Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #21

Not all campsites have fire pits and we have no desire to haul a portable or propane fire pit.
  • Going for a local campground and there is a fire pit? Haul it.
  • Going for an extended trip, buy it.
  • If staying where there are evening ranger events, enjoy THEIR campfire.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 AM   #22

Every time I tote some firewood with me it seems like I bring more back home with me after my camping neighbors give me their unused wood that they don't want to be bothered with on their trip home. So far I haven't gotten busted by the campground constables for bringing my own firewood yet. I'm sure one day I probably will and I'll have to buy it back from them after they put it one of those silly little bundles of theirs! LoL

K. Carter
2008 Toyota Tacoma
2015 Jayco 18 S RB
Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcarter54 View Post
(snip) So far I haven't gotten busted by the campground constables for bringing my own firewood yet. I'm sure one day I probably will and I'll have to buy it back from them after they put it one of those silly little bundles of theirs! LoL
There seems to be some confusion (at least on my end) as to who enforces the transportation of firewood in those areas with restrictions. I doubt CG hosts look for it but some states like Connecticut have addressed this with the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection http://www.cga.ct.gov/2015/TOB/S/201...867-R00-SB.htm
Boulder and parts north are in quarantine from the emerald ash borer...https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/agp...rald-ash-borer

Not sure that Colorado contributes a large amount (if any) to the ash tree harvesting supply but transporting firewood has the state's attention.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #24

Where I live, Wisconsin, there is a very strict restriction on distance firewood can be brought. Minnesota is even more strict. BUT that said each state has firewood available at ranger stations or some other designated place. Also local firewood can be purchased that may be more suitable for cooking over.
I really like bringing my own firewood as many others, did so for many many years and today do so to the local State Park legally. Otherwise I purchase, besides on a week or longer trip just could not carry enough.
Kinda funny as even though restricted in carrying wood distances I think the threat of insect damage is only slightly reduced or delayed. In my time saw the Elms disappear, now the Ash trees are going fast, next could be ???... Arrgh!!

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 Ram 1500 5.7L w/tow, 3.92, Equalizer 1000, Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Hunting shack: 26’ Taurus (1980s something)
Priors:
Jayco Eagle 10 ST RD
Keystone Sprinter M-380BWS
Rockwood Freedom 1640TD
Jayco SLX 154BH
Been camping since 1974, tents to pickup camper to popups to TTs...
Old 07-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
I can see why a campground would want you to buy wood at the campground
A cord of wood can cost anywhere from $100 to $200 for a cord But you pay $5.00 or more for a bundle which is about .75 cu ft. of wood. A cord of wood is equal to 128 cu ft. At $5.00 a bundle that equals $850.00
Having worked at a number of campgrounds, I will tell you wood is not a big money maker. Very few campgrounds will cut and package their own wood, just not practical. Wood is purchased from a vendor, who has to package and deliver a relatively small amount at a time, much less than a cord. Campgrounds will put a small mark up on the wood, but also have to inventory it, store it, sell it and then clean up after it. It is a convenience item only, as are many of the products sold in camp stores.

If fire pits only contained burnt wood it would be fine, but obviously most people feel a fire pit and a trash pit are one in the same. Daily you will find everything from egg shells, cereal, dog food, water melon rinds, chicken bones, various paper trash, diapers...used of course... all that have to be picked up and disposed of properly. So, from a selfish stand point I would rather everyone have a propane fire pit...save us from hours of work daily.

Out west it is the pine beetles that have killed a great portion of most of the forests. They have been spread by infected wood being transported from place to place. Just spend a few dollars and purchase local wood. Most wood sold in the west is from dead beetle infested trees, for which there is not much other value. It helps to remove the trees and pays someone to do that work, thus, saving our tax $ from going to haul and burn the wood.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #26

I always wondered why so many folks think it's appropriate to burn their garbage in the camp fire. Don't they have garbage bags? Do they really need to stink up the whole campground with the smell of their burning trash?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #27

Thanks everyone for the replies. Was not aware the government has rules in place for enjoying campfires with my family. Just for that I will be filing the bed full waiting for them to stop me I wish them luck.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter78 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Was not aware the government has rules in place for enjoying campfires with my family. Just for that I will be filing the bed full waiting for them to stop me I wish them luck.
Agree, and if they ever say anything I would casually ask what they are doing about the millions of pallets and crates trucked around this country. That is not kiln dried, and believed by many authorities to be the initial source of EAB and the primary way it spread.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 07-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter78 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Agree, and if they ever say anything I would casually ask what they are doing about the millions of pallets and crates trucked around this country. That is not kiln dried, and believed by many authorities to be the initial source of EAB and the primary way it spread.
So why even bother to ask questions if you aren't willing to be enlightened as to the reality of the world that you share with others?

Sheesh.

Sheesh
A very flexible interjection used in many situations, but especially when either:

1. Another person explodes of anger, right in your face.

2. When you're really, really bored of something, or just bored in general.

A variation of sheesh is geez
1. Sheesh, stop yelling in my face. Just calm down.

2. Sheesh, this is so boring.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
So why even bother to ask questions if you aren't willing to be enlightened as to the reality of the world that you share with
I didn't ask.

I don't live in an area the prevents moving firewood, as I mentioned previously and as you link supported.

I never agreed to give our government(s) more authority than the constitution provided for them.

I believe the government has way overstepped the bounds on many issues, including this one.

I believe the government knows these pests were introduced in shipping crates and pallets, on which there is still no restriction on moving including through our national forests.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #31
Site Team

Ok guys and gals, calm down.

We are talking about firewood here not the world problems. Every one is informed that there are many different laws and opinions about the use and transport of firewood.

Lets not let this subject get out of hand.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 AM   #32
Site Team

Lets try to stay on topic and polite please. Thank you....

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 07-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #33

I never even had a second thought about transporting fire wood until I started reading this thread. A few weekends ago I bought 2 bundles of "mixed hardwood" from the local grocery store where we were camping (it's mostly oak, but I didn't look close enough to determine species). I had one left over after the trip. The wood came from another town 70 miles away from that store. Next weekend I'm going to a US Forest Service Park about 130 miles away from the original source of the wood. The park's website doesn't mention anything about fire wood.

So if transporting firewood in Texas is restricted in any way, they're not being loud about it. Shortly after finding this thread though, I did notice that Corps of Engineers parks have a notice not to transport firewood, but again, it's not loud.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 AM   #34

I just buy the firewood when I get where I'm going. Sometimes I have some left over and I haul it home and then to the next camping excursion. If I have any left over, it's usually just 3 or 4 pieces...enough for 1 camp fire...inevitably, I always end up buying more. I just figure it helps the local economy where I'm camping at!

Dan
Old 07-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #35

According to this website: Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases Texas doesn't have restrictions within the state on transport of firewood, but "encourages" buying "local".

But Texas is HUGE, so what is "local"?

Anyway, I've seen the damage these things can do, so if preventing that damage means I have to spend a few bucks on some firewood at the CG, I'm really okay with that. Yeah, these things may spread naturally, but we don't need to help them along in their journey.

Worst case; I use my Camco Little Red Campfire. It's great for summers here in TX where you don't want the heat from the fire (it doesn't throw hardly any heat), but you still want the "feel" of a campfire.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #36

I think someone earlier said they remember when Dutch Elm disease killed all the elms. I remember that too. More recently they cut down a street of infected ash trees in my subdivision. Those trees were huge and created a canopy over the street. Very sad to see the bare street now.

It's for those reasons that I have no problem with buying my firewood locally when I get to the CG.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Snip... More recently they cut down a street of infected ash trees in my subdivision. Those trees were huge and created a canopy over the street. Very sad to see the bare street now.

It's for those reasons that I have no problem with buying my firewood locally when I get to the CG.
They did this to my grandmother's street years ago. It was VERY sad to see them go, they created such a nice feel and cast such nice shade. It'll take decades to get trees there that were anywhere close to what those trees were.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #38

Quote:
I didn't ask.

Correct. Sorry.

I don't love the gov'mint all the time either. In this case though I do believe that trying to stop moving pests to new areas is worthwhile.

Anyone can do what they wish. It is true that enforcement is unlikely to catch up with an individual here and there.

I can tell you that you don't want to cross to Canada with firewood. They do check there and will turn you back to the USA. vic
Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #39

Quote:
I didn't ask.

I don't live in an area the prevents moving firewood, as I mentioned previously and as you link supported.

I never agreed to give our government(s) more authority than the constitution provided for them.

I believe the government has way overstepped the bounds on many issues, including this one.

I believe the government knows these pests were introduced in shipping crates and pallets, on which there is still no restriction on moving including through our national forests.
Are you kidding me, Bdog and ClubH on the same page and in agreement? Who would have thought. In this case I agree with you on all counts. We don't elect our government officials to save us from our campfires and leave the real local, state, and federal challenges to be kicked down the road for decades.

I also pack firewood unless traveling a long distance. I pretty much always have enough for that first night and then will scrounge for a supply. I have used the dumpster diving trick for several years and have always received the OK from the contractor as long as I stay out of their way. I have also been known to find someone advertising firewood [for home use] on the bulletin board at a local gas station or convinence store and then have them deliver a rick usually for around $50. In most State Parks the firewood consession is handled by the host but in any regard it for sure is free $$ regardless where the packets come from. They always get a cut above and over the vendor costs. Like others have said, $6-8 for a small bundle of bark and green slab wood is a slap in the face to campers. In addition that is why you can always fine partially burned junk that previous campers have purchased at the C store or the host site. It doesn't burn unless you get a hot fire with your own supply.

Love the CG/State rules that say it is illegal to transport firewood, but then go on to say if you do [Ha Ha] then burn it up before you leave. Why do they think we brought it????

Just pile it in your truck bed, keep it out of sight, and don't unload it at your site until after the sun sets.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #40

It's always the few that screw it up for the rest. FYI out west most of the wood is pine, killed by the pine beetle. It has to stand for a year, before it can be cut and used for firewood. I have not seen green slab wood or a pile of bark. And I can assure you no one is getting rich by selling you a $6 bundle of wood. It is done as a convenience to the camper, not the host or CG store.

I don't like over reaching laws, but, sometimes they just make sense.

Closed Thread