Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

First time on a CAT scale

I have yet to get a weight on the trailer, loaded up and ready to roll.

What is the proper procedure to weight just the trailer?
Can I leave it hitched up with the trailer on the scale and the truck off?
Should the WD bars be disengaged?

I don't want to clog up this CAT scale for any more time than absolutely necessary......it's a busy scale right off a major interstate highway.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 AM   #2

Tell them you want 3 weighs done .
First is your Tow Vehicle (TV) without the TT attached & having a full tank of gas, fully loaded cargo ( passengers, stuff in back, etc . (as if your going to hit the road).
Second weigh is with TV & Trailer , also loaded as if your ready to go with WD hitch fully attached.
Third weigh will be with again with TV & TT, but not loading up the WD hitch & just leave the bars hanging on.
Than you can analyze the data & see if your okay. Some people, from what I've read, will actually place the TT jack on the scale to determine the weight on the tongue & some will weigh each wheel separately to see if the weight is distributed evenly. I don't know the procedure for that or if the CAT scale operators will allow it if they are busy.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

Robert....

I am not too concerned with the TV weight.
Just looking to verify the trailer weight.

Would leaving the trailer only on the scale, with the truck off the end, can I get an accurate weight that way......or release the WD bars, yet still hooked up or totally unhook it all?

I suppose I could visit this CAT scale and ask them.
It's a few minutes from the house.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Robert....

I am not too concerned with the TV weight.
Just looking to verify the trailer weight.

Would leaving the trailer only on the scale, with the truck off the end, can I get an accurate weight that way......or release the WD bars, yet still hooked up or totally unhook it all?

I suppose I could visit this CAT scale and ask them.
It's a few minutes from the house.
Take GVW with TV and Trailer, and then subtract your weight for the TV only pass. That is an accurate GTW. Note that this calculation should be the same regardless of the status of your WDH bars.

You can also calculate your TW fairly close by taking the difference of the Truck plus TT (no WDH) GVW of the truck (axle 1 plus axle 2, not axle 3) and subtracting the Truck GVW no trailer (you will only have axle 1 plus axle 2).

Note, it is best not to stay on the scale. Pull on, weigh, pull off, make changes, and line up to do it again.

ETA: Yes, you need to disconnect the trailer for the truck only weight. Pull to the side, park and disconnect the trailer, then pull back on with the truck on the axle 1 and 2 pads.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #5

Alrighty bankr63...

The way I read this is two separate weights....

Truck/trailer together.
Disconnect......truck only.

Thank you
Old 03-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

Actually 3 pass.

First pass, Truck and Trailer with WDH engaged. Will give you 3 axle weights. Pull off and disengage WDH. I put my bars in the back of the truck near the hitch.
Second pass, Truck and Trailer with WDH disengaged. Will give 3 more axle weights. Pull off and disconnect the trailer.
Third pass, Truck only. Will give you 2 more axle weights.
Now go inside and get your slips.

Note that if you aren't sure about your WDH adjustment, you might want an extra pass at #2 position with a different setting on your WDH if it is adjustable (i.e. take up an extra link on the chain).

Now comes a bit of math. From these numbers you can calculate your truck GVW (ax1+2) for each pass. You can calculate your GTW and TW as above. And you can see how much weight transference you are getting from the WDH. You can also compare your reading against the GAWR for front and back axles found on your door jamb.

Hope that helps. I think that it is @oldmanaz who has a really detailed post on the process here on JOF. Look for it and follow along. That's what I used my first time.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Hey Red!
As a couple of folks have stated for a bumper-tow it really takes 3 passes. I was intimidated during my first weigh but got thru it and now after 3 different scale visits I feel like the pro.

This sticky tells the story pretty good and should help you thru the first time.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

I'll add my own pointers:
When you unhitch find a place out of the way, if there are big rigs parked in the truckstop I'd use one of those spots. Done it several times and no one has told me I'm doing it wrong.
You won't be on the scales any longer than a commercial rig and will pay the same. The first pass is $10 and the next ones are $3 each IIRC.
You'll get a yellow weight ticket for each pass over the scale. Take a quick look at them all to make sure they make sense. Our 2nd time over the scales a commercial rig went over between my first and second pass. I got his weight ticket and I guess he got one of mine. We made the stop as quick as possible and once back on the road I asked the bride to read me some of the weights. They just didn't add up. Well, she's reading the wrong numbers and I'll sort it out this evening after we hit the CG. Nope, she was spot on with the numbers.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:11 PM   #8

In newbie opinion I think 3 pass on scale is one more than necessary. First pass TV only get front axle and rear axle weight. Second pass with Trailer get your TV&TW front axle, TV&TW rear axle and trailer axle weight.

TV gross weight= TV front + TV rear
TW= (TV&TW front +TV&TW)-TV gross
Trailer gross= 2nd pass total - first pass total

It is recommended that TV front axle weight remain same with trailer attached.
It too much or too less weight on TV front axle with trailer attached then WD need to be adjusted.

What am I missing?
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #9

Double post....

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post
In newbie opinion I think 3 pass on scale is one more than necessary. First pass TV only get front axle and rear axle weight. Second pass with Trailer get your TV&TW front axle, TV&TW rear axle and trailer axle weight.

TV gross weight= TV front + TV rear
TW= (TV&TW front +TV&TW)-TV gross
Trailer gross= 2nd pass total - first pass total

It is recommended that TV front axle weight remain same with trailer attached.
It too much or too less weight on TV front axle with trailer attached then WD need to be adjusted.

What am I missing?
Actually as has been explained above, here passes across the scale are needed to be able to figure all the weights. Reason being if you only weigh the tv & tt once w/ the wd bars hooked up, you won't be able to figure your tw (tongue weight) properly. You will only be able to figure the "net" tw (as I call it) with the wd bars hooked up. THis tw will not be the same as if you placed a scall under the coupler("gross" tw, same as if the w/ wd bars are unhooked), as some weight is transferred back to the tt axles.

As for the FA weight with the wd bars hooked up vs the tv only, this actually varies from manufacture to manufacture. Last I knew the GM Twins still suggested restoring 100% of the lost weight, but for the Ford (150) it was recommended to only restore 25% of the lost weight for the newest models, and previous to those was only 50%.

The best suggestion is for each owner to check their owners manual to see what is recommended for their tv.

Red,

Sounds like you may be all set with how to do the three passes across the CAT Scale, btbif needed follow my signature link.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Actually as has been explained above, here passes across the scale are needed to be able to figure all the weights.......snip
Must be a typo: Reads ""here passes across"...., Should read "three passes across".....,

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Must be a typo: Reads ""here passes across"...., Should read "three passes across".....,

Bob
Yes, it should read THREE passes....

TY Bob!!!

Maybe an awesome mod could fix my typo??? I tried and it's been to long. Was posting while waiting to board the plane to head south for Spring Break.

Though I blame the smart phone!!!

Old 04-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #13

There's some good videos on YouTube that explain the RV weighing process.
Kc8yhk is offline   Reply With Quote