Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

In another thread someone said that Jayco has a warranty fix for the bed support issue. Supposedly you have to ask to have it warrantied but once you do they will fix it. I don't know if it's true but worth the asking.

By the way: My dealer said that Jayco has a pre-approved warranty fix for water siphoning out of the FW tanks when you travel. The dealer doesn't even have to call to get authorization. Again, you have to ask for it or it doesn't exist.

Dale

fdhealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #12

I did the same as it appears Mustang65 and others have done - added a panel across the back of the opening to separate the under bed storage from the outside cross storage area. It sits up tight against the bed supports so provides added support for the bed frame. I also found one of my bed supports not glued well to the plywood and had to glue it again and put a few screws in it. We added a foam topper to our Denver mattress and it was hard to lift and hold without it so I added a pole support on a hinge to the underside of the bed to hold it up but still have to lift it.

Mustang65 - can you provide details on the linear actuator? I've been considering the hydraulic bed lift assists but this looks like a potentially better alternative.

suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #13

I found one of the 3 support boards under my plywood wasn't glued and was pulling the screws through the 3/8" plywood. I removed the support board, glued it and then added washers with a countersink on them to prevent the screws from being pulled through the plywood and also not catching the mattress. I then added the same washers to the other 2 support boards and then added 2 additional 2x2 support boards that were longer and thus prevented the head and foot of the bed from sagging so much. Wife says it's much better now.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post

Mustang65 - can you provide details on the linear actuator? I've been considering the hydraulic bed lift assists but this looks like a potentially better alternative.
Your wish is my command...

You will need 4 measurements:
- the distance between the bed board and the floor in the closed position and open position
- the length of the linear actuator extended and compressed position.

Insert spacers where and if needed.

I also bolted a metal plate (12x18x1/4") to the top of the bed board, above the actuator for support. The bolts go through the plate to the actuator.

NEWS FLASH: Sorry the switch did not come with the unit.. I will look up the switch and post it here.

I can not locate my invoice for the switch, but it is a DPDT / (On) - Off - (On) type.

Do NOT purchase the 16" model, it will not fit under the bed when closed.

Copied from an earlier post of mine...
Don
Attached Thumbnails
BED - WINDYNATION 12 Inch 12inch Stroke Linear Actuator.jpg  
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #15

Thanks. After seeing yours I had looked at several on Amazon and this model may have been one of them. Looks fairly straightforward to hook up and add a remote switch..thx!
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #16

All these "lack of bed support" issues and tons of creative solutions. You would think Jayco would pay attention and incorporate them into the design. I'm betting alot of people would pay a few extra bucks for 'em. I sure would and that electronic lifter for the bed is pure genius!
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
All these "lack of bed support" issues and tons of creative solutions. You would think Jayco would pay attention and incorporate them into the design. I'm betting alot of people would pay a few extra bucks for 'em. I sure would and that electronic lifter for the bed is pure genius!
We are constantly lifting the bed (all my electronic hobby parts are under the bed)... now DW can do it herself. That 4" topper makes it real heavy to lift. I have done business with WindyNation and they are a GREAT company to order from.

Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album http://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Here is what I did. I went to Home Depot/Lowes and purchased some 1 1/2" x 1/4" aluminum strips and mounted them on the support 2x2 supports under the bed. Worked for us.

Don
I had my centre 2"x2" crack right in the middle of the bed due to a knot in the wood. I braced it in a very similar fashion to your example, and the bed no longer sags in the middle.
whatimmadoboutmylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #19

These beds are designed to be slept on by the average person, and that's about it. But the actual use they see is people larger than average, kids jumping on grannie's bed, owners sometimes loading heavy bags and suitcases on the bed during travel, etc . So, they aren't necessarily designed defectively. But they are light duty for sure. The previous owner of my Seneca ran into that problem, and he built a light plywood wall halfway between the head and foot of the bed, across the middle. Has a doug fir stiffener top and bottom, and just the same height as the sides. So, it supports the plywood bed base all across the opening. Still store stuff in there the same way, just not very long items like fishing rods, etc. Works like a champ.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
These beds are designed to be slept on by the average person, and that's about it....

Thanks alot. Now I feel fat.

2002 Coleman Bayside Elite (traded)
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote