Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Target View Post
lol, first time I shot a .410 round from the Judge it had a pretty good recoil! Surprised me! I use the snake shot in it tho mostly. Except in the winter I put the regular rounds in it.
Speaking of .410 shotguns, my first gun was a .410 single shot. I was about 10 or 12 when dad bought it for me, still have it today.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Speaking of .410 shotguns, my first gun was a .410 single shot. I was about 10 or 12 when dad bought it for me, still have it today.

That is awesome.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 05-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #23

Definitely not opposed to owning firearms; it's a must for life on the farm. I worry why I would need one while camping, especially in a large CG setting, or are y'all referring to more remote camping?
Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #24

I camp a lot by myself, so I usually carry my 44 mag. inside my trailer. When I have my
Grandkids I leave it at home. I don't want any possibility of an accident. I might change to either my 357 loaded with 38 specials or a 22 for the safety of other campers.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
Definitely not opposed to owning firearms; it's a must for life on the farm. I worry why I would need one while camping, especially in a large CG setting, or are y'all referring to more remote camping?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I carry a firearm just about anywhere I go, kind of like my wallet, my watch, cell phone or pocket knife. I've had pretty extensive training on them since I was a kid, through 14 years of servicein the Army, and after I left the military. I view it like home or auto insurance - hope I never need to use one, but if you're in the situation where you do, you'll really wish you had it. Plus carrying around a policeman all the time is so tiring

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #26

Sometimes when stay over on a Sunday night and there were times we were the only ones left after a weekend in a hybrid 17c. Kinda spooky! That's why I asked..
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #27

Seriously....you ask this question on a public forum and actually got answers.
So much for keeping secret hiding places secret...Seriously.........
Old 05-23-2012, 05:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
You can own a handgun in Canada, but unless you have a permit you can't carry or travel with it and it is almost impossible to get one. During my police days I was the Chief Range Officer for my police service for a short period of time, and this was when we carried S&W .38 specials. In the late 70's and early 80's we used Glazer ammo which was small pellets suspended in a teflon liquid which would dissipate and not allow ricochets in built up areas. It was also hard to treat because the shot was so small. The owner of the company which I believe was in Texas passed away and his son took over and started cutting corners and he lost our business.

On my 5th wheel I have an opening under my master bed when my slide is in the closed position and would make a great storage area.

I have two revolvers, with one being my old service revolver but because of our laws they languish in my safe in my bedroom at home.
I don't know how the law feels about it but technically your RV is your home away from home.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I carry a firearm just about anywhere I go, kind of like my wallet, my watch, cell phone or pocket knife. I've had pretty extensive training on them since I was a kid, through 14 years of servicein the Army, and after I left the military. I view it like home or auto insurance - hope I never need to use one, but if you're in the situation where you do, you'll really wish you had it. Plus carrying around a policeman all the time is so tiring

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Yup, those cops can be heavy carrying around. lol
I keep a firearm with me camping. Of course I am not saying WHERE it is at any given time.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
I don't know how the law feels about it but technically your RV is your home away from home.
NOT in Canada... your permit specifies the address it must be kept at.. moving it off the property requires a transport permit... directly to and back again from a lic gun range... no stopping for coffee, gas or anything else along the route. Even with my province wide carry permit I could not stop along the route...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
I take a hand gun or two with me while camping. Although in a campground setting its most likely I will never need them or use them. However when traveling cross country on the interstate I feel a lot better if I am able to protect me and my family.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #32

This has been an interesting read being a Canadian. It is one of the few things I can think of where our culture is different. Unless you grow up in a family whose parents were police officers you just aren't exposed to handguns. Things are changing thou. The city next to mine had the largest number of shootings thanks to our drug trade. I think under special circumstances a Canadian can carry a concealed gun. I think you have to prove your life is threatened to a court first.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Old 05-24-2012, 06:08 AM   #33

I have been thinking about creating a spot for my Ruger .45. Really need to find the right place that's hidden and inaccessible to the kids. It's such a fine line trying to find a spot you can get to easily, yet is concealed and secret. The times that I have camped with it though, I do feel better knowing it's there. My family is the most important thing in the world to me. Being able to protect them is of the utmost priority.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
Old 05-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #34

I carry a Glock handgun with me just about 24/7. I'm a retired police officer. We travel all over the eastern USA. My parents also travel in their RV. Both of us have had instances while traveling where a weapon was needed. My father broke down on the side of the road and a couple of "nice" locals stopped to help.

In my travels along many interstates, you end up in some not so nice areas or near some not so nice areas.

We've also had an instance where a rabid skunk was attacking dogs in a camping area and then exploring everyone's open trailers and camping areas. He had to be dispatched.

We have to qualify every year to obtain our nationwide carry permit. I still shoot practice at least once a month and still shoot as good as I did while on patrol.

As for storage, we don't have kids in our camper so it's just out of sight. For quick, secure storage, try one of the pistol safes that uses the hand shaped unlocking mechanism of buttons. Very, very quick to use.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #35

when i think of a guy named CrazyTed, that carries a glock 24/7 and dispatches varmints..... i can't help but think of this guy....

i met the Motor City Madman once... he does NOT disappoint!
Attached Thumbnails
Ted-Nugent-VII.jpg  

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #36

I was just getting ready to ask the same question.
Great info , thanks
For me...
38 cal w/ 2 inch ~ 1st 2 are Snake Shot /then low grain Hollow point., Back up ... 12 Ga Shotgun and Bear pepper spray.
(I like to have the right tool for the job). 38 in TV during travel, Very close at night. 12 Ga lives under the bed. Pepper spray always at hand. Great stuff.

good luck, Have Fun, Be SAFE
'07 186 Feather Sport
SLC, Ut
Old 06-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #37

Gun Vault makes some nifty keypad operates single or multi gun boxes. We have kids so my guns are always in a locked box of one type or another. Gun Vault brand has a new one the is the size of a large dictionary with a gas piston in it that opens the door. It would work in many different orientations. All are easily opened, even blind or in low light. I agree, if your intent is locking it from theives, there are options, but they will still get stolen.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #38

I've always owned a weapon for home defense. I decided to get a carry permit while it's still my legal right. Most states around me (except for the Peoples Republic of MD) have reciprocal laws.

When camping....it's now "FOUR"Butchers.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	armed.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	8389
Old 06-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #39

Firearms in campers?

A small pistol safe with electronic keypad was the first thing I installed in the new camper. Went right next to the bed.

Practice deploying whatever you decide be it firearms, knives, fists, etc. You may have to do it half-asleep in the middle of the night in the dark.

Be safe and aware out there.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #40

My first firearm was a 410 shotgun (single shot) and I still have it. My dad won it on a punch board for $5. He intended to give it to my brother, but he did not want it so I received it when I was 6 years old.

I have a permit and do carry. I have family and formal training, as I have to qualify for work. Most of my camping is done on private property and the police are not near by. The kids are now adults (and also have carry permits) so I don't have to worry about that problem. My firearms go where I go. I don't leave them in the vehicle or the camper. If I am going somewhere that I can't take them I leave them in a safe place.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
Closed Thread