Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

FM Antenna?

We just took out our new to us trailer for the first time this weekend. Our dvd/surround/fm/am player has a port for a fm hookup on it but i cannot find the cord that is for the external antenna on the outside. It was hooked up to a antenna that is like what you get if you get a stereo for your home, but it would get crummy reception unless it was hanging from the cabniet. Does any one know where the hook up for the external antenna should be at? Thanks
Nick
snipershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #2

The hookup for my antenna in my 5er runs through a regular coax jack. In fact i had to repair my connection as it was broken when i bought my unit. I picked up the part (UHF Transformer) from walmart in the isle in electronics where the coax cables/tv antennas are.

Here is the link for the part.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-AV93202-Coa.../dp/B00009UHA3

Basically screw that piece on the coax cable and run the other ends to the FM antenna jack on the back of the reciever.

Josh
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #3

What camper do you have? Do you have the FM antenna on top of your trailer? If you have an FM antenna, tt has a spring base and is about 2 feet tall (separate from the crank up TV antenna). There should be an antenna connector behind the place your stock radio was located. It has a standard car antenna connector on it, but you can get adapters to convert to just about anything.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
What camper do you have? Do you have the FM antenna on top of your trailer? If you have an FM antenna, tt has a spring base and is about 2 feet tall (separate from the crank up TV antenna). There should be an antenna connector behind the place your stock radio was located. It has a standard car antenna connector on it, but you can get adapters to convert to just about anything.
im sorry my signature didnt edit yet. i have a 06 29bhs. the connectors that i have in the trailer in the media center are the 12? wires for the surround, and a coax cable. i thought that the cable was for the tv connection? now im confused. where is the cable hookup for the tv? is it only in the master bedroom? if so how can i get the cable hooked up to the living room tv? i already have a switch for the antenna and what i thought was the landline cable connection? thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #5

Ok - I am confused too...I thought you were asking about the FM Radio antenna? I dont think too much has changed on that unit since 06, so hopefully what I am saying below is correct.

You should have two antennas - one for the TV and one for the radio. Both of them should come in around the area above the dinette. The FM Radio antenna should go into the back of the radio. The TV antenna should come into a white plate that has also cigarette lighter plug and a small black button/red LED (for the amp). From there the antenna wire also goes back to the outlet in the bedroom.

If you are trying to get TV reception, you just need a small piece of coax to go between the wall plate and your TV. Make sure the red light is on or you wont pick up much of anything.

Do you see the plate I am talking about? I think in that camper it is above the dinette toward the entry door.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #6

yes i do have that hooked up. but there was another wire that had a connector that looks like a guitar plug in but it had a adaptor on it that was for a coax, so i assumed that it was for the cable to plug in to get channels if the campground had cable. is that the fm antenna hookup?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #7

In my 5er i have a grey color coax cable that comes out of the wall that i plug the adapter into, i also have a coax jack on the 12v plate for the antenna power (which is for tv) the grey coax cable that goes into the wall is what is the FM antenna in my model. There is a barrrel looking adapter (link in my post above) that screws on the end of the cable and connects to the back of the surround sound reciever. the back of the reciever has two connectors almost looks like a speaker connector that you push the wires in.

Your trailer may be different than my 5er, this is just my 2 cents.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhsv04 View Post
In my 5er i have a grey color coax cable that comes out of the wall that i plug the adapter into, i also have a coax jack on the 12v plate for the antenna power (which is for tv) the grey coax cable that goes into the wall is what is the FM antenna in my model. There is a barrrel looking adapter (link in my post above) that screws on the end of the cable and connects to the back of the surround sound reciever. the back of the reciever has two connectors almost looks like a speaker connector that you push the wires in.

Your trailer may be different than my 5er, this is just my 2 cents.
that sounds exactly like what i have, i guess ill need to go get that adaptor for the fm to work, thank you very much. i have one more question then, where do you hook up the tv to get cable? theres a input in the rear of my trailer, but i dont know where the out put is on the inside. Any ideas?
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #9

Can you take a picture of it? I think that would help clear it up.

As far as the outside connector, normally it comes from the same plug. You just turn off the amp and the outside cable will work.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #10

i will the next time im at the storage, its a bit of a drive, but ill try and look on the internet to find a picture
Old 03-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipershot View Post
that sounds exactly like what i have, i guess ill need to go get that adaptor for the fm to work, thank you very much. i have one more question then, where do you hook up the tv to get cable? theres a input in the rear of my trailer, but i dont know where the out put is on the inside. Any ideas?

The cable TV hookup shares the same hookup as the TV Antenna (Which should be on your 12V jack with a power button for the antenna) the only difference is when you hook up cable TV you don't turn the Antenna Power on. The cable TV jack will feed all cable jacks in your unit (if you have a TV jack in the bedroom as well it will work off the same concept.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #12

Just wanted to jump in and say welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum SniperShot!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #13

Thank you all for your help