Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #1

First weekend with 2016 28 DSBH White Hawk

Hello fellow campers,

Just wanted to share my first experiences with our new TT. We picked up a 2016 28 DSBH White Hawk from camping world 2 weeks ago. My truck need some work so we couldn't take it out right away. Well, this weekend we could so we packed her up and took her about 3 1/2 hours away for the weekend. This was our first time EVER with a TT. I've been browsing the forums here and youtube for the last 2 weeks learning as much as I can. I bought the Hughes autoformer for power protection since a lot of people recommend it. The site had full hookups so it made things very easy.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: The trailer looks amazing. I really like the outside colors. It tows really really well. I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with tow package. Besides getting the worlds worst gas mileage, it towed great. I have the WDH if anyone is curious. The inside of the camper is the "Coffee" decor. It looks great. The countertop is nice and big and the single large sink was perfect. The bed is nice, the bunks are huge and my kids loved them. They loved having their own power, light and shelf in the their bunk. The fridge got nice and cold in just a few hours, I've heard people say it takes 24 hours, but ours seemed to only take a fraction of that. The hot water also was great, we all(family of 5) took hot showers daily and never ran out of hot water.

THE PROBLEMS: The only thing that didn't work was the remote to the dvd player. Also on Saturday the AC stopped blowing cold and it started dripping water into the camper. I got a little freaked out to say the least. I checked the level and the TT was a little front high. I noticed the front left gutter had stopped dripping water from the AC unit. I re-leveled and water started flowing down the gutter again. We also had a couple chunks of ice fall through the AC unit. We decided to turn everything off and go fishing for few hours and let it all thaw out. When we got back we turned the AC back on and it blew cold again. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem or if ours is just extremely easy to ice up or really picky about level. We were only just barely nose high. Another thing was the stove, they didn't connect the back burner, but it was easy to fix. The panel, well they wired the grey tanks backwards I think. Grey 2 is the kitchen sink and grey 1 is the bathroom sink/shower. I'm not sure if this is normal but seems backwards to me. Also, camping world sucks at getting a camper ready to be honest. Our tires were all way low. Like 40, 43, 46, and 42. Just dumb. Our walkthrough was 15 minutes since they were rushing because they were closing, well now I see just how dangerous that was since they didn't teach us anything other than how to operate the slideout and awning. Almost everything negative I have to say is about camping world and their terrible buying experience. Oh and its obvious Jayco put the TT together as fast as possible, you can see it in little things like them splitting wood with screws in a couple places and not aligning the cabinets doors. Some wood putty and a little patience fixed it though.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I'm really glad I spent hours watching how to videos. I spent about 20 minutes cleaning out the tanks on Sunday and feel confident I got them nice and clean. If I had not learned how to do it properly there would still be nasty stuff in the black tank for sure. The only things I have bought so far is the autoformer, a sewer hose slinky thing and a water filter. I think i'll get the stabalizer chalks that go between the axles though, my kids really got the TT moving at night and it was really annoying.

Well that sums up my rambling. If you have any questions about the 2016 model let me know. I don't think i've ever been happier with a product than this TT. I can't wait to go out more when it's not 95 degrees like it is now.
Bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #2

Awesome......I just bought the 2015 and have our first trip this weekend. A 15 minute walk thru??? Holy cow that is absurd......our was 2 hours at least. Congrats on the new rig.
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

We have a 2014. Have never had any issue with water coming in from the AC. Someone else might be able to comment on this, but it sounds like perhaps a leak around the AC unit from the roof? I would hope being a little off-level wouldn't cause this.

Too bad about the "rush-thru" you had. My grey indicators are also "backwards".

We also enjoy our 28DSBH. It's a great layout for our family of 4 (plus dog).

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

You might remove the interior grill for the air conditioner and check to make sure the mounting bolts are tight. Mine were very loose and one was almost completely out. We had issues with it icing up one camping trip. I have since tightened all the bolts and have not had any icing issues. Not sure if they are connected or just coincidental.

Congrats on the new TT and welcome to the JOF and the Jayco family.

Happy Camping

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #5

If there was some ice coming off the evaporator then the AC was freezing up. How low did you have the thermostat set and what were the outdoor temps?

Stinks that your fit and finish weren't up to par....... I am extremely picky and never really found anything I wasn't happy about other than my slide not being centered in the opening properly. I will say I have been in some friends camper that was brand new (not a Jayco) and I noticed a ton of finish issues that would have drove me nuts.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

Congrats and welcome from the Rocky Mountains

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
If there was some ice coming off the evaporator then the AC was freezing up. How low did you have the thermostat set and what were the outdoor temps?

Stinks that your fit and finish weren't up to par....... I am extremely picky and never really found anything I wasn't happy about other than my slide not being centered in the opening properly. I will say I have been in some friends camper that was brand new (not a Jayco) and I noticed a ton of finish issues that would have drove me nuts.
I had the thermostat on 75. Outside temps were in the low 90s, it was fairly humid. Had it running all day and about 2pm I noticed it stopped blowing cold.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCraig View Post
You might remove the interior grill for the air conditioner and check to make sure the mounting bolts are tight. Mine were very loose and one was almost completely out. We had issues with it icing up one camping trip. I have since tightened all the bolts and have not had any icing issues. Not sure if they are connected or just coincidental.

Congrats on the new TT and welcome to the JOF and the Jayco family.

Happy Camping
I'll look into that, didn't know you could take it apart that easily. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #9

Congrats! We love our 2014 DSBH too!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Congrats on new rig
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Make sure that you keep the a/c fan on high at all times. Reduced airflow with high humidity is a cause of evaporator icing.
Happy Camping.
Nice rig and welcome from the BC Interior
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #12

The bolts that hold the AC to the roof should not be tight. If you tighten them too much they will compress the foam seal too much and could develop a leak that way as well. Check your manual for a tightening spec or google it.....

Congrats on the new trailer and I certainly relate with the cabinetry being below par.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #13

I ordered same unit and weight was 6200lbs dry. Now I am concerned to purchase since I have a 2007 Silverado with a 7600lb tow rating.
gradertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #14

You shouldn't have to work on something that costs that much new and has a 2 year warranty. I'd take it back and demand everything be fixed to your satisfaction.
I love that floorplan, it's identical to a keystone my wife fell in love with. Problem was it's too heavy for my 2015 colorado to pull, I think I'm right on the edge with the 23RB I bought.
If I still had my silverado I'm sure the wife would have talked me into that keystone.
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:14 AM   #15

What does your trailer weigh? Tow rating on your truck?
gradertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #16

I would take it back for the ac that's for sure. We got a 2015 white hawk and it's real warm here in San Antonio I had it running the past couple days in the driveway no trouble yet. Fixing to go out tomorrow. Camping world lost me as a customer too. I walked inside outside in trailers all over and no one came to see if I needed something. We'll I left and stopped at a local rv place and barely got in the first camper and had someone there. Now some sales people can be annoying but mire are great. So I emailed cw and told them they lost 30,000.00. I'm sure they are worried. Good for you on the tt we love ours still real new to it but sure can be fun.
crehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzle View Post
Hello fellow campers,
Our walkthrough was 15 minutes since they were rushing because they were closing, well now I see just how dangerous that was since they didn't teach us anything other than how to operate the slideout and awning.
We bought from CW as well. Our buying experience was fine but our walkthrough [PDI] was around 30 minutes because we both knew more about our unit than the tech or whoever he was.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote