Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #21

Vaneta: "In the process of thinking about a different WDH, I finally decided to "put out" for a Hensley or Propride. I hesitate to put this conversation here because the guy at Hensley I talked to really hesitated on answering me; he did not want to mudsling"

That's good to hear. When I was deciding between the two products I found myself in the middle of a nasty commercial divorce. If your reference to the PP guy being from marketing, not engineering, is Sean,, that just might explain a lot for me.

Obviously, I am an unhappy customer, and I don't pretend to be objective.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #22

cekkk: I just found my notes and I was correct that they were not able to get rid of the wiggle in that prototype so they discarded it.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #23

Vaneta: I hadn't heard of the wiggle until now, but I think the design can be helpful to those who need it. Glad it's been improved.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #24

Pretty sure this is the real story. According to this, Jim Hensley never actually worked for Hensley Mfg., but only licensed his design to them. He is now with ProPride. And I do understand there is quite a bit of sniping that takes place from Hensley Mfg towards ProPride.

The Jim Hensley Hitch Story | Hensley Arrow and ProPride 3P Inventor | ProPride, Inc.
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:59 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

I also read up on the Hensley vs. Propride debate and based on what I read, I came to the conclusion that they are both great products but the company presidents used to work together and don't like each other. Once they are hitched up, there probably is no discernible difference once travelling down the road as both will eliminate sway. The Propride has an adjustable stinger and a little less money and the Hensley has been around longer and the paint holds up better. Personally, I have only used the Propride and have nothing but good things to say about it and was very happy with after purchase service.

Next time I hitch up I will take photos and post them. In the interim, if anyone would like photos, PM me with your e-mail address and I can send you pictures of install on an Eagle with the front Propane cover.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #26

Got my new trailer today.

As for the Propride hitch, here is what I've found out (been working on it for the last 5 hours...)

The weight distribution jacks cannot fit on the new 2016 eagles with clearance to remove the propane tank cover. After a conversation with Sean at Propride, he has suggested an alternate solution: The Straptek Weight tension Technology kit.

This is not currently offered on Propride's website, but I found it on Amazon. Sean said he'd send me a set of them and have me send back the jacks.

The Straptek's look like a really good solution, especially for people with clearance issues. I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Compon...words=straptek
Old 10-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #27

By the way... the dealer didn't want to let me tow the trailer home on a standard hitch, so they put it on a standard hitch on their own truck and towed it to my house.

Fine by me. It's in the driveway, cost me nothing extra, and I'm getting down to business with it.

Very pleased overall with my Camping World experience (how often do you hear that?)!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #28

I've now used my Hensley a few times and though I've mostly been on flat surfaces hooking up, I've managed to do it in a few tries. Haven't pulled extensively on interstates but when I did, there was a noticeable difference when tractor trailers blow by. BTW, the placement of the ball receiver being on the bottom of the Jayco Whitehawk frame creates a problem of it's own when you order anything. Hensley had the the other bars, etc needed and asked the type of trailer and immediately knew the "non-standard" ones were needed.
After looking online, I realized that when I switched my Blue Ox from my prior trailer to the WhiteHawk, I should have had the alternate equipment for the Blue Ox. That probably explains some of the issues I had with releasing the tension. The Jayco dealer maintenance guy had never used a Blue Ox so he didn't know, I didn't realize it, and the guy I bought the Blue Ox from who had ordered the bars for me for the heavier trailer didn't know the trailer I was getting was different. Chalk one up for the learning process!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #29

Vaneta - I had the same problem with the Blue OX - I switched to a Jayco WH with that had the under slung coupler. When hitching up I could only get 6 chain links showing and it was very tight. With 6 links showing also results in more lateral movement making the sway control less effective IMHO. I then bought the Blue OX hitch head designed for under slung couplers. It changes the angle at which the spring bars point to ground. I now get proper tension with only 3 chain links showing. Blue Ox recommends 3 links.
jbnimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnimble View Post
Vaneta - I had the same problem with the Blue OX - I switched to a Jayco WH with that had the under slung coupler. When hitching up I could only get 6 chain links showing and it was very tight. With 6 links showing also results in more lateral movement making the sway control less effective IMHO. I then bought the Blue OX hitch head designed for under slung couplers. It changes the angle at which the spring bars point to ground. I now get proper tension with only 3 chain links showing. Blue Ox recommends 3 links.

That was about right for me too. I think I had six showing. Just as an informational item, we should put that info in a different thread about the "under slung coupler" (I like that term as I couldn't come up with how to describe it) I really use the relevant forum as I'm deciding or transitioning and that would have been good info. (And the dealer's set up guy should certainly be giving out that info on trailers they sell so I think an email is in order so some other customer has the info to begin with.)
Old 10-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
snip...... the "under slung coupler" (I like that term as I couldn't come up with how to describe it)
Another description found on forums is "top mounted coupler" or "bottom mounted coupler" welded to the A-frame..., but "under slung coupler" works just as well.

Jayco, like many other TT manufactures have the bottom mounted couplers (under slung) to accommodate the raised height of the TT frame due to the incorporation of "full height" slides......., a top mounted coupler in these cases could create hitch ball height challenges. Thats's my understanding.

A little off subject...., but over the years the rule of thumb was that standard round bar WDH's work better with top mounted couplers, and standard trunnion bar WDH's with bottom mounted couplers......... has to do with component clearances and range of adjustability. In remote cases the incorporation of a "riser hitch ball" (longer shank) has been a successful work around solution.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #32

My latest discovery after getting the hitch fully installed is that the safety chains are a good 9" or more too short.

Off to the hardware store tonight to get some additional 5/16" G43 chain lengths and some clevis links to splice them in.

It's been 48 hours and I've yet to be able to actually tow my trailer, LOL!

It would have been much quicker if I'd taken delivery just before the weekend. Having a job really cuts into the workday...
Old 10-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #33

You'd think with the outrageous price they charge for that system, they could include their $50 extension kit, since I would think just about everyone would need it. Heck, I think they should even throw in their $85 cover!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own the hitch, I just can't stomach shelling out that much for it.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #34

Rustic Eagle: that's great info and since one of the reasons I picked Jayco was because of the full height slide, I'll quit whining about the placement of the coupler. And I kept wondering about trunnion vs round bars. Thanks!
ecksdude: The Hensley guy told me up front I'd have to have longer chains so they didn't include that either nor the cover. Hensley was also adamant it could be self installed and I told him he didn't know who he was talking to if he thought that. I begged an RV shop to do it for me and no way I would have had the equipment nor strength to do it even if I had trusted myself. Installer had never done one either and had to read/learn it so I paid four hours labor for the install. I'd say you're doing good to get it done yourself!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #35

Vaneta, you've put your finger on it. No one in the business I've run across has ever seen either brand. But they brought a chuckle here and there, especially when I told them how much I paid. They are, IMHO, an overpriced, overly complicated and totally unnecessary PITA! Bit others may love them.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #36
Site Team

Could not agree more on the price of both Hensley and Pro Pride. They are not the same and if you are interested, read up on them. They are related but not good relations.
I know many who have both and they say that if you have a heavy TT, they are the best and worth every penny. I also know many who have installed them themselves.
I pulled a buddy's tt once a couple hundred miles and it was a pleasure compared to my old tt with a standard type WDH.

The only real complaint I hear is the rv lots do not have the ability to move them.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #37

Jayco Eagle 338RETS_Hensley Arrow, or ProPride hitch ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawasteve View Post
I also read up on the Hensley vs. Propride debate and based on what I read, I came to the conclusion that they are both great products but the company presidents used to work together and don't like each other. Once they are hitched up, there probably is no discernible difference once travelling down the road as both will eliminate sway. The Propride has an adjustable stinger and a little less money and the Hensley has been around longer and the paint holds up better. Personally, I have only used the Propride and have nothing but good things to say about it and was very happy with after purchase service.

Next time I hitch up I will take photos and post them. In the interim, if anyone would like photos, PM me with your e-mail address and I can send you pictures of install on an Eagle with the front Propane cover.
Hello, Could you help me please. Currently, I am in a difficult situation since we have a plan to buy a new trailer model 2017 Jayco Eagle 338RETS, and I thought about the Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch, or ProPride 3P Hitch - 1400. However, before purchasing this product, I’d like to make sure that this type of hitches will be compatible with our Jayco Eagle trailer, since first of all, the Jayco Eagle completed with B-style (inverted) coupler and secondly, A-frame has not enough space for the jacks’ installation, because of the gas-tank’s cover cut some space of the A-frame. Could you send to me your ProPride’ s usage experience and advices, as well as photos if possible please? My email is: LS6103@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance for your time and support. Best regards, LS.
leoshats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoshats View Post
Hello, Could you help me please. Currently, I am in a difficult situation since we have a plan to buy a new trailer model 2017 Jayco Eagle 338RETS, and I thought about the Hensley Arrow Sway Control Hitch, or ProPride 3P Hitch - 1400. However, before purchasing this product, I’d like to make sure that this type of hitches will be compatible with our Jayco Eagle trailer, since first of all, the Jayco Eagle completed with B-style (inverted) coupler and secondly, A-frame has not enough space for the jacks’ installation, because of the gas-tank’s cover cut some space of the A-frame. Could you send to me your ProPride’ s usage experience and advices, as well as photos if possible please? My email is: LS6103@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance for your time and support. Best regards, LS.
If you call the Hensley guy, he immediately looks up the kind of trailer you have and the kind of coupler. He also has you go out and measure some Heights related to your vehicle. So he will provide you The set up you need based on your equipment
Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #39

Vaneta, thank you for your prompt response. I've contacted with The Hensley staff and they said:"... inverted coupler that comes with this Jayco, so that means the jack system is the only option we would have for this trailer." So, no Hensley Mfg. Swift Arrow, or ProPride WDH with the Straptek will not compatible and work with the B-style (or inverted) coupler.
leoshats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoshats View Post
Vaneta, thank you for your prompt response. I've contacted with The Hensley staff and they said:"... inverted coupler that comes with this Jayco, so that means the jack system is the only option we would have for this trailer." So, no Hensley Mfg. Swift Arrow, or ProPride WDH with the Straptek will not compatible and work with the B-style (or inverted) coupler.
Well that is a shame but I guess you will at least save some money doing one of the others.