Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
One other thought after reading through this thread, if you are new to towing something like this, it might not be a bad idea to rent a travel trailer for a weekend just to see how you do with it. It is more common to see people renting motor homes, but most decent sized cities have travel trailer rentals too. Rent one that has similar weights to what you are considering purchasing. Nothing worse than spending 20K on a camper and realizing you hate towing it... while somewhat rare with the education you are getting here, it still happens. Just my 2 cents... excellent advise in the rest of this thread.. I couldn't possibly add anything. Let us know what you decide to do.
Excellent advice, bansai!
In bluejay's first post he states he is new to RVing. If possible, do a long weekend and, hopefully, spend the first night in the driveway to be sure the bedding etc. is all set. Then have a reservation in a nice RV park, not too far down the road (an hour or two?), with a pull-through site.

Even if the trailer rental had to be longer than a weekend, IMO, it would be money well-spent vs buying and hating it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #42
Site Team

Check out this video as a primer for towing.

Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #43

Have you looked at the 174BH? Under 3k lbs empty!! I think this trailer comes close to meeting your needs ans desires and i.m.o. matches your T.V. much better than the other trailers you mentioned. It does have a queen rather than a murphy.

edited to correct model number.
Khans Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #44

Many thanks

Thanks so much Norty1 for posting the video re: sway and towing. That was extremely informative and helped me to better understand why it is important to avoid loading all weight in the back of the trailer. Also, Khans Keeper I was grateful for your posting of the 174BH. We spent some time looking into it, and there are some really compelling arguments for that trailer. It is indeed extremely lightweight and I am sure that many who own it, love it!

At this point I have been looking into hitches and doing some research, and wanted to check with you all re: my thoughts. I had heard about the Hensley and did a ton of reading there, only to discover the ProPride hitches that seem to be an evolution of the Hensley (with additional features, due to Mr. Hensley no longer even being part of the company that bears his name, hate it when that happens!). So, I emailed Sean at ProPride and was stunned that he emailed me instantly back even late on a Saturday night. I was really impressed.

At this point (and, I know that we will be maximizing the capabilities of the TV) we are still really leaning towards the 24MBH (5415/610) or 23BHM (4930/600). We would travel light and even perhaps accompany with another vehicle. I am thinking of the ProPride 3p 1000 model. I also asked Sean about his thoughts re: brake controllers. He recommended the Tekonsha P3 and I was very happy to see that it's not a very expensive device on Amazon, less than $150. Apparently I can install it myself, I'd love to learn any and all of your thoughts on this hitch, the controller, installation thoughts etc. I am extremely appreciative of your patience and council as I go about learning as much as possible prior to making any decision.
bluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #45

Installation challenges

So, when I reached out to the vendor that I'm hoping to work with, I learned that they will not install a ProPride hitch. Here's what I was told:

"our technicians are only trained to install one brand of hitch equipment that we have found to be reliable and that is reese. We wouldnt be able to train all of our technicians on every brand of hitch and we want them to know what they are doing so its always done right."

Looks like I have another brand to research in Reese. I'm not yet sure if this is a sway eliminator like the PP or something else entirely. There are truly a ton of variables in all of these decisions. Also I was told that I should order soon if I want to have something by Spring. That said I'd rather wait until I'm sure
Old 11-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #46
Site Team

I know several and have read of many more who say the ProPride is meant to be user installed and that Sean will work with you to resolve any problems that arise.

A member here has installed one and documented it on a youTube video if you are interested.

If I needed a good hitch, I would not settle for what a dealer could supply!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #47

norty1

Thanks so much norty1 I really appreciate it.
If the vendor only installs a reese, do I accept that, drive it home, and then install the ProPride by myself, and keep the reese as a spare in case I sell it, (so I can move the PP to another trailer?) I have heard that the PP adds a lot of weight to the tongue (hence payload). Thanks for any wisdom re: how much I should calculate, whether this is offset by weight distribution, etc. It really sounds like the PP is the way to go and totally worth the money, so I have no problem. It just would have been nice to have it installed and ready to go instead of having to drive with an (unsafe?) reese. Obviously I do not yet know what I am talking about I have never even seen these hitches. Just going by all the reading I can do.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #48
Site Team

First time post! Newbie and advice please :)

The Reese is not unsafe. I didn't mean to imply that. I'm not. Sure of your details.
I would get more detail just remember you don't need top of the line if your weights don't require it. The Reese has a sway option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #49

reese

norty1 thanks again for taking the time to write. You didn't imply that the reese was unsafe in any way— it was my question and I'm still just in the beginning phases of research (had only heard of that brand for the first time today). You mention that there is a reese sway option: by this do you mean that reese makes a sway-eliminator option like the Hensley/Propride? If so that dealership may be able to install that one.

I wrote to Sean and learned that many people install their own PP. One option could be for me to have the dealer provide me with a reese, and then install my own Pp. That would perhaps be an additional (significant?) expense for me however to pay for 2 hitches when I only need one. I was surprised that the dealer wouldn't install a hitch of my choice, however it seems that they only work with reese.

It also came to my mind that I have been limiting myself to quotes placed by a signal dealer (rvone). They seem to be so much less expensive than elsewhere. Are there any other really major jayco dealers nationwide who can compete with those prices (i.e.; "Who are the largest jayco dealers nationwide?). I was seeing at least a 5k difference for the identical trailer depending on where I was shopping and for that $ I am willing to drive. Preferably I'd like to work with someone who will be willing to install a PP for me.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #50
Site Team

Reese is the most commonly used and sold. They do have friction type sway attachments and they are widely used. If your dealer install them, I am sure they will be knowledgeable about the sway attachments. You can compare the price they charge on the Reese and other web sites.

Friction Sway Controls
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 11-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #51

Regarding your discussion of hybrids you should know that some national parks (mostly in the west) will not allow soft sided campers. Others have additional restrictions regarding food storage in soft sided campers. It's all related to bears and other wildlife and may not matter to you. Just wanted to point it out for your consideration.

I'll not weigh in on the weight discussion as you are already getting good advice in that area. Except to say that you'll be surprised how much the junk you carry with you actually weighs. You don't usually give it a lot of thought but it all adds up pretty fast.

One more CAT scale tip - stop with the front axle on one scale platform and the rear axle on another and you can get individual front and rear axle weights. Your ticket looks like you had both axles on the front axle platform.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #52

I realize that I am off subject but think about the Murphy bed. Many of us have had problems with the factory mattress. If you go with the murphy bed you may be stuck with the original mattress that can fold up in the frame. A good night resting can make a good day camping. Just a thought.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #53

Dear friends, thank you all so much for your many thoughts and advice last winter when we began our search. This past summer we ended up tent camping throughout Michigan and Wisconsin, and also in Manitoba and parts of Ontario.

We had a ball with a very large tent and with a number of portable shelters to create a mini base-camp. While we enjoyed ourselves very greatly, we had a scare in Wisconsin when a major storm came through with heavy thunder and lightning, we ended up tearing down the campsite in the middle of the night which was very tricky and more than little unsettling (it wasn't quite a tornado, but really close).

All that said, we are pretty set on a hard-side camper so that we can feel safe in a major storm again, and also so that we can camp in many of the national parts that might not allow hybrids, that I have heard of. As you all helped me to understand clearly, our initial hope of the White Hawk 24MBH is unrealistic when looking at the payload and towing capacity of our 1st gen Sequoia, which we love (I do not anticipate our switching out for a number of years).

Thanks to all of your incredibly helpful advice, I learned how to weigh my vehicle and came up with 5440lbs, leaving us with 1260 left for payload. (I'm still not totally understanding all of the numbers, so please let me know if I am calculating incorrectly in any way!).

We love the layout and size of the 24MBH however we would really be pushing it giving these numbers and have given up on that model. One element I want to mention is that the payload is listed as 1495 on the Toyota literature and website (image attached) and 1250 on the sticker.

I'm sure that the sticker is what I should focus on rather than the site etc; but it seems that there is a range there up to 1495 that would really give us a bit of cushion room. If we could go for the 23BHM and travel light that would be so exciting. if we can't, our options will definitely change...

I noted that the 174BH (thanks Khans Keeper!) is really lightweight and has bunks! Super nice. I also saw that the 2018 models seem to be appearing on the website. I was wondering whether (if the 23BHM is just not possible) any other models exist, that are hard-sided not hybrid, with perhaps a Murphy and bunks, and yet still lightweight?

We are willing to consider other models than Jayco (perhaps blasphemy on this site!! If that question goes beyond the scope of what is allowed on the site, no problem and I do apologize in advance! Thank you all so much as ever for your many thoughts. This is one of the friendliest, most helpful and patient forums that I have ever posted on. You are all very generous with newbies I must say!! Very sincerely, blue
Attached Thumbnails
Sequoia_Online_Payload.jpg  
Old 08-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #54

The Murphy bed does not fold. It simply flips up to a vertical position. It used the same mattress as the other Jaycos.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:58 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejay View Post
Dear friends, thank you all so much for your many thoughts and advice last winter when we began our search. This past summer we ended up tent camping throughout Michigan and Wisconsin, and also in Manitoba and parts of Ontario.

We had a ball with a very large tent and with a number of portable shelters to create a mini base-camp. While we enjoyed ourselves very greatly, we had a scare in Wisconsin when a major storm came through with heavy thunder and lightning, we ended up tearing down the campsite in the middle of the night which was very tricky and more than little unsettling (it wasn't quite a tornado, but really close).

All that said, we are pretty set on a hard-side camper so that we can feel safe in a major storm again, and also so that we can camp in many of the national parts that might not allow hybrids, that I have heard of. As you all helped me to understand clearly, our initial hope of the White Hawk 24MBH is unrealistic when looking at the payload and towing capacity of our 1st gen Sequoia, which we love (I do not anticipate our switching out for a number of years).

Thanks to all of your incredibly helpful advice, I learned how to weigh my vehicle and came up with 5440lbs, leaving us with 1260 left for payload. (I'm still not totally understanding all of the numbers, so please let me know if I am calculating incorrectly in any way!).

We love the layout and size of the 24MBH however we would really be pushing it giving these numbers and have given up on that model. One element I want to mention is that the payload is listed as 1495 on the Toyota literature and website (image attached) and 1250 on the sticker.

I'm sure that the sticker is what I should focus on rather than the site etc; but it seems that there is a range there up to 1495 that would really give us a bit of cushion room. If we could go for the 23BHM and travel light that would be so exciting. if we can't, our options will definitely change...

I noted that the 174BH (thanks Khans Keeper!) is really lightweight and has bunks! Super nice. I also saw that the 2018 models seem to be appearing on the website. I was wondering whether (if the 23BHM is just not possible) any other models exist, that are hard-sided not hybrid, with perhaps a Murphy and bunks, and yet still lightweight?

We are willing to consider other models than Jayco (perhaps blasphemy on this site!! If that question goes beyond the scope of what is allowed on the site, no problem and I do apologize in advance! Thank you all so much as ever for your many thoughts. This is one of the friendliest, most helpful and patient forums that I have ever posted on. You are all very generous with newbies I must say!! Very sincerely, blue
As long as you are blaspheming you may want to look at a Forrest River Rockwood Minilite 2306

Hitch weight - 397 to 415 lbs.
Unloaded Vehicle Weight - 4,075 lbs.
Length 23' 7"

Rockwood Mini Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

I think Jayco is the superior brand, but Forrest River is reputable.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote