Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #1

First time RV owner

Well, we did it. We finally took the plunge after about 4 years of talking about it. Today we bought our first travel trailer. A 2016 Jayco Jay Feather 23 BHM. We don't have it yet as it has to be order from the the mfg. The only thing we didn't get with it is the tv. Figured I could buy that on my own for less than $400 they were being offered for.

We bought it from a local RV dealer at the Pittsburgh RV show. We've been to it for three years in a row now. We had two trailers we really liked, the Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s and the Jayco. The build quality was probably the biggest determining factor in why we went with Jayco. The wife and I are now already planning out every available weekend for some camping trips. I think Assateague Island is topping the list. Can't wait!
fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

Welcome. Congrats on the new trailer
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #4

Congratulations on the Jay Feather and welcome to the JOF.

We didn't buy a TV with our trailer last year... and still don't have one in the trailer and haven't missed it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Congratulations on the Jay Feather and welcome to the JOF.

We didn't buy a TV with our trailer last year... and still don't have one in the trailer and haven't missed it.
Yeah we've been tent camping for years and have never needed/wanted one. This is the only tv we ever wanted while camping

But considering how it seems to rain almost every time we camp, I guess it won't be a bad idea. Of course now that we are no longer in a tent it will probably never rain on our camping trip again.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #6

Welcome
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

My wife says I need to stop obsessing over it and its delivery. Hope its on time.

Enjoy. Lots of great information here.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:24 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum. It is very nice to make the upgrade from a tent.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

Welcome and a big Howdy from Texas!
Blue Ox Sway Pro
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
TxTwoSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #10

Don't know why folks have to slam tv use in Rv's. Smart move to wait and buy your own. Will get a better tv for less $$. When you move up from a tent or even from a pop up, something happens to a lot of us. Kind of like moving indoors after living in a lean too shelter. With that said, you don't have to do anything you don't want to just because you are now a TT owner. But I'm guessing you didn't have a microwave or a toilet in the tent either.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #11

Thanks for the welcomes. Just realized I should have posted this in the welcome mat, oops! And I can't wait to go camping in an rv and not in a tent!
Old 01-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Don't know why folks have to slam tv use in Rv's. Smart move to wait and buy your own. Will get a better tv for less $$. When you move up from a tent or even from a pop up, something happens to a lot of us. Kind of like moving indoors after living in a lean too shelter. With that said, you don't have to do anything you don't want to just because you are now a TT owner. But I'm guessing you didn't have a microwave or a toilet in the tent either.
Ha! Nope, and the idea of sleeping on a mattress is kinda appealing. I had enough years in the Army pretending I liked being in "the field" and sleeping in the elements. I'm ready for some comfort.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #13

Congratulations on the new memory maker and, welcome to JOF.

Don't set expectations of that matters too high, it's an RV mattress which is closer to being in the field than being in the barracks.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
Congratulations on the new memory maker and, welcome to JOF.

Don't set expectations of that matters too high, it's an RV mattress which is closer to being in the field than being in the barracks.

I guess I'll have to just be happy it isn't the inflatable mattress anymore. I have a fat boxer that loves to roam around on the inflatable. You'd swear an earthquake was happening. No more of that either! But I will keep my expectations down.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #15

Hope you are there for the pony roundup. It's a hoot. We left the area long ago and miss the whole Eastern Shore thing. Come to think of it, I wonder if they still do the roundup. Something to google.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
Ha! Nope, and the idea of sleeping on a mattress is kinda appealing. I had enough years in the Army pretending I liked being in "the field" and sleeping in the elements. I'm ready for some comfort.
Forgot to say Welcome in the first post. You'll love sitting in a soft chair w/ feet up on a stool watching whatever or just reading and you realize you're still in your driveway. We did the tent briefly when just out of the army but got into a popup with the kids. Didn't jump to a TT until retired and deciding [after a couple trips to bear country] that something with hard sides was needed. On our 2nd TT after learning a few needs and wants along with a couple never agains with the first one. Take the new trailer to a local state park for a shakedown cruise before you get too crazy loading it up with cool stuff. Most of the camping world stuff gives you that "boy I need that" but ends up in a drawer or storage tote with a bunch of other stuff you never used. Suggestion: Put a notebook in the TT and use it to list the stuff you wish you had or the ??'s you want to ask the forum.

Spend that first night in your driveway or back yard and just enjoy it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #17
Site Team

Everyone obsesses.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
Yeah we've been tent camping for years and have never needed/wanted one. This is the only tv we ever wanted while camping

But considering how it seems to rain almost every time we camp, I guess it won't be a bad idea. Of course now that we are no longer in a tent it will probably never rain on our camping trip again.
Welcome Fragmag! Can you please post a list of the weekends you plan on camping? I always knew there was someone responsible for the rainy ones; now I can work around yours and have sunshine every camping weekend!!

Have to agree with much of the comment here. Moving from a PUP to an HTT we will now have a TV at our disposal. However DW suggests that disposal is exactly where said TV belongs. We'll have to see how things progress over time as we plan to spend more and more time on the road.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Hope you are there for the pony roundup. It's a hoot. We left the area long ago and miss the whole Eastern Shore thing. Come to think of it, I wonder if they still do the roundup. Something to google.

That's the plan, but probably won't happen until next year. Unless it's not too late to book, hmmm need to do some more research.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Forgot to say Welcome in the first post. You'll love sitting in a soft chair w/ feet up on a stool watching whatever or just reading and you realize you're still in your driveway. We did the tent briefly when just out of the army but got into a popup with the kids. Didn't jump to a TT until retired and deciding [after a couple trips to bear country] that something with hard sides was needed. On our 2nd TT after learning a few needs and wants along with a couple never agains with the first one. Take the new trailer to a local state park for a shakedown cruise before you get too crazy loading it up with cool stuff. Most of the camping world stuff gives you that "boy I need that" but ends up in a drawer or storage tote with a bunch of other stuff you never used. Suggestion: Put a notebook in the TT and use it to list the stuff you wish you had or the ??'s you want to ask the forum.

Spend that first night in your driveway or back yard and just enjoy it.
Thanks for the warm welcome. And the great ideas. I've already been reading the rv'ing for dummies section and looking at a bunch of lists. Starting with what to look for when picking up the TT. Went to the Super Duper RV show in Hershey this summer and saw all of those crazy "uneeded" things they were selling. We've already got a plan to head to our usual spot as soon as we get the TT and the weather is nice. So much to learn, but I'm stoked!