Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #1

First time owners 2016 29QBS

Hello everybody. My soon to be family of four just purchased a jay flight 29QBS two weeks ago and I stumbled across this site last week. I have already learned a ton from reading the posts, so thank you for all of your free info. I was wondering if yall had any advice for me and my family. We have already bought a good sewer hose, power cable adapters, fresh water hose, and a few other odds and ends, but I would love any input yall had. When we purchased the trailer we bought an E2 roll bar WDH, is that a decent brand/model? We are so new to this we have no clue if we are doing this camping thing correctly. Thanks for any advice yall have. My family and I can't wait to get camping, see yall on the road and in camp.
Flyboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #2

Congratulations on your JayFlight.

The E2 is built by an excellent company (IMHO) and is a 2 point sway control. I have the 4 point sway control WDH made by the same company - Progress Mfg. There may be others here using the E2.

There is almost no way to do camping incorrectly, as long as everyone is safe, but there is virtually a limitless way to do it.

What kind of experience do you have with camping? That will help others provide meaningful 'clues' about camping. Also, what tow vehicle will you be using?

Welcome to the JOF.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I grew up camping with my family in an RV, but that was years ago. I'm sure everything has changed. My TV is a 2011 2500HD Durmax, so hopefully it's plenty of truck for the TT. Thanks again for any and all advice yall have.

My other TV is a C-17, but I can't just take that out whenever I want.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

Congrats and welcome to JOF.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 PM   #5

We LOVE our 29QBS. We have two boys (6 and 8 years old) and take them all the time in it. We have room to bring another family of three with us very comfortably and have yet to use up our storage. The Duramax is going to tow it just fine. We tow with an F150 EB and while it rides fine with very little sway, it is right at the edge of too much trailer for us in terms of payload. We just take our time pulling, no hurry.

Yeah, a Globemaster is more than enough to haul it but you would be hard pressed to find a suitable campsite for that TV and the fuel consumption is miserable.
jconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy82 View Post
Thanks for the info. I grew up camping with my family in an RV, but that was years ago. I'm sure everything has changed. My TV is a 2011 2500HD Durmax, so hopefully it's plenty of truck for the TT. Thanks again for any and all advice yall have.

My other TV is a C-17, but I can't just take that out whenever I want.
Congrats on a new Travel Trailer and yes, you have plenty of truck for that TT. Happy camping.

Love those C-17s, nice ride every time.

Eric, Vilva & Sam (Golden Retriever)
2015 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2008 Nissan Titan
maksdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #7

Flyboy,

Welcome and congrats on the new rig!!!

Once you load the trailer up with everything, you will probably need to re-adjust the wdh. When the dealer set up the wdh it was for an empty trailer. Here is a link to wdh set up and how a wdh works.

Enjoy the new rig!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #8

Congratulations and Welcome, but most of all, thank you for your service to our Great Nation!

We were in your shoes a couple of years ago and the best advice we got was to take it slow and easy. Lots of great folks here that are happy to answer any questions you may have.

IMO, two essentials that I consider cheap insurance, and I don't see on your list above, are an Electrical Management System/Surge Protection (I won't plug in without it) and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Those were some of the first things I purchased and the EMS has saved us a couple of times.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

Congrats!

My suggestion would be to not worry about what you need to the point of getting stressed out. Get the basics (which it sounds like you have) and get out and use it. Make sure your first couple trips are short or have someplace not to too far away if you have to run out for something. The RV industry is great at selling things that you may need once in a lifetime of camping. We bought a few of these items. Now I find myself simplifying.

Walk around in the campground and if you see something interesting, something you think you want, or something you don't know what it is, stop in for a chat and ask what they think of it. Campgrounds are like old fashioned forums! Most campers like to chat with others and are typically pretty friendly!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

Don't forget you need to level the trailer under the wheels, side to side. Wether it be with boards or plastic stacking blocks.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #11

Plenty of truck for sure! I was towing my 29qbs with a 1500 and felt fine in flat ground. Just bought a 2500 tho because I was a little worried about taking it to the mountains. The only thing I can say that ever was a pain not to have on hand was extra fuses. They are cheap and you should never be without. Trial and error seems to be the best bet to see what works for you. Can't wait to get back out there!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:22 AM   #12

Welcome to JOF. We're not too far up the road from you (Elk City). And thanks for your service, btw, if you're Air Force. We have a 264BHW towing with a half ton, so you'll be fine.
Your list looked good, but I'm not sure I saw a surge protector on there. Also a water pressure regulator, and maybe water filter.

Happy camping!
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #13

Welcome and Congrats on your new camper.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 PM   #14

Congrats

Congrats on your new purchase !! Have fun !!
RDEBREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #15

Under 29QBS owner here, we bought a 2015 last spring and LOVE it. Ours came standard with the outdoor kitchen, which we didn't initially think we wanted. We didn't have the option for quad bunks. Tunrs out we LOVE the outdoor kitchen and use it all the time. We only have 2 kids, so triple bunks is plenty. Great camper, great layout.

Welcome to the forums, there isa TON of great info here. Lots of people have innovative and useful mods. Lots of good discussions and a lot less bickering than on some other rv forums...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #16

Spoon I had the exact same experience with the out door kitchen on my 29qbs. It was my first camper and thought it was a waste. In the 35 days we camped I don't think I used the inside kitchen more then 3 meals. Love the layout too.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #17

Welcome aboard and congrats on new Jayco
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #18

Thanks to everybody for all the inputs. We can't wait to get out in the camp grounds.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #19

Congratulations on your new trailer, and welcome to The Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy82 View Post
Thanks to everybody for all the inputs. We can't wait to get out in the camp grounds.
Why wait? If possible, spend a night or two "driveway camping"! You'll get (at least part of) the joy of camping, the trill of using your new rig for the first time, and you'll be able to learn the things you'll need to bring with you when you finally get to take the trailer to the campground!

Happy camping!