Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
dee

First Trip 28BHBE

Well, took my first real trip in the 28BHBE(Elite +Thermal package), which I purchased new about a month ago. We are new to the RV thing. I went camping as a kid, but it was always with family friends. After seeing my kids get a little older, we decided to make the leap and get one in time for a family get together in Colorado (From Texas) this month. I have a family of 5, (kids 16,11,3). So after thinking through it, we ended up with this size of TT.

After purchasing, I towed it from the dealer 3 hours away with a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. She ran a little hot and was squatting more than i like, even with the weight distributing hitch. Scales confirms I was already at my GVWR, WITHOUT loading the trailer. I had hoped to sport some airbags and get by, but with the maiden trip being to Colorado, I thought better of it. The 1500 could lug it around on short trips, but not the mountains.

So I traded it in for a near equivalent 2500 cummins with 3.42 gears. After this trip and hitting the mountains and fighting some crosswinds in Amarillo, I am very glad I upgraded. The cummins pulled as fast as I wanted to go and was very predictable with all that torque on tap.

Before the Colorado trip, I did an overnighter at a local lake to test everything out. That went well, so we prepared for the trip to CO, which would be 5 days of boondocking. I added a 2nd group 27 battery and a Maxair 2 vent cover.

Overall, very happy with the rig. Everything worked as it should. The cummins towed it well and I was loaded down pretty good and obviously overpacked being our first endeavor. I towed at 65-70 and it felt very solid, but MPG was about 10-11. Filled her full of water in Pagosa Springs and hit the campground outside Pagosa Springs. The spot wasn't very level and had to use ALL my 2x12's and the 3/4 stall mat I cut up in 8x12 inch pieces.

I used the bumper grill. Great addition and super convenient. Cooking on it isn't the most consistent, but it does ok.

Used a 3/4" socket and dewault cordless drill on the stabilizer jacks.

Had trouble with keeping the propane going on the fridge at 7500ft. I adjusted the valve on the it and finally found a spot which it would ignite automatically vs me having to light it.

Ran my champion 3500 Inverter dual fuel generator off propane a couple hours a day to recharge the batteries. A/C wasn't needed. Heater kicked on at a 65 degree temp a couple of times at night.

We ended up spending the last night in Durango at an RV park. The hookups were so nice to have and setup was easy as pie.

Will be adding a TV. Any recommendations on a TV/Mount?

Things I would like to change:
  1. Add a 2nd Grey water tank. I ran out of this long before the freshwater was out and the black was full.
  2. Hate the control panel door. Why is it right where you can hit your head on it?
  3. Is it asking too much to put a level build in? I doubt it is very common, but seems like a common sense thing to do.
  4. Kitchen medicine cabinet will NOT stay closed. Anyone else have this issue?
  5. I added a second battery. But was shocked when it wouldn't fit. I fabbed up a wooden bracket for now, but would be nice for them to consider that in the future.
  6. Would have been nice to add a few more 12V cigarette type plugs in the trailer(like by the rear bunks).
  7. Clear documentation on what to do at elevation. Not, see your dealer crap, lol.
  8. Not impressed with the Radio. Seems it doesn't want to connect to phones very often.
  9. AC ducting for the bottom bunk.
  10. The nylon strap holding the master door keeps tearing off the screw. Anyone else seen this and have a solution?
  11. Mattress is pretty bad. We added a cheap foam topper to get by on and helped a lot.
  12. Would be nice if you could see the propane regulator without having to remove the plastic bottle covers.
  13. Wouldn't it be worth the extra $0.50 cents to label the light switches, LOL!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #2

Sounds like you had a pretty good trip. I'm new to trailers as of last season and I'm still learning something new every time we go out. Since every campsite is so different I learn better backing up techniques and leveling. I have also notice my trailer has been filling up with tons of stuff because I'm always adding things like a new game, propane fire pit due to fire bans, and a couple of more chairs. People say they pack light but how they do it is a mystery to me.

So yes the sliding doors suck! They have not ripped off the screws yet but the guide at the bottom doesn't wirk well so the door will swing. Just left on a trip going through the windy roads of the cascade mountains . When I opened the trailer the snap came off the door and it banged into the wall numerous times leaving marks and almost rippled the wall paper. So what u usually do but just forgot is I stuff that tiny pillow between the two sliding doors to put a light pressure on the straps so it doesn't wiggle around. Works good.

Mattress does suck so I bought the 3" memory foam mattress from Costco. Works great and I think it's on sale right now.

As for the batteries I can fit two on with no problem.

Propane tanks I went and spent the dough on ones that have a gauges that show me the tank level. love it so much!

Radio is terrible with the sync option because I have only connected once after many many tries.

Welcome to the trailer life!
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:25 AM   #3

First Trip 28BHBE

I too hate the control panel door! It's drawn blood from me once, with a few more near misses. Thought about trying to add a self closing hinge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #4

We love our 28BHBE and have already addressed the mattress issue with a memory foam version as many others have. The door strap hasn't been an issue in 2 years and close to 4,000 miles.

I agree 100% on the control center door. I got bit by it a few times. I haven't come up with a great solution yet but I did relocate the main light switch to under the cabinet so when you enter in the dark you don't need to open it and feel for the correct light switch.

We went with a Bose BT speaker because of the the same trouble you have with connections and also the sound quality of the speakers both inside and out isn't great.

I'm planning to add an AC vent to the lower bunk during the off season this year. Still considering my options.

I use the Levelmate Pro and Andersen Levelers. Almost completely eliminated the need for any other level.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:05 AM   #5

Glad your enjoying your 28BHBE and good call upgrading to a 2500. We are in our second season with ours and really like the floor plan.

I installed a tv with a Morryde tv mount and it works great. I believe the one in the link below is the one I used but they have others...

http://www.morryde.com/products/67-e...%2F1-tv-mounts
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
dee

Thanks all. It is so hot in texas right now, wish I was back in Colorado!!!

I'll check out the mount.

SouthCo, Any reason not to use a typical one for the home? How long of a screw can you use?

Dropnaduece,
I have two group 27 batteries. Did you just install without the battery box?

Marcm157, definitely share your work when you get to it....
dee is offline   Reply With Quote