Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #21

A broken 2x2 was one of the only two problems we encountered within our warranty period. Ours broke one of the first times we raised the platform. CW agreed to fix our two problems when winter approached and business slowed. We hadn't purchased the TT from them. Months later we took it in and the service manager said those break all the time. From reading this thread, it looks as though he was right.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
Thanks alot. Now I feel fat.
Haha!! Hey, I resemble that remark.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Haha!! Hey, I resemble that remark.
You and me both!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #24

Lol!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #25

So, I'm thinking Jayco could be pressed hard enough to offer "The Big Dog Option" on the main bed in their RV offering. Marketing-wise, it sounds better than "The Fat Guy Option"..... Or "Beer Gut Compensation Option". Or "Girth Counterbalance Option". "Dead Weight Redistribution System".

"Forward Articulating Trapeze System" FATS for short.

Somebody please stop me. . .
Old 08-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecksdude View Post
The bed platform in our Eagle appears to be 3/8" plywood with three 2x2 boards run lengthwise to add some small amount of stability.

Needless to say, this is not a terribly stable platform, and I discovered the other day that one of the 2x2 boards had a large crack in the middle, and it was that way before I got the trailer from the dealer, hence 3 screws that were drilled from the plywood into the stabilizer board, while everything else is attached with staples. I was pretty annoyed to find this.

Last night I put another 2x2 board alongside the cracked one and glued and screwed it in place as a "bandaid" for our upcoming trip, but long term this needs to be re-designed.

Wondering what other folks have done?

I don't really want to replace the plywood with 3/4", as that would add a lot of weight. How have other folks braced the bed platform to make it more solid? Interested in ideas.
All you have to do is buy a 2x2 or 2x3 piece of angle and bolt it into the plywood and it will solve your bed problems.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #27

Wow! This thread took on a life of it's own!

I will definitely be looking into the actuator when we get back from our next trip. I'm also going to beef up the bracing as suggested in earlier posts.

Hopefully it will survive two weeks of use until then, otherwise I'll be fixing it 'on the road'...
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:35 PM   #28

Quote:
So, I'm thinking Jayco could be pressed hard enough to offer "The Big Dog Option" on the main bed in their RV offering. Marketing-wise, it sounds better than "The Fat Guy Option"..... Or "Beer Gut Compensation Option". Or "Girth Counterbalance Option". "Dead Weight Redistribution System".

Now that is funny. We broke our bed...not complaining about it though.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Hopefully it will survive two weeks of use until then, otherwise I'll be fixing it 'on the road'...
Measure the difference between the bottom of the bed board and the floor and go to Home Depot or Lowes... while on the road and have them cut a 2x4 a little longer than your measurement and stand it up under the bed.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #30

Quote:

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #31

Quote:
The bed platform in our Eagle appears to be 3/8" plywood with three 2x2 boards run lengthwise to add some small amount of stability.

Needless to say, this is not a terribly stable platform, and I discovered the other day that one of the 2x2 boards had a large crack in the middle, and it was that way before I got the trailer from the dealer, hence 3 screws that were drilled from the plywood into the stabilizer board, while everything else is attached with staples. I was pretty annoyed to find this.

Last night I put another 2x2 board alongside the cracked one and glued and screwed it in place as a "bandaid" for our upcoming trip, but long term this needs to be re-designed.

Wondering what other folks have done?
I don't really want to replace the plywood with 3/4", as that would add a lot of weight. How have other folks braced the bed platform to make it more solid? Interested in ideas.
My Two Cents
Recently purchased a 33RLDS and when my head was in the front storage compartment my wife was on top of the mattress placing some stuff in the cabinet above. I noticed the plywood and the 2x2 having a lot of flex !!! So I bent 1/2" conduit into a U shape and bolted it to the end of the outside 2x2s, which went to the floor for support. Then I bent another 1/2" piece and placed it across the three 2x2s and screwed it to the first piece of conduit (Does not flex any more). Lifts with bed and only takes a little space in compartment.
Also I stapled a 7' x 7' two-toned silky beach blanket made from parachute material, that I had, ( www.sunnysbeachshop.com ) over the plywood ( all staples are on the bottom of the plywood )to protect the mattress from any future splinters and issues. Photos below, hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
20160908_095121.jpg   20160908_095141.jpg  
Whistler61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #32

We got a bunky board

We went to the furniture store and got a bunky board. It is designed to bunk beds but does the job.
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Don't you guys like squeaky RV beds (standard in the RV industry) that's for entertainment of the CG's. Have been hosting campgrounds in the past and entertainment enough during the night. And the strange sounds coming from tents. They could make a horror movie in CG
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArvdaJayco View Post
We went to the furniture store and got a bunky board. It is designed to bunk beds but does the job.
Just curious, what did you do with the board?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Just curious, what did you do with the board?
Well first just on top of the existing platform. It kept the bow out of the plywood.

THEN.. My wife want to close off the storage area and make it easier to use the space under the bed. so I got from 2x4 and built side frames leaving the end open. I moved the paneling from the end up tot he head of the opening and stained the 2x4 to match the floor.

I left the plywood platform and bunky board over that for support. It is rock solid and does not squeak.
ArvdaJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler61 View Post
My Two Cents
Recently purchased a 33RLDS and when my head was in the front storage compartment my wife was on top of the mattress placing some stuff in the cabinet above. I noticed the plywood and the 2x2 having a lot of flex !!! So I bent 1/2" conduit into a U shape and bolted it to the end of the outside 2x2s, which went to the floor for support. Then I bent another 1/2" piece and placed it across the three 2x2s and screwed it to the first piece of conduit (Does not flex any more). Lifts with bed and only takes a little space in compartment.
Also I stapled a 7' x 7' two-toned silky beach blanket made from parachute material, that I had, ( www.sunnysbeachshop.com ) over the plywood ( all staples are on the bottom of the plywood )to protect the mattress from any future splinters and issues. Photos below, hope this helps.
Nice job!!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #37

If your bed runs north and south - then you need to replace the bracing under the plywood with the braces that run east and west! Thats what I had to do for ours. It was collapsing in the middle before I repaired it in this manner. I would love to know which planet the engineer was from that designed that catastrophe!
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Don't you guys like squeaky RV beds (standard in the RV industry) that's for entertainment of the CG's. Have been hosting campgrounds in the past and entertainment enough during the night. And the strange sounds coming from tents. They could make a horror movie in CG
X-chocks for the win... we still tow our daughter along with us so I don't plan on see-sawing the camper around, but rumor has it their are 'fixes' for such problems?
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote