Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Fit and Finish

I spent a few hours yesterday thoroughly going through the two Jay Flight models on our list and decided on the 27RLS. We owned a Jayco Granite Ridge in the past and although the fit and finish was not at the level of our next coach (Monaco) it was perfectly acceptable and I felt like there was good attention to detail.

I was a bit disappointed yesterday in the units I looked at in terms of fit and finish. Lots of visible countersunk screw heads in trim pieces. The worst to me were the ones in the ceiling where there is a big piece of wood surrounding the light fixture. Plenty of crooked trim, bad caulking/putty (where there was any). Lots of sawdust and shavings in various locations. Inside the bathroom storage unit had some very rough cut holes (some kind of piping coming through, can't recall) in the wall. Tons of sawdust, damaged wallboard and zero insulation in that area that appeared to be exposed directly to the outer skin. Lots of crooked outlet plates throughout the trailer.

I really like the rear lounge floor plan, but those rockers seem problematic. They are either too large for the space or not located properly. Sitting in them, they basically press into the window screen or damage the lambrequin trim around the windows (there were already rub marks/tears). Jayco will not give a delete credit for the chairs, so we will sell them on Craigslist and get something more comfortable and better scale.

We are special ordering a unit and most likely not from the dealer we were at yesterday. Are most of the items I saw things the dealer should have touched up? Or, are these things we are going to need to take care of ourselves?
FLGatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Team

I can only add that my trailer was not in that condition when I picked it up. The fit and finish was excellent for a Jayflight price point unit. But I purchased in 2009 during the financial crisis, one of the slowest years on record for the RV industry, so I suspect there was no rush then to get orders filled then.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

I have had two trailers, one used, one new. Both in excellent condition. I have a good dealer.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #4

I think the quality of the dealer has a lot to do with it. We special ordered our TT and went up to the dealer to go through it, and get the paperwork required for the DMV, the day after they got it from the factory. It was filthy inside and out, and we noticed and pointed out a few things (split trim, scratches, etc.) that we didn't think were acceptable. I don't know if the dealer would have caught everything when they prepped the TT for delivery, but everything was corrected and it had been cleaned thoroughly, when we went back the next week to take delivery.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #5

The continuous emphasis on the dealer's prep doesn't sit well with me. If the manufacturer is sending units out with visible boils, what's behind the skin?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #6

Cekkk,
I agree, I think the units should leave the factory ready to go with the exception of being cleaned on the outside from the trip to the dealer. Unfortunately, that just does not seem to be the case.
FLGatorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:55 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Cekkk,
I agree, I think the units should leave the factory ready to go with the exception of being cleaned on the outside from the trip to the dealer. Unfortunately, that just does not seem to be the case.

I certainly agree with that. There is no reason that the mfg delivers a unit to the dealer full with construction savings and poor wiring and plumbing practices. No wonder why some RV's go up in smoke. It took me a day to do all the wiring where needed with insulating material and tie-rips. I think mfg's just get away with it and if you also have a sales orientated dealer you're in for something. There is that kind of attitude "Live With It". Where is the pride in workmanship?
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Site Team

I also agree there should be a QC check before each unit leaves the factory, and a final inspection by the dealer. It would seem to me that would save possible future warranty claims and increase the customer satisfaction rate as well as value of the brand. The factory inspector would also know what and who needs addressing on the line if they see problem trends.....

I have read that many manufacturers just pull a unit aside now and then to do a QC check, but that`s just hearsay I do not know that to be fact.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Site Team

I believe part of the problem is that if there is a QC inspector that looks over the TT prior to being shipped, they tend to not see a lot of things the longer they are on the job.

What should be done is a RANDOM QC inspection after the initial QC inspector gave the seal of approval on the TT. The team of inspectors should be made up of individuals that are not part of the construction/QC process, or employed by JAYCO and actually have to purchase TT's of their own. Like REAL campers.

This way, the regular inspector would not know when or which TTs would be selected for the RANDOM inspection. His/Hers performance review would based on the results, which would have an impact on the yearly income or early retirement.

Bring in the team and let them loose on the TT's that are outside the plant and waiting to be shipped.

Just my thoughts,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote