Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #21

Fiberglass much more water tight
JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:49 PM   #22

We just got our '17 Jay Feather 17XFD for almost $10k below msrp, sticker was $25k and we paid $15.5k plus tax. I found another dealer 6 hours away that had a great advertised price for the same model, then emailed the local guy and asked if he could match. He got me within $500 which was worth not making the drive to get the other one.
A65bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #23

Go the cash option and be done with it! You can get great deals on smaller campers especially walking in with cash in hand. Then just start moding your camper i.e. Solar if it doesn't have it already, nice portable generator, lots of accessories, more camping trips and peace of mine that it is yours.. You can always trade it in for something bigger down the road. Remember less is more!!!! You can check out my little Jayco Baja on youtube (Jayco Fever) just go to:
KTVStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #24

We've gone through a lot of rvs of various types and sizes. The best one for our family of six was our Shasta. It wasn't large (21 feet), but it had 4 bunk beds in the back, a double bed bunk over the dinette (which also made into a double bed), a large bathroom, great kitchen and tons of storage (no slides back then). Floor plan was a very important consideration. We purchased it used - it was our first hard-side and the only used camper we ever bought. We had that camper for almost 23 years (1986-2008), and I can't tell you how much our family talks about the wonderful memories we had with it (our boys are now in their 30s and one daughter is 40), and this Christmas it was again one of our topics of conversation). We used it on weekends in the summer - the mountains were about an hour away from us. Through the years, sometimes our camping was limited because of work/kids' activities, but it was the best purchase we ever made. We can't think of a better way to spend time together as a family, and we continue to do so to this day, each of our children's families with their own campers.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #25

Size

Go as big as you can are first camper was a 40' toy hauler.No more toys so we bought the Eagle RSTS.May be what also determines size is your tow vehicle!Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #26

We bought a 26BH last year with the upgraded Elite Package for $15,300. This is a good size trailer for the price. Check it out
gburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #27

Might check the water, black/grey holding and propane capacities on the JayFeather line. I compared Feather to Flight and in my 23' range noted the capacities of the Feather line to be unacceptable for any moderate term boondocking. With a family of three, those limitations maybe even more important for you.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTVStriker View Post
Go the cash option and be done with it! You can get great deals on smaller campers especially walking in with cash in hand. Then just start moding your camper i.e. Solar if it doesn't have it already, nice portable generator, lots of accessories, more camping trips and peace of mine that it is yours.. You can always trade it in for something bigger down the road. Remember less is more!!!! You can check out my little Jayco Baja on youtube (Jayco Fever) just go to:
Sweet rig right there!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
My first experience with trailer camping was the summer after I graduated from high school (1964). My parents bought a 15 foot trailer and we camped around Montana, and even did a 2 week trip to Banff and Jasper in Canada. There were either 4 or 5 in that trailer every trip - 5 on the Canada trip - and we managed just fine. Most of our "living" was outside. We slept in the trailer, and we played cards around the dinette in the evening. It was cozy but we enjoyed every minute of it.

Now I have this 24 foot bumper to ball Jayco with a king bed slide out the back, making it effectively about 29 feet long, and just for the two of us most of the time, and sometimes the dog is along. Sure, it's nicer, but it also has stuff that we will never use - things like the TV and microwave. AC might be used if we go somewhere with shore power in midsummer, but that is something we rarely do. For our purposes, it's still more of a bed on wheels with attached kitchen. Even the bathroom only gets minimal use most of the time.
Wait 'til you get some of those southern states colored in on your US map during the summer. You'll be tickled pink you have air conditioning.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
Wait 'til you get some of those southern states colored in on your US map during the summer. You'll be tickled pink you have air conditioning.
Probably would, but I won't be heading south in the summer. I lived in the Bahamas for 2 years full time, and summers just about killed me. I don't get on well with humidity even when the temp is otherwise comfortable. I was stationed at Ft. Polk LA June - August 1965, so I learned about summer in the south when I was 18... that should have been enough to cure me.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #31

Take time to look at rv trader.com and do a nationwide search just for reference. Many dealers list there new, used and new old stock. I saved a lot of money buying a 2016 as the 2017 models were rolling in. And traveling a few miles out of my area. That being said there is a lot to say for buying local.
Airpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #32

don't forget to ask for freebies. our 212QBW was $17,995.00 list. we were out the door for 14,980.00 including tax, our hitch set up, sway bar package, deluxe propane tank cover and couple of other small things I've forgotten now.. oh yeah a gift card for $50.00 in their store and 10% off first $250.00 spent in their store. ours didn't come with TV or mounts for one. when we picked up the unit after dealer prep, we brought the locking swivel mount we got with us and they installed for free. we have been very happy with dealer service with a couple of minor warranty issues and they are easy to deal with. that in itself is worth something as well.
my .02
Troutcamper
Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #33

Hello Breakbad, have you found your dream TT yet?

There are lots of god options out there. We too are a family of three but with only one dog. Not sure what you want for a camper. Being that you stated, the rentals seamed cramped, I would recommend a camper with a slide-out wall. They really make the floor space feel more open. Even a small slide-out adds a lot of space.

There is a tax advantage to having a loan on a camper that has a bathroom. I do not know if this is valid in every state. But you can write off the interest on your taxes, as a camper is considered a second home. So it is worth a look at the tax rules and see if it could help your tax situation.

I really like the hybrid concepts, you get a large package in a small space. The X213 the lower front bunk folds up, could be a great place for the dogs and their stuff. The kid could sleep on the upper bunk. The down side of this unit is no slide-out in the living area, so it could be cramped while cooking, eating and on stormy days. However, you can use the camper while closed up to sleep/nap, or to have lunch while on the road.

We have a X23B, One of the things I like about it is the slide-out, it is not huge, but it adds a lot of space. We often move the folding table in front of the couch, to prep meals or even eat there. We like the tent ends, but some people that is a turn off. We can also Turtle in this HTT (camp in it with the ends closed). It is a very nice compromise.

I would recommend going to the dealer ditching the sales person, and site in multiple campers, dig through every little cubby, and find every little hidden area. And discuss how and where you will put all your stuff. To me it is important that everything has a home. The one thing I wish the hybrids had was a higher CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity).

Happy camping!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #34

good advice about just spending time in the ones you like. we pretty much
spent 3-4 hours in the one we finally chose. just trying to get a feel for everything. made believe we were going through the actions we would be doing on a normal trip. discovered a lot that way.
Troutcamper