Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #41

A lot of times the vehicle manufacturers will publish payloads for trucks in their bare bones, borderline useless configurations for marketing purposes. If you got your payload number from a chart or website, it's probably not accurate. You must reference the sticker inside the driver's door. I have a hard time believing that your truck weighs only 4800lbs empty. That being said, you're right - it will pull just about anything. Just about. Keep in mind that your hitch has limitations as well (not to mention rear axle) so you want to keep that stuff in mind when considering massive trailers like the 32BHDS. Half tons generally run into payload and hitch and rear axle limits first.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #42

I have a 2012 F150 with EcoBoost and it has no problem at all pulling my 2012 Jay flight swift 26th. The only thing I have found is with my truck I need to use an equalizer hitch.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #43

Thanks SkyBound. The weights I mention are from the door sticker. The curb weight is not listed there. It's on the registration. I still plan on having it weighed, but yes, it's an unbelievable truck. I've had it a couple weeks and I am amazed at the performance, fit, style, ride, etc...

(I get a kick out of all the blogs out there that have people posting negative stuff about the new 150. They obviously have not driven one nor likely have even seen one.)

The payload in my 150 is 2170lbs. I think I'll be ok with the hitch weight and passengers but I also plan on measuring the tongue weight once I have the trailer configured.

Would it pull better with a 250? For sure. Am I anxious? You bet. That's why I appreciate all the feedback I can get. My concern is in fact if the truck is too light. A strong cross breeze might be a challenge. I'll let you know. It's easy enough to upgrade the TV.
Rockford James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford James View Post
Thanks SkyBound. The weights I mention are from the door sticker. The curb weight is not listed there. It's on the registration. I still plan on having it weighed, but yes, it's an unbelievable truck. I've had it a couple weeks and I am amazed at the performance, fit, style, ride, etc...

(I get a kick out of all the blogs out there that have people posting negative stuff about the new 150. They obviously have not driven one nor likely have even seen one.)

The payload in my 150 is 2170lbs. I think I'll be ok with the hitch weight and passengers but I also plan on measuring the tongue weight once I have the trailer configured.

Would it pull better with a 250? For sure. Am I anxious? You bet. That's why I appreciate all the feedback I can get. My concern is in fact if the truck is too light. A strong cross breeze might be a challenge. I'll let you know. It's easy enough to upgrade the TV.
I personally don't think you would be better off with a 250, a Ram 2500/3500, yes but the Super Duty frames are lacking in strength. Before anyway flames me, I know personally as I had an F350 SD for 5yrs prior to my '14 F150 and I can say without a doubt my F150 handles a load better, obviously to a point. The heavier running gear of the SD will hold up better over time but for weekend warriors F150s are awesome trucks.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #45

I just purchased at 2015 F-150 with Ecoboost, sweet truck, but the manufacturer is very deceptive with payload capacity. Advertised payload for my 5.5 bed 4X4 Lariat SuperCrew is 2,020, but the yellow sticker in the door says 1,578...big difference! Be careful.
kobeskurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:51 AM   #46

I've worked at a Ford dealer for 27 years. All I have to say is, upgrade to a Super Duty if possible. If you're towing less than..let's say..10,000 lbs. (give or take), go with the GAS engine. (6.2L 385hp & 405 lb.ft. of torque). They are never in the shop and the cost is GREATLY lower to maintain than a diesel. I don't trust the new diesels..YET. They have some proving to do before I'd make that venture. After all, in the last 12 years, Ford has had 4 different diesels. (Up to 2002.5 7.3L, then the 6.0L, then the 6.4L, now the 6.7L). The new 6.2L gas engines have a tow rate of 12,000 lbs. TT and 5th. I would never bury it to those extremes but honestly, they could handle that...and more. The tow capacities are just "recommended"capacities and not set in stone. You can put upgrades on these vehicles to do alot more than Ford says. Been there..done it. As far as the F150. The EcoBoost is a great engine..while it's still in warranty. They have great torque and hp. Great for towing. Let's face it people, Fords were built for this. Always have been. Ford ran an EcoBoost loaded with 12,000 lbs. full buried throttle for 24 hrs. straight at a racetrack...no problems. Stopping only for fuel. Turbos were glowing red! You can search for this video on Ford's site or YouTube. What I'm getting at is..the new F150 will tow your trailer..no problems. Remember...TORQUE is key. You can have 800hp but without the torque..it's nothing but a fast truck. 3.73 gears are an overall better choice. 4.30's are available but, your gas mileage suffers greatly. Especially, if your tow vehicle is also your daily driver.

As far as Super Duty frames lacking in strength. I truly doubt that. I've worked on all makes and models. Ford frames are superior to ANY other manufacturer in every way. I guarantee my life on it. You can Google this and check for yourself. Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan...they can't compete. We had a display here at work of all the different manufacturers frames cross-cut. Not even worth comparing. Ford kills it in this catagory.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #47

Hi Kobeskurt,

Thanks for replying. Do you have the Max Tow and HD Payload package?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:08 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I've worked at a Ford dealer for 27 years. All I have to say is, upgrade to a Super Duty if possible. If you're towing less than..let's say..10,000 lbs. (give or take), go with the GAS engine. (6.2L 385hp & 405 lb.ft. of torque). They are never in the shop and the cost is GREATLY lower to maintain than a diesel. I don't trust the new diesels..YET. They have some proving to do before I'd make that venture. After all, in the last 12 years, Ford has had 4 different diesels. (Up to 2002.5 7.3L, then the 6.0L, then the 6.4L, now the 6.7L). The new 6.2L gas engines have a tow rate of 12,000 lbs. TT and 5th. I would never bury it to those extremes but honestly, they could handle that...and more. The tow capacities are just "recommended"capacities and not set in stone. You can put upgrades on these vehicles to do alot more than Ford says. Been there..done it. As far as the F150. The EcoBoost is a great engine..while it's still in warranty. They have great torque and hp. Great for towing. Let's face it people, Fords were built for this. Always have been. Ford ran an EcoBoost loaded with 12,000 lbs. full buried throttle for 24 hrs. straight at a racetrack...no problems. Stopping only for fuel. Turbos were glowing red! You can search for this video on Ford's site or YouTube. What I'm getting at is..the new F150 will tow your trailer..no problems. Remember...TORQUE is key. You can have 800hp but without the torque..it's nothing but a fast truck. 3.73 gears are an overall better choice. 4.30's are available but, your gas mileage suffers greatly. Especially, if your tow vehicle is also your daily driver.

As far as Super Duty frames lacking in strength. I truly doubt that. I've worked on all makes and models. Ford frames are superior to ANY other manufacturer in every way. I guarantee my life on it. You can Google this and check for yourself. Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan...they can't compete. We had a display here at work of all the different manufacturers frames cross-cut. Not even worth comparing. Ford kills it in this catagory.

I guarantee you that Chevy and Ram have FAR stronger frames than a Super Duty. The cross sections you are talking about are from an F150 which has a fully boxed, hydroformed frame and it my opinion it's stronger than the super duty frames. Super Dutys still use a c channel frame which isn't weak but does allow for a ton of flex. I bet in 2017 the SD will have a fully boxed frame to keep up with the other guys.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:45 AM   #49

James,

I have the tow package--3.55 with 11,500 lbs tow limit. I didn't get the HD payload package, not available on the short bed. With the longer box 4X2 you can get up to 2,900 lbs and with the 4X4 you can get 2,650 lbs payload...probably take off about 400-500 pounds after equipping it. Still very impressive!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
I guarantee you that Chevy and Ram have FAR stronger frames than a Super Duty. The cross sections you are talking about are from an F150 which has a fully boxed, hydroformed frame and it my opinion it's stronger than the super duty frames. Super Dutys still use a c channel frame which isn't weak but does allow for a ton of flex. I bet in 2017 the SD will have a fully boxed frame to keep up with the other guys.
Eh..doubt that. But..ok.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:01 AM   #51

Quote:
Eh..doubt that. But..ok.

Read here: What I Know About the 2017 Super Duty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford knows the Super Duty frames aren't up to par and that is why they are making the change to a fully boxed frame. The F350 I just got rid of had horrible frame flex anytime I took it off road with a load in the bed. My F150 carrying the same load going through the same off road spots has no frame flex whatsoever. Just my .02
Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
Read here: What I Know About the 2017 Super Duty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford knows the Super Duty frames aren't up to par and that is why they are making the change to a fully boxed frame. The F350 I just got rid of had horrible frame flex anytime I took it off road with a load in the bed. My F150 carrying the same load going through the same off road spots has no frame flex whatsoever. Just my .02

That just scared me.

Still love my Ford and wouldn't drive any other vehicle.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #53

Quote:
That just scared me.

Still love my Ford and wouldn't drive any other vehicle.

I drive a Ford, not saying they are bad. The Super Duty's just don't have the frame/drivetrain strength of Chevy and Ram right now. Anyways, I have muddied up this thread enough, sorry OP.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #54

My Experience with F150 Ecoboost

I posted part of this in another thread so please excuse this added post. My experience with the F150 Ecoboost has been very good. I purchased a 2014 F150 Ecoboost Max Tow to tow a 28DSBH Whitehawk. We liked the 28DSBH and felt it was a great trailer, but we felt we wanted more than the light weight trailer. Not long after purchasing the F150 Ecoboost we purchased a 2015 Jay Flight 27RLS, Elite Option with Fiberglass sidewalls. We feel it is more heavy duty and more stable when set up for camping than the light weight trailer (28DSBH). I chose the F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow over a Super Duty F250, because I wanted the better fuel economy when not towing. I have owned a 2008 gas Super Duty F250 and a 2009 and a 2011 F350 diesel Super Duty truck(s) and pulled heavy trailers and fifth wheels with them. They are great tow vehicles. It is interesting that when I towed with the Super Duty trucks I purchases heavier trailers/fifth wheels which pushed the GVWR limits on those vehicles when carrying passengers and cargo in those trucks. In my opinion, the Jay Flight 27RLS is close to requiring the F250 because of the heavy tongue weight. My tongue weight fully loaded at over 8,000 lbs. is between 950 lbs. and 1040 lbs. (actual tongue weight according to tongue scale) on the 27RLS, before the weight distribution hitch is hooked up. When I hook up the weight distribution hitch the tongue weight is redistributed lowering the tongue weight by about 100 lbs. according to the CAT scale. My Ecoboost Max Tow will handle the 27RLS fully loaded with passengers and gear without exceeding its limits, but I would be pushing the limits without the Max Tow. I do not exceed my GVWR or CGVWR on the F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow even when fully loaded. The F250 would probably be better if I needed the extra capacity to haul more gear, but I am very pleased with the F150 Ecoboost, Max Tow. I haul everything I need and still stay within the limits of the F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow. I haul up and down paved mountain roads in Idaho, Utah, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and Montana, and on smaller roads, and on Interstate Highways. The F150 Ecoboost doesn't even slow down (except when I go down the other side of a steep grade - then I manually shift down for a safe speed and to not over heat the brakes). My 2014 F150, Ecoboost, Max Tow has plenty of power (surprisingly plenty of power to haul the heavy trailer), great handling ability and ample stopping ability to tow the 27RLS. I use the Blue Ox Sway Pro and have the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires and the feel of the towing experience is good at highway speeds between 55 mph and 65 mph. My 27RLS tires are rated for 75 mph, but I do not tow over 65 mph. (normally tow around 62-63 mph). I am pleased with my tow vehicle, travel trailer, and towing experience. I believe the new 6.2 gas F250 Super Duty would be great too!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:54 AM   #55

Great post... Thanks!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #56

To follow up... Have about 400 miles on our 32BHDS towing behind my 2015 F150 3.5 eco with max tow. All I can say is this truck pulls and handles great with this trailer. I was a bit apprehensive when I read all the posts about going with a 3/4 ton for towing a large TT. I can now speak from experience that the new 150 (can't speak for any older models) does a great job.

I will add that the setup is critical. I upgraded the WD hitch bars to 1000-1500 pound ratings and this made a big difference. I also researched tire pressure and run the tires closer to max air pressure. (tires are rated at max pressure) The added stiffness from the higher air pressure is also noticeable. I also added a second anti sway bar to the hitch.

With this setup the truck only dips about an inch in the rear and about 1/2" in the front. Goes over dips in the road without a lot of bouncing. And has very little sway.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #57

RJ, how's your payload in the 150? I found with the 31 RLDS our 2011 Eco FX4 with max tow only had 51# of payload left with full gas, wife and dogs along for the ride. We also had a fiberglass top on that truck.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmer View Post
Hi guys, I would like to know if there's anyone that owns a Ford F150 V6 and how powerful they are for real. Also what size of travel trailer are you pulling with it. Thank you and happy camping !!

Dan

2011 Tacoma

2014 Jayco 185rd
Do you know your TT's weight? Even if you only have a tongue weight you could estimate your TT weight. I assume you are asking about the newer F150's (eco boost) but my son drives an older 150 V6 non-turbo and I don't think it'd be suitable for anything heavier than a PUP.
JMHO, but I think a 150 is good to around 800-1000# of tongue weight (just a guess, mind you).
Post a year and trim level you are considering and maybe someone will have their weights to post for you. Combining that with your TT weights will Help you understand if it's suitable.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #59

I had a 2011 ecoboost with HD tow package and 3.73 gears. It could pull, 11,200 and had a tongue rated to 1,256 IIRC with a WD hitch. The ecoboost has no problem pulling, it's the available payload that will get you.

I regularly pulled an 18ft car hauler with a heavy off-road jeep, cat scale had me at 7480 for the trailer, didn't even know it was there when you hit the gas and those turbos kicked in.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #60

We have a 2008 F-150 super-crew, King Ranch, no eco-boost and no special towing package. Its tow capacity is, per Ford (referencing the VIN) is 9000 lbs. We have yet to get our 23 MRB, but anticipate it weighing no more than 5K, so we think we'll be fine. If and when we trade in "the Fiddy," we'll think about one of the new aluminum ones, which are getting rave reviews, but meantime, we love our "Fiddy."
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote