Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #1

Filling water heater from fresh water tank

We are at a state park that does not provide city water with our new Jay Feather 7 19xud. We do have 30 amp service.
I filled the fresh water tank before we left home. Now that we have arrived at the park, I turned on the water pump and opened the faucets an got very little flow. I did light the water heater but I shut it off when my SO of 47 years said both hot and cold faucets were producing hot water. Also in spite of leaving the faucets open for 5 minutes or so, they continued to sputter water the entire time.
Can anyone explain how to know if the water heater is full and what I am doing wrong with the fresh water tank?
lfcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

It will take longer than you think to fill the heater. You can open the pressure release valve to speed things along. If you are getting hot water out of both faucets, check your bypass valves to ensure they are in the correct position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #3

I would start with verifying the bypass vales are set correctly. Sounds like the bypass valve is open, and maybe one or both of the HW tank valves are open too. May also want to ensure the winterizing/antifreeze valve is fully closed, as air can get pulled in there too.

It does take some time to fill the HW tank. when I turn on the pump to fill the tank, I open the pressure relief valve behind the ouside cover. When it starts to spit water, I close the valve. Surprisingly how long it takes to fill the tank, especially when other valves are open.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Site Team

I agree the hot water issue sounds to be bypass valve related. It can take a minute or two wth a faucet open to fill the hot water tank. Also check the fresh water tank level. Some members have reported losing water while traveling through the overflow hoses which can create a siphoning effect thus draning the tank during your trip.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #5

Check to make sure the piping is correct and not crossed, check that the water pump valve is open 100%, then check to see if both the hot and cold aren't on at the outside shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamonZ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. This morning after the grandkids had been settled and fed, I had a look at the water pump. I found that the valve for drawing in the winterizer fluid was open and the source of the air in the faucets and the valve to the FW tank was closed. Reversed the valves and took off the output side of the pump to make sure it was working. I opened the pressure release valve on the water heater and filled the water heater and lit the water heater. Everything is copacetic. �� (including the grandkids)
Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Glad you found it. That`s not the first time that has happened.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

A little trick I like to do to maximize the amount of water uplifted into the fresh tank is fill the hot water heater and purge all the lines of air while I'm at the fill station. Otherwise 6+ gallons of your fresh tank get used just to fill the plumbing system, and once the remaining water in the fresh tank gets used up, that 6+ gallons is unusable through fixtures (needs more water to replace it).

1.) Park at fill station and begin filling tank
2.) Open pressure relief valve on water heater
3.) When fresh tank reads 1/3 or more, turn on pump
4.) Water begins filling water heater, air escapes through pressure relief valve, once water begins pouring out of pressure relief valve the tank is full, close relief valve
5.) Turn on all taps (one by one) until water runs smoothly with no air pockets (outdoor shower purges most of the air and doesn't fill your grey tank up)
6.) Top off your fresh tank until water runs out the overflow tubes and you're done!
Old 08-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #9

Great idea

I am glad I didn't have to spend months thinking about water before I thought of filling the water heater. Thanks
(I am adding it to my list of things I wish the dealer would have explained to us. We just moved up to the Jay Feather 7 from a 20 year old pop up.)

Tags
fresh water, heater, pump, tank