Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
GMC

First trip!!

We just got back from our maiden voyage!! Thanks to everybody who helped answered questions in the lead up, everything when well. The only problem we encountered was the propane system shut down. It started working again and we chocked it up to the check valve in the propane tank getting stuck after I open the tank real quick. I do have a question though, something that came up on the trip. I know you should shut the city water off if you're leaving for an extended time, but should you shut the water heater off too? My concern is that water will somehow leave the tank and it will burn up. (Propane heater). What do you guys do?

Thanks again
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

leave it running. I sometimes forget to shut of the water...actually a lot but I have a pressure regulator on that should help avoid blowouts. Do you have one?

ps. if you are on shore power you should use the electric side of the heater
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
GMC

I do have a regulator. It's a valterra 40-50 psi or something like that. I don't however have an electric option on my water heater that I know of. I'd be really surprised if I did. I'm really hesitant to leave the water on. Everything breaks down at some point, and Murphy will make sure it's right after I've left the camper for the day. If I knew for sure that water would stay in the heater tank I'd leave the heater. But right now I'm thinking maybe shut it down to be safe.

Also I have a drain that empties the fresh water tank, and two low point drain that I have to access from inside the camper. I'm pretty sure these low point drains empty the water heater tank, can anyone confirm that? I have a 154BH.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #4

What is the definition of an "extended time"? If I leave the camper for 8-12 hours I leave it on. If I was to leave my camper for 12 hours or more I'd shut everything off.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
I do have a regulator. It's a valterra 40-50 psi or something like that. I don't however have an electric option on my water heater that I know of. I'd be really surprised if I did. I'm really hesitant to leave the water on. Everything breaks down at some point, and Murphy will make sure it's right after I've left the camper for the day. If I knew for sure that water would stay in the heater tank I'd leave the heater. But right now I'm thinking maybe shut it down to be safe.

Also I have a drain that empties the fresh water tank, and two low point drain that I have to access from inside the camper. I'm pretty sure these low point drains empty the water heater tank, can anyone confirm that? I have a 154BH.

Thanks
I don't think the low point drains will empty the water heater. I expect you have an Atwood heater which will have a white plastic (nylon) plug that can be removed to drain the water heater. Opening the pressure valve will help drain the tank quicker. I empty mine to winterize or if the TT will be idle a couple of months. I'd suggest getting some spare plugs too.
Oh yeah, don't drain the tank if the water's hot , don't ask why I know that's a bad thing.
I've also removed the plug without opening a tap first to release the pressure first. Surprise!

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
GMC

I do have an Atwood heater. I guess my definition of a while would be the 8-12 hour range. The reason I ask about the low point drains was because I opened the fresh tank drain, and low point drains on the trip home. ( I also had the bypass valve open and faucets open). When I got home I opened the water heater nylon plug and the tank was empty. Didn't know if those would drain the tank or if I might have a problem. Haven't seen any leaks of any sort though.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

Any time we leave the trailer & campground, I try to shut off the water and hot water tank (if on). Doesn't really matter for how long, if for an hour or the day.

If hooked up to city water - I shot off the campground's city water faucet.
If dry camping - I shot off the pump.

This is only from a "better safe, then sorry" approach.
No other defense or justification.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #8

I found my HW tank leaking just before my last trip and just by accident I removed the wood panel on the back side of the WH heater, that panel is on the inside of the TT. It was leaking where the cold water enters the heater at the bottom fitting. Not a bad idea to check that area once in a while because with just a slow drip you could go all camping season and never know it till the damage is done. There are many water connections back there and it's scary knowing it's all covered up and out of sight.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
GMC

I know it was full when we left and the trip was only about an hour +\- so I doubt an un-noticed leak would have drained it but thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to double check all those pipes under the dinette seat.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

When only using gas for hot water we never turn on the hot water heater until 10 min before baths. When plugged in we leave on while camping but not while being stored.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #11

If I leave the campground I shut off city water & the water heater. No downside. Im glad things went well on your maiden voyage!
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote