Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

Finally all cable channels at campground!

I figured I would post this for other that maybe experienced similar problems. I am a techie and a/v guy at heart but this one had me stumped for a while. Got the 2011 jayco 29bhs g2 with the tv and satellite pre wired etc. I would go to campground and auto search on tv and get about 30 channels but only the HD channels would come in clearly. The other analog channels were fuzzy with a scrambled picture. I added another tv in the bedroom with the same problem.

After thinking for a while I went right from the A input on the tv face plate to the tv and got about 30 channels in the living room that were all clear and only 6 or 8 in the bedroom even after splitting the signal from the face plate A directly to B.

Long story short the winegard antenna faceplate to the right of the satellite A B switch has a little black button on it. When you push that button and the green light goes off you get both analog and digital cable feeds to the bedroom and the dining room.

Of course being a typical guy I never read any instructions and never knew that winegard faceplate even had a button. Hopefully this will help someone along the way.

Just a note after figuring the power button out I put the dining room cable back into winegard antenna faceplate and the jumper cable from A to B back in place and everything still worked fine. The reason for this is the connections and splitters were signals are joined behind the faceplates. One the antena signal was removed the was no more interference.

Just remember when you want to get HD OTA and are not using cable push the black button so the green light is on and you will get the digital signal from the antenna.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

That got me as well. There is an amplifier somewhere in the unit that boosts the signal from the Winegard antenna. I found this out the hard way. If you are connected to cable/satellite and already have a boosted signal, I guess it overloads and causes the channels to all go fuzzy.
Husky Centerline weight distribution system
Husky Quest brake controller
03Avifamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 AM   #3

With the digital channels you either get it and the picture is good or you don't.
The analogue channels are dialed in with the antenna like they always have. Being a techie you must be familiar with RTFM. The booster makes a huge difference. Also It is worth it to get the wingman for the digital channels . They are very easy to attach and work well for the 25 dollars they cost. I seldom watch tv but enjoyed watching Me TV with all the old reruns of shows i'd watch as a kid. Interestingly my 21 year old daughter likes all the old shows I liked. She complains the adds are all for old people. Kinda funny.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarv29BHS View Post
I figured I would post this for other that maybe experienced similar problems. I am a techie and a/v guy at heart but this one had me stumped for a while. Got the 2011 jayco 29bhs g2 with the tv and satellite pre wired etc. I would go to campground and auto search on tv and get about 30 channels but only the HD channels would come in clearly. The other analog channels were fuzzy with a scrambled picture. I added another tv in the bedroom with the same problem.

After thinking for a while I went right from the A input on the tv face plate to the tv and got about 30 channels in the living room that were all clear and only 6 or 8 in the bedroom even after splitting the signal from the face plate A directly to B.

Long story short the winegard antenna faceplate to the right of the satellite A B switch has a little black button on it. When you push that button and the green light goes off you get both analog and digital cable feeds to the bedroom and the dining room.

Of course being a typical guy I never read any instructions and never knew that winegard faceplate even had a button. Hopefully this will help someone along the way.

Just a note after figuring the power button out I put the dining room cable back into winegard antenna faceplate and the jumper cable from A to B back in place and everything still worked fine. The reason for this is the connections and splitters were signals are joined behind the faceplates. One the antena signal was removed the was no more interference.

Just remember when you want to get HD OTA and are not using cable push the black button so the green light is on and you will get the digital signal from the antenna.

I had this problem first time out. I just thought it was bad cable signal at the RV park.

Are you saying I need to keep jumper between A and B, and plug TV into Winegard plate, then leave the button off, and light off on that plate?

Thanks,
joe_n_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #5

Yup, dining room TV cable goes to the Winegard plate. Hit the button on the Winegard plate until the green light goes off. The jumper should always be from A to B unless you are hooking up your satellite. In which case A would go directly into the back ofthe satellite box. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #6

Do I need to put the TV antenna up when using TV & connected to cable?
joe_n_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #7

Nope.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

No. If you were at a site with no cable you would put up antenna and push button so the green light comes on. After the you would would have to search for channels that are available over the air or OTA