000+ round trip from MA to Nashville. When I got to about 1/4 tank, I would have approx 100 miles I could go before looking for gas, so my DW would get on google maps and look for the gas stations with easy on and off. Most of the stations we found were ample big enough for me to swing in and fill up. I was ranging about 150-160 miles before I had to finally fill up. Big truck stops or stations that offer diesel were our best finds as they are normally larger for big rigs.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #36

I stress about it more than necessary, but it has kept me from ever having a problem. We usually stop every couple hours anyway, I just top off the tank at every semi-convenient opportunity and try to keep it above half full. I'll fill up after only using a quarter of a tank if the gas station looks especially 'welcoming'. Driving during the day seems to make it less stressful to.. same deal as backing into a camping spot at night. I've never gone below 1/4 tank towing. If we're staying in state, I can pretty much get to my destination without needing to refuel at all, but I do anyway. If going out of state, I'm almost always on the interstate and I've never had a problem finding large gas stations. I have a 5 gallon gas can in my truck for emergencies / and or generator use. If I HAD to unhook the TT for some reason and limp my way to a gas station, that adds 100 miles to my emergency range. There aren't many places in America where you can't find a pump within 100 miles.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #37

I didnt think about it when I went diesel with the new TV. But this season ive had no issues when filling up. Plenty of room around the diesel pumps and the truckers seem to keep the line moving.(If there is one)
Old 09-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #38

Just getting to the pumps at the NY Thruway stops is the [fun]. The pump lanes are more than adequate. But getting from the Truck/Trailer/RV parking area to the gasoline pumps or vice-versa requires maneuvering through a single access portal that is often near the building.

The path through the pumps towards the highway is almost straight after that. Although there is one somewhere near the Mass Pike connector that the pumps are nearly perpendicular to the highway.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #39

The Price Is Right...

I'm cheap so we have GasBuddy on both our phones, and I use it religiously. Once we get around half tank, I'll have Momma look for stations. Even most WalMart/Murphy's are pretty easy to get in and out of. If I can save several cents a gallon, I'll make the effort.

I guess driving big truck for 25+ years has some advantages.
kevcarr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #40

In-Bed Fuel Tanks - Transfer Flow, Inc. - Aftermarket Fuel Tank Systems
chlinthi is offline   Reply With Quote