Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

First trip in 23RB

Went 250 miles down to Tunica, MS and 250 back.

Bathroom sink trap leaked, I gave it a partial twist with my hand and the nut shattered. Drove 25 miles to find another.

Dinette storage door wouldn't stay closed. Screws were stripped on door. Moved screw a little, still need to move the other screw.

Then I noticed I had water under bathroom sink again, but no leak. Cleaned it up, put a towel down there with a bowl. Used hot water, used cold water, no leak.
Finally I find leak around where the cold water pipe 90 connects to the faucet up high behind the bowl where you can't see anything. I didn't have a small mirror so I couldn't do anything with it. It just leaks at random times which makes no sense to me, and yes I do have a pressure regulator.

2 year warranty but who wants to haul a trailer 55 miles? Especially for a random leak it would probably take me 30 minutes to re-create? Would the same guy be trying to fix it that put on my levels crooked? Don't know if I'd trust him with it.

Just a few small aggravations that I'll soon get over, but I expect a little more for $16,000.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

Pretty typical of all 3 Jaycos that we bought new. I've had several small issues with each trailer that I just fixed myself rather than leave it sit at the dealer for 3 weeks to get fixed.

Fit and finish is not a strong point of "Amish craftsmanship". But over all you have a solid trailer that will last you many years.

If the pipe is a random leak, the only thing you can do is try and get it to leak and watch it. If its a joint, you might try J-B Waterweld. If it's a seam in the pipe itself that will only get worse and will have to be replaced.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #3

FishAr,
Can you tell me what the weight of your loaded trailer is? How did the Colorado do towing it?

I am planning on buying a 2017 Colorado and then a travel trailer after that. I really like the floor plan of the 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW.
Rosebud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

I haven't weighed it loaded. Sticker says 4438 empty. Dealer put a full load of water in it so that's another 400 pounds +/-. 60 pounds of propane. Wife really loaded the trailer up with stuff so I'll guess 500 pounds there including the chill n store and the portable grill I put in there and the wd hitch.

That seems to add up to 5398 pounds. I was going to guess 5500..

Had a large cooler full of ice and all my golf stuff in the back of the colorado plus a floor jack that probably weighs 50 pounds.

Colorado pulled it ok, didn't experience any trouble. Only got 10.5 mpg though which was disappointing. I got 13 pulling a similar trailer with my 2013 silverado ltz 4x4. If I was getting a trailer any bigger than I have now I'd force myself to trade up to a silverado with 3.42 gears.

The new duramax colorado looks promising with 7700 pound towing capacity and 369 ft pounds torque, but by the time you put some stuff on it it's over 40 grand.

I never went over 65 mpg. I also had to watch my tach, I would hang at 4000 rpm when I could let off the accelerator just a little and drop the rpm to 3 grand and keep the same speed.

I would say if you're doing a lot of empty driving and a little towing the colorado is fine. If you're doing a lot of towing and a little driving then get something bigger.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
Only got 10.5 mpg though which was disappointing. I got 13 pulling a similar trailer with my 2013 silverado ltz 4x4.
Actually I'd say that 10.5 isn't bad all things considered. Less power usually translates to lower mileage with the same trailer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

Found a basin wrench and tightened the nuts to cold and hot on the bathroom sink. Left the water on all day with a pan underneath the old leak, then got bold and left the water on all night.

No leaks this morning. Going to keep the basin wrench in my tool kit I take camping. Also going to keep the tupperware pan under the sink in there in case it loosens itself back up again while we're camping.
Still haven't fixed the other loose screw in the dinette under seat storage. Maybe today.

My only other disappointment is the 74 inch bed is kind of short for me. Also I feel my wife is going to want bigger when she gets around to going with me, maybe next week.
So although I can't trade yet since I've only had it a few months, I'm thinking I need something with a slide and an 80 inch bed, and I also want fiberglass.
Can't trade the colorado yet either, only had it since February.

Actually I could trade both, but I don't want to take that kind of a hit.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Actually I'd say that 10.5 isn't bad all things considered. Less power usually translates to lower mileage with the same trailer.
Not bad, but it's a trade off. Driving Colorado back and forth to golf course and not much else. Getting 24 mpg. Only put 5000 miles on it since February. I go to Florida this winter and that's 2,000 miles right there. Put 500 on it going to Tunica.

Wife wants to go visit sister in Oregon, see Yellowstone also, that's probably 4000 miles or more.
I'd save money in gas by still having a silverado. Plus my big lab would be happier in the back seat.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #8

Also, mirrors.

The mirrors on the colorado are inadequate for towing. I had to buy some clip ons and they aren't great even though I paid $80 for them. I don't think GM has any plans on towing mirrors for the colorado. Normal silverado mirrors aren't really adequate for towing an 8 ft wide trailer and the colorado is 6 inches narrower than the silverado.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAr View Post
Colorado pulled it ok, didn't experience any trouble. Only got 10.5 mpg though which was disappointing. I got 13 pulling a similar trailer with my 2013 silverado ltz 4x4. If I was getting a trailer any bigger than I have now I'd force myself to trade up to a silverado with 3.42 gears.

The new duramax colorado looks promising with 7700 pound towing capacity and 369 ft pounds torque, but by the time you put some stuff on it it's over 40 grand.

I would say if you're doing a lot of empty driving and a little towing the colorado is fine. If you're doing a lot of towing and a little driving then get something bigger.
Much of the decision to get a TT is for traveling with my dogs. Motels that take dogs are either too dirty and smelly or very pricey. I'm not a germaphobe, but I'd also rather have my own clean bed to sleep in.

I'll be retiring in a year or two and moving from the Southwest to the East Coast. I want to visit friends and do some sightseeing out west before I move. I'll probably park for a month and sightsee in the truck, then move on to another location. Once I'm back east I'll use the trailer for visiting family here and there. Once I'm resettled I'll probably use the trailer every 2 months or so.

The other trailer I am considering is the Forest River Rockwood Mini-lite 2104s, which is about 1000# lighter than the Jayco, but I am a little worried about the quality of the mini-lite.

I really would rather not go the diesel route. And as you said, I'd be looking at over $40K for the truck. I've looked at the Silverados online and was surprised to see that the V6 has a tow rating of 6500 and the extra tow pkg is only available for the V8s. I'm driving a '97 Ford Explorer and only getting 16 mpg with daily driving. Plus those Silverados are so dang big!
Rosebud3 is offline   Reply With Quote