Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

First Purchase - Good Price?

Hello,
My wife and I are considering purchasing a 29QBS. The options we want are:

Customer Value Package w/ 15,000 BTU A/C
Elite Package
Thermal Package

I received a quote from a dealer ~1,000 miles away for $21,225. I also received a quote from a local dealer for $23,475 including a WDH and sway bar setup.

The unit MSRP lists for $30,712 with options which would put my local offer at 24% under MSRP and the free WDH. The unti 1,000 miles away would be 31% off MSRP without the WDH.

I have heard that the local is very stand up and provides very good service to their customers from these forums and others. While I like to support the local guy, it is hard to give up 7%.

Thoughts?
jconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Site Team

But dont forget the cost of fuel for a 2k mile round trip. Plus the free hitch that would run you somewhere in the 5-8 hundred dollar range. I would go with the local guy. If and when you need warranty work you are his customer and not put at the bottom of the list.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

See if the local guy will match the other guys price or come closer to his price. Keep in mind what it'll cost you to travel 2000 miles round trip. Add that to the out of town guy's price. Your local should be able to match his price or at least get you to price that would be the same that would include your travel price to the other place.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
If you have a written quote from the low dealer, take it to the local dealer and try to negotiate a lower price. A WHD (bar type) and installation shouldn't be more than $500 for a basic setup. If you have to take your TT in for service, the local guy is also going to remember where you bought that TT from.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

Just remember if you buy from the away dealer the local guy my put you to the back of the line when it comes to service and warranty.. When you add the cost of fuel back and forth and the sway hitch I think the local dealer is giving you a better deal...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #6

When I was looking at TT's last year I had priced units in both Canada and the US looking for the best deal possible keeping in mind current exchange rates and delivery in the prices. I had found the same TT at my local dealer who actually beat the best price I had found in another province by close to 2G (25% less than MSRP). After I had purchased the TT the WD hitch that they had sold me turned out was not suitable so they exchanged it for a Husky Centerline hitch without any problems and made sure I was satisfied with how it towed. I have had my TT in for some warranty work and the first question the service dept asked was "did you buy it from us?". In your case $1000 more to purchase from your local dealer is worth it in my mind. Bring in a written quote and see if you can squeeze another 1-2% more off MSRP. Worth a try.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #7

Buy where you can get it cheaper - including the cost to go get it and the cost of the extra's. It's that simple. If your dealer is asking if you bought it from them, it better be because they don't want to have to start new paperwork, not because you are going to the back of the line. I would not buy from a dealer that has a list for priority depending on if you bought from them or not - if I buy used does that mean I am at the back of the line? That 2k miles round trip will cost you about $500 (2000mi / 10mpg = 200gallons x $2.50) + $5-800 for a WDH = $1k-1200. Sounds like the two deals are nearly the same. I personally drove over 500mi to a different state to buy my trailer as the local dealers wanted $7000 more - not including the WDH that I also got from the dealer out of state. I have had no issues with being on a list from the local dealer.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

When you calculate your travel expenses to the dealer 1,000 away, don't forget to add $200-$300 for motel costs along the way, and at least one night in a campground on the way back. I doubt you're going to drive 1,000 miles (17 - 20 hours) straight through . . . each way. And that doesn't include the value of your time.

As for dealers putting you at the back of the line unless you bought the trailer from them: I know it's not right, but it happens all the time. If you put yourself in the dealer's shoes for a minute, you'd probably be more likely to bust your hump for a loyal customer than for a stranger, too. If it were me, I'd ask the local dealer if he can come closer to the other guys price. He may surprise you and come down a bit. It's all part of the negotiating process. But whether he does or not, I'd go with the local guy. JMHO!

Good luck with your negotiations, and happy camping which ever way you go!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #9

If 1K each way figure 4 days minimum and that is worth something. If the local guy is reputable and has a good service dept then stay local. I think all in you are 1K apart and I would make it clear to them why after you negotiate your best price. Having an itemized quote with the options listed helps this process.

Ask to see the manager or owner and tell them you are trying to keep it local and support them. 9 out of 10 times you are going to need something serviced under warranty and having the pull locally might be the difference in a trip for you down the line. There are just too many gadgets in these newer models for something not to go awry during the course of ownership.

I kept my last purchase local after pushing very hard, paying slightly more and making it clear why I was staying local at the slightly higher cost. My dealer has gone over and above for me and kept my trips on schedule as a result. They serviced my last unit bought far away, but the reaction time has greatly increased since becoming a purchasing customer.

Just my 2 cents and to some that's what it comes down to, so a road trip might be in your near future. Welcome and good luck in your purchase.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

I'd go local.

- You said he's reputable
- Better warranty service because you bought from him
- Probably the same price by the time you factor in gas, weight distribution hitch, hotel cost, etc
- Wasted time on your end. You are looking at a 3-4 day trip minimum hauling a trailer home. My time at home is invaluable to me. Versus an afternoon picking it up.
- Lastly, I try to always support my local area first.

To me it's a simple decision. But I'd use the other quote and see if you can get the price down a little more just in case.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Our first TT was the little X23B which we bought through RV Direct and picked up in Orlando (a 1000 mi trip). We turned it into a short vacation (empty nesters, just the bride and I) which we thoroughly enjoyed.
I fretted over the local/price decision before pulling the trigger but decided to go with the price. Part of that was the local dealer didn't seem to have much Jayco inventory and I didn't come away with a "warm-fuzzy" after visiting them.
We were lucky in that in the 2 yrs we owned it I only had one warranty issue. I called Jayco and after a little discussion (me wanting to avoid a trip to the local dealer) they shipped the replacement part directly to me which I installed. It was almost trivial, replacing the stereo. They had it on my front porch in 2 days and paid to ship the old one back to them. After that nothing went wrong that would justify a warranty claim.
Upgrading to the 5th caused me to re-think and we bought from an almost local dealer. The 5th is a more complicated beast and I felt better knowing I would take it to my "purchased from" dealer if needed.
It's in their shop right now for a few items, the most serious is the front cap which needs a re-paint. A few more weeks will tell if my expectations are met.
I think I stand with the rest of the opinions here in that I'd buy from your local guy since he has a good rep and is pretty close in price.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #12

I would go local since the dealership has good reviews
You can try to get some more extras...if they wont (cant) lower the price

Keep us posted
GL

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

Just saw your profile...where in Florida are you?
What dealership are you looking at?
Got mine at RV One in Tampa--awesome dealership

GL

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #14

jconner, I have a quote for a 2015 QBS with the upgraded AC, elite, aluminum wheels, thermal and cargo receiver for $21,600 (plus tax and tags) from my local dealer. I received a slightly lower quote from RVdirect... but I would have to drive 6 hours there and 6 hours back so save a couple hundred dollars. I think I am somewhere around 65% of MSRP with my quote from the local dealer. Even at 35% off MSRP he is still making a profit. That price involved very minimal negotiation through email... not even in person.

I would encourage you to get a quote from Rvdirect to figure out what a reasonable price for your rig would be, then I would try to negotiate with your local dealer.

RV dealers aren't required to do warranty work if you don't buy from them. Most dealers will do warranty work, but you will wait until they have helped their customers first. That being said, I've heard that Jayco will authorize repair work to independent shops as well as dealers. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty aspect. The $2000 in price is nothing to ignore, but as others have said you have to weigh the cost and hassle of driving 1000 miles there and back.

I would encourage you to negotiate. A smart dealer will take a smaller profit from a sale then NO PROFIT from NO SALE. There have to be other dealers between you and the 1000 mile away guy that isn't giving you an amazing deal either.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse 823 View Post
Just saw your profile...where in Florida are you?
What dealership are you looking at?
Got mine at RV One in Tampa--awesome dealership

GL

I am in Gainesville. Thanks for the tip! I have talked to a few dealers but enjoyed my experience with Tradewinds the best so far.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #16

I would like to thank everyone for their amazing information and advice. I will indeed see if they can move more on the price. Prior to my first posts here, I read through many many threads on this forum and am blown away by the support network you all provide. This was a MAJOR reason for my decision to go with Jayco . Thanks again!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
if I buy used does that mean I am at the back of the line?
Quite the opposite. If you bought used, there is no warranty and you would be paying cash for any service therefore you would be at the front of the line.

OP -- this is a very easy decision for me. There is no way I would travel that distance for very marginal savings. My time is worth is worth a lot.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 AM   #18

Like they say: Might be best to buy from the local dealer.
I would give it one more shot at trying the get the local do a little better on his price.
You are going to need some service somewhere along the line, a good dealer means good service.
Good Luck!
linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #19

Look at BATESRV in Tampa. They have some very competitive pricing and are not that far from you. Looks like you have about made up your mind and received a lot of info. I have always used the RV Direct approach for a good baseline price and taken that to my dealer. He has always come close to or matched their price. I am on my third purchase from a dealer about an hour away. I have only had to leave my unit there for one warranty repair job. The other times, I have pulled in and they have done the repair work right then, and on the spot. One time even included cutting a hole in the front basement storage to remove the furnace to replace a control board that was bad from the factory. Put me ahead of everyone else and did it right then while I waited in the showroom. Each of us has our own opinion and for good reasons. I just love my local dealer.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #20

We bought a thousand miles from home and saved a couple thousand dollars, but being retired the travel time was unimportant. In fact, it put us a thousand miles closer to DW's family back east, so we integrated the pickup into a visit back there.

All that being said, we were lucky that no warranty work was required. Near the end of the 2-year warranty we had two minor issues to fix. Only one dealer in our entire metro area was willing to do that work. And they had us wait two months.

In the future I'd work very hard on price and make every effort to buy "locally," which for us is still a 300 mile round trip for Jayco products.

If I read your post right, OP, you haven't made a counter offer. Don't expect a dealer to give you his best price, no matter how much he may claim they have given up. I operate on the idea that if I reach a price at which a car/RV dealer agrees, I'm probably paying too much.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote