Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #41

Can't comment on where to keep a gun (never owned one and don't know anyone who does) but I can say if you do carry one in your trailer leave it at home if you're coming north of the border. If the border guards find a concealed weapon in your trailer you're going to have a long tiring day trying to explain to them why you have a gun.

Guns smuggled from the states is a very real problem here and they take it very serious.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulx213 View Post
Can't comment on where to keep a gun (never owned one and don't know anyone who does) but I can say if you do carry one in your trailer leave it at home if you're coming north of the border. If the border guards find a concealed weapon in your trailer you're going to have a long tiring day trying to explain to them why you have a gun.

Guns smuggled from the states is a very real problem here and they take it very serious.
I have traveled across the border into Canada with firearms and had no issues at all. At the border I had to declare them and pay a small regulatory fee. I only brought a deer rifle and a couple of shotguns, but I looked into bringing handguns too. IIRC although handguns are restricted in Canada as a legal owner in America I could bring them on a temporary basis, but the difference between handguns and longs guns was you had to obtain the possesion permit prior to reaching the border, not on demand at the border as was the case with long guns. I looked into it for a driving trip to Alaska that was being planned...no real way to drive to Alaska with out entering Canada first and guns were certainly coming with us.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 06-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
...I looked into it for a driving trip to Alaska that was being planned...no real way to drive to Alaska with out entering Canada first and guns were certainly coming with us.
Interesting. I wonder if they would feel the same about traveling from Buffalo, NY to Detroit, MI or would they tell you to go around through Ohio with your handgun?

vic
Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #44

I only really checked on handguns for the trip to Alaska and is how I know its possible. A quick google search and it seems there are ways as "non-candian" to legally import/posses a handgun on a short term basis as well. Here is a site I found if you are really interested. http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #45

I hope this isn't getting off track, we have a front bedroom in our trailer and ther than the night stand area I don't know where else a handgun could be stored in our trailer where it would be accessible but out of sight. I think I would make a small box with a drawer on the side and put it in there. We camp in Washington a lot and I wonder how many people are packing guns in their trailers?

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #46

I am currently employed as a police officer and have been for 25 years. In the past I have very rarely carried a gun with me but I've realized that it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it. That said, I'm aware that several of my coworkers have traveled into Canada and revealed to the agents at the border they are employed as peace officers. This admission has generated a full search of their vehicles in each case, although none was transporting a weapon at the time. I would advise anyone traveling across any border other than a state border not to have a weapon.

In California (and I imagine throughout the US) your camper is your home and may not be searched without a search warrant signed by a magistrate and with probable cause. Your TV or car is different and may be searched if, for instance, an officer sees a magazine laying on the seat, or any other number of reasons. If you do not have a permit, keep the weapon in your "home" and not in the TV. If you do not have a permit, you may transport a firearm in a vehicle unloaded, either in plain sight or locked in a compartment (such as the trunk or an under-seat safe). The ammunition loaded in magazines or loose, must be in a seperate area from the firearm. I imagine these laws may vary from state to state.

My children are in their late teens and are familiar with firearms. As such, I no longer keep my firearm locked, just well-concealed. I agree with most here, I certainly don't want to be unlocking a container in the dark or trying to load at the moment I need the weapon.

For those of you that are permitted to carry a concealed weapon, Gum Creek makes an outstanding steering column mount for a handgun holster. The weapon is out of sight but instantly accessible. I carry several types (9mm and 40cal) but my favorite is a small 22lr auto made by Bersa. Too many people underestimate the effectiveness of a .22 for self-defense.

2006 GMC Sierra 3500, CCLB
2005 JayFlight 25RKS
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #47

The ? of firearms and travel has been discussed to the finest degree on many gun forums. As for best storage in an RV, I think the best answer is not so much where, but rather anywhere other than the obvious where it is still accessable when needed and out of reach to those who shouldn't have access. The old "hollowed out" bible or cookbook comes to mind if you don't have kids with you. I personally don't buy into the safe since they are difficult to hide and it doesn't take an international thief to rip one loose in your camper. Why bust into a safe when you can just take the safe. I've seen them take an entire ATM so don't think your bedside box is beyond the reach of a thief.

Other things to be aware of: There is no such thing as a "national" carry permit. Be aware of where your travels will take you before leaving home with a handgun. A quick visit to the "Net" will answer a lot of ??'s. If you don't have a CW permit and your state issues them, take the time and get one. Helps to be legal and the class gives you a lot of info about the law. Remembered they call it "concealed". Open carry is legal in many places, but it will attract a lot of attention that you probably won't want to deal with. Keep it hidden. You'd might to be shocked about the number of armed shoppers you pass in the local Walmart or IGA. Possession of a firearm is a serious decision and should be handled in a serious manner. My best advice for the RV'er is don't advertise. Assume your neighbors are armed, but this is not a time for "I'll show you mine if you show me yours". Finally know the laws. As an example it is now legal to "carry" [with a permit] in a National Park or NFS area but NOT in an area managed by the Corp of Engineers. Also legal possession does not mean "branishing" a weapon that is prohibited in most areas.

I have a permit and carry a handgun and a short barrel 12g when we RV. I don't doubt that my firearms could be found with a motivated search. I don't give anyone a reason to single out my unit and hide in plane sight so to speak. Always think safety. If there is even the slightest chance of a visit by a child, the ammo is removed and hidden in a separate location where it is still accessable if needed.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #48

Canadian travel with a firearm. Long gun generally ok with proper disclosure but forget the handgun. Yes it may be "possible" but not worth the effort. If headed to Ak take a 12g since they are the most effective against the big bears anyway. Even with a long gun, there are storage requirements and they generally have to be unloaded except in remote areas where you can reasonably expect to need it for defense against wildlife. I don't want to start an argument with our Canadian friends on the forum, but Canada is not firearms friendly for the US visitor. I would go as far as to say it would be cheaper to make arrangements to "ship" your handgun to a FFL dealer in AK for pickup when you get there than to try to jump thru the hoops required to transport that same firearm over the border in your RV. The cost in $$, redtape, and time is designed to be prohibitive. Find a dealer in Anchorage and ship it for a small fee. PS don't send that family heirloom or collector gun that you don't want to lose. A reliable but replaceable one is a better choice.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #49

Hi all, I found this site called "covert furniture" they might have what you are looking for, they have an awesome mag rack for an rv. anyway check them out and see what you think.

Hope this is helpful

Brad
Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Canadian travel with a firearm. Long gun generally ok with proper disclosure but forget the handgun. Yes it may be "possible" but not worth the effort. If headed to Ak take a 12g since they are the most effective against the big bears anyway. Even with a long gun, there are storage requirements and they generally have to be unloaded except in remote areas where you can reasonably expect to need it for defense against wildlife. I don't want to start an argument with our Canadian friends on the forum, but Canada is not firearms friendly for the US visitor. I would go as far as to say it would be cheaper to make arrangements to "ship" your handgun to a FFL dealer in AK for pickup when you get there than to try to jump thru the hoops required to transport that same firearm over the border in your RV. The cost in $$, redtape, and time is designed to be prohibitive. Find a dealer in Anchorage and ship it for a small fee. PS don't send that family heirloom or collector gun that you don't want to lose. A reliable but replaceable one is a better choice.
Now this is good advise for our side of the border. We are not handgun friendly up here.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Closed Thread