Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
If that is true why do you own a Jayco? Why didn't you pay more money for a brand that has all the features you think are necessary?
Right on X2X2X2! I have a friend who is on his 2nd Class A DP Bus. Exactly what is it that you can't get if you're willing to shell out $350 plus. Even at that rate he has had the bus back to the dealer 3 times in 2 years. The first one broke down on the interstate and that was all it took to trade it for a brand new 44 footer with more tvs than a Best Buys and a heated storage bay.

O well I'm satisfied that I got more than my money's worth with my White Hawk
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #22

Quote:
If that is true why do you own a Jayco? Why didn't you pay more money for a brand that has all the features you think are necessary?
I would be happy to if there was one.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
http://www.horizonsrv.com/ heated tanks
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
70 mph in freezing weather on your maiden voyage??? You got bigger balls than me...
70mph did not happen until I was 300-400 miles in and getting a feel of the pull, and during daylight hours with a good view of the road ahead. I've pulled plenty of heavier trailers, just not with this truck, a diesel or a trailer with this much surface area. Any suspicion of less than great road conditions and I backed off to 50mph or less, and any confirmation of ice or snow brought me lower. It was far from reckless. In all reality, I had more truck, and less trailer weight than I usually do. The truck ran about 1600rpm in O/D and about 2400 in drive at 60mph. It was just a bad place for the motor. At 70mph my rpm in O/D was about 1900-2000 and the motor was much happier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
finally03gt is the under belly on your unit enclosed? If not get some material similar to this Underbelly Material - RV Parts & Accessories - All-Rite.com any RV shop will have it. Seal seems with aluminum tape, a tip from local RV shop.

.....I'll get a picture tomorrow of the heated water hose I made, not pretty but works great.

Nope, underbelly widddeee open. That's my basic game plan if we go cold again. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Suspecting you didn't do a lot of tent camping when it was below freezing .....Throw in heat, Sat tv,.........If you are an occasional user as it sounds like you are,
Haha.. got me there. I actually hate cold with a passion. We don't do much TV, but the heat was pretty nice. We take about 2 trips a year.

Quote:
Well said prep for cold. Heat taped aluminum & from wrapped water hose. Loose heat tape, foam noodles w/ bungee loops, and a roll of duct tape. Hook hose add insulation & heat to CG pipe/bib as needed with foam, bungees & tape. Forgot to add the 3 way plug for two heat tapes and a short extension cord to reach the 20amp in the pedestal.
I saw a "proper" store bought heated hose for $100. I figured I could cheap out for less than that. Thanks for the pics. When we left, I honestly thought we had purchased a trailer with the "artic package", but I was horribly wrong. Oh Well, first RV purchase, so it's a learning curve
2011 Shelby GT500 (only thing it pulls is G's)
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited (DD's)
1995 F-150 short wheel base (Sold)
finally03gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #25

Sorry for the delayed reply guys. I appreciate all the input. I was not receiving my emails letting me know there were replies, and I got a tad busy. But again, thanks for all the info.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #26

Man you are tough! Below freezing weather, I would leave the water systems dry (antifreeze only) and use a water jug.
skidsjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidsjayco View Post
Man you are tough! Below freezing weather, I would leave the water systems dry (antifreeze only) and use a water jug.
I would say ignorant is a more appropriate adjective. The guys at the front desk of the RV park suggested using the water tank. They probably assumed, like I did, that they belly had some protection.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #28

Quote:
No travel trailers.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #29

Quote:
There are plenty. Airstream and Oliver both come to mind. If money is no object I'd sure take a look at them. All things are a compromise. You obviously made a compromise between price and quality when you purchased a Jayco.

You made it sound like there was something especially shoddy about Jayco quality. Heck, you could simply go with a different Jayco product line, like maybe Open Range, and gotten improved quality. At an increased cost of course.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #30

Quote:
There are plenty. Airstream and Oliver both come to mind. If money is no object I'd sure take a look at them. All things are a compromise. You obviously made a compromise between price and quality when you purchased a Jayco.

You made it sound like there was something especially shoddy about Jayco quality. Heck, you could simply go with a different Jayco product line, like maybe Open Range, and gotten improved quality. At an increased cost of course.
Any RV you buy is gong to be a compromise unless you have it custom built from the ground up. Its not just a Jayco thing. Almost all of them are built the same with a few exceptions.

I just wish everything was not on the bloody edge. From the tires and wheels to the cargo capacities.

And some things should just be standard from a safety standpoint like an EMS, TPMS. E rated tires and rims, etc.

And even if offered as options, you start hitting the cargo capacity wall even before you have left the dealer. And they know it and that is why they are willing to give up all that profit from options to third parties.

I am willing to bet that 98% of the RV's on the road today are overloaded. This just causes more safety issues for ALL of us on the road.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #31

Your 2016 can be retrofitted easily and you'll have all you wanted
UltraHeat, Inc. - Easy to Retrofit
Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #32

Quote:

"Another example of Jayco cutting corners."

"P.S. Jayco thinks its all about saving money. I am sure there are a lot of us that would pay extra for it to be done right . . ."

"I just wish everything was not on the bloody edge. From the tires and wheels to the cargo capacities."

"And some things should just be standard from a safety standpoint like an EMS, TPMS. E rated tires and rims, etc."
That's my point. If you are willing to pay more you can get models where "everything is not on the bloody edge". You can even get models where EMS, TPMS and E rated tires and rims are standard. Not everybody is willing to pay more to get those things. If you are, there are plenty of alternatives out there that you decided to not buy. There are even models in the Jayco family that include a lot of those things. You compromised and decided to not pay to have those things but then wanted to belittle Jayco for not including them on the economy trailer you picked. I just think that's unfair to the manufacturer.

It's all about choice. You made the choice to go with a less expensive model then you want to complain that you didn't get all the benefits of the more expensive models.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #33

Quote:
That's my point. If you are willing to pay more you can get models where "everything is not on the bloody edge". You can even get models where EMS, TPMS and E rated tires and rims are standard. Not everybody is willing to pay more to get those things. If you are, there are plenty of alternatives out there that you decided to not buy. There are even models in the Jayco family that include a lot of those things. You compromised and decided to not pay to have those things but then wanted to belittle Jayco for not including them on the economy trailer you picked. I just think that's unfair to the manufacturer.

It's all about choice. You made the choice to go with a less expensive model then you want to complain that you didn't get all the benefits of the more expensive models.
Floor pan drove my decision. It had nothing to do with price.

Not many make a 39+ foot TT. Even fewer have three slides, a full size closet with washer\dryer connections, a king bed, a side entertainment center, a sleeper sofa, a pantry, counter next to the stove, full size shower, and a kitchen island.

But, I am all ears. If you can find a TT with all these features plus the heating pads, EMS, TPMS, electric tank and plumbing heaters, I am all willing to check it out.

P.S. And since when was an Eagle an economy travel trailer? I would continue this conversaton with you but you obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #34

Quote:
Your 2016 can be retrofitted easily and you'll have all you wanted
UltraHeat, Inc. - Easy to Retrofit
I will be making many modifications\additions before my trip to Alaska.

This will be one of them.
360 degree Virtual Tour
Old 01-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Floor pan drove my decision. It had nothing to do with price.

But, I am all ears. If you can find a TT with all these features plus the heating pads, EMS, TPMS, electric tank and plumbing heaters, I am all willing to check it out.

P.S. And since when was an Eagle an economy travel trailer? I would continue this conversaton with you but you obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
Everything on your list can be added by a good RV shop or yourself if your handy. You pay for the feature one way or another. 50K for the assembly line Jayco or 100K for a custom built, the $$ talk. Let use know how you like it after you take delivery. Like many of us you will make it "yours" as you "fix" those things YOU want.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Everything on your list can be added by a good RV shop or yourself if your handy. You pay for the feature one way or another. 50K for the assembly line Jayco or 100K for a custom built, the $$ talk. Let use know how you like it after you take delivery. Like many of us you will make it "yours" as you "fix" those things YOU want.
Thanks. I am pretty handy so I will be making all the mods myself.

I just need to be aware that I only have 1810 pounds. less the second A/C and WD hitch, to work with. That is not a lot by the time you are ready to pull out of the driveway. Add in a potential 80 gallons of grey water after a long boondock and you are left with less than 1100 pounds. I do not think propane is included in that either. Throw in a couple of generators and some solar with a battery bank and you get what I am talking about.

So, like I said, it is not about the money. I can want all these options, and I could install them, but then I am left with no cargo capacity on the trailer.

The only saving grace is that I have a larger TV than most with a large bed which can haul the balance of the cargo. Not very secure but what is now a days.
360 degree Virtual Tour