Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #61

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
The stock 20's that come on the F150 are wrapped in Pirelli Scorpion tires which are P rated, believe it or not. Ford uses this tire because it is the lightest 20in truck tire out there that still meets the loading requirements for published tow weights. That being said, they are not a good tow tire. Far too soft on the sidewalls and winter traction is terrible.

I put a set of LT Duratracs on my factory 20s and they have been fantastic. SNIP

I have an F150 that is non ecoboost and my tires are also the p-rated tires and want to swap them out. How did your TPMS handle the extra air pressure on the duratracs
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #62

TPMS doesn't care about the higher pressure, only low pressure.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:22 AM   #63

@Blderman: thanks
Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #64

I have a 2013 F150 super crew, 5.5' box, V6 EcoBoost, automatic, pulling a Jayco Whitehawk MB20. This truck is a pullin' machine! More power than I could ever need. Takes off like a rabbit and pulls steep hills like they're not even there. Surprised the heck out of my buddy who's running a Dodge 2500 with a chipped Cummins when I walked away from him going up Jackass mountain in the Fraser canyon! I was going 50mph at the bottom and had to back out of it at 85mph near the top! Unbelievable. Ran 400 miles up into Cariboo country and back and averaged 12 Mpg. Buddy got 9.5 with his diesel. And mine's a lot quieter, too!
Dgrdale2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #65

Does that "Dale" part of your user name mean you're an Earnheart? Slow down.

There are Old Aviators and there are Bold Aviators, but there are no old AND bold Aviators.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #66

I've owned a chipped Cummins. There is no way whatsoever that an Ecoboost will walk away from a Cummins towing in the mountains. Empty maybe.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:44 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrdale2000 View Post
Surprised the heck out of my buddy who's running a Dodge 2500 with a chipped Cummins when I walked away from him going up Jackass mountain in the Fraser canyon! I was going 50mph at the bottom and had to back out of it at 85mph near the top! Unbelievable. Ran 400 miles up into Cariboo country and back and averaged 12 Mpg. Buddy got 9.5 with his diesel. And mine's a lot quieter, too!
There are so many things that appear to be wrong with your post...

What year Cummins... The Eco-boost puts out 365 HP at 5000+ RPMs, my 2015 Ram puts out 370 HP at 3000 RPM's.

You aren't walking away from my Cummins with a stock Eco-boost, and you sure aren't getting better mileage at the same speeds as I am. That being said, if you are towing at 85 mph, you will be towing faster than me because I ain't stupid enough to tow at 85 mph.

In terms of fuel mileage... I have read that the Eco-boost struggles to get much better than 12 mpg non-towing in town. To use your own term... its "unbelievable" that you are towing at 85 mph UPHILL and getting 12 mpg.

I just don't believe it. Either you own the BEST Eco-boost engine ever produced or you are fibbing a little bit.

This isn't meant to take anything away from the Eco-boost. It is a great engine for occasional towing and can be had for thousands less than my Cummins. it is a great engine, but its not as great as your claims...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #68

Well guys, all I can say is "who was there, you or I?" Of course I don't pull my rv at 85 mph as a rule. This was a steep grade, straight road, 4 lane totally empty but for me and my buddy, and a quick test. I DID pull away from him very easily. He DID tell me afterward he had it all into it. I DID add up my fuel receipts for the 800 mile round trip, NOT going with the dash computer, and they worked out to 11.82 mph (sorry for the little fibbing to 12mpg). I am disappointed that my response to someone else's request for an opinion from an EcoBoost owner would draw such a bashing. You all can keep your forum. As a new Jayco owner, I found it interesting, a good source of information and ideas, and a place where I could share my own little troubles and triumphs, but I don't need your kind of input. Have fun saying "good riddance", but I'm gone.
Dgrdale2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #69

Quote:
Well guys, all I can say is "who was there, you or I?" Of course I don't pull my rv at 85 mph as a rule. This was a steep grade, straight road, 4 lane totally empty but for me and my buddy, and a quick test. I DID pull away from him very easily. He DID tell me afterward he had it all into it. I DID add up my fuel receipts for the 800 mile round trip, NOT going with the dash computer, and they worked out to 11.82 mph (sorry for the little fibbing to 12mpg). I am disappointed that my response to someone else's request for an opinion from an EcoBoost owner would draw such a bashing. You all can keep your forum. As a new Jayco owner, I found it interesting, a good source of information and ideas, and a place where I could share my own little troubles and triumphs, but I don't need your kind of input. Have fun saying "good riddance", but I'm gone.
We aren't bashing you but as someone who has owned two Cummins trucks and now an Ecoboost there just isn't anyway this possible. Maybe there was something wrong with his truck??
Old 11-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #70
Site Team

[QUOTE=spoon059;358879]
In terms of fuel mileage... I have read that the Eco-boost struggles to get much better than 12 mpg non-towing in town. To use your own term... its "unbelievable" that you are towing at 85 mph UPHILL and getting 12 mpg.

QUOTE]

See an earlier post of mine, below...

Coming up to a 7% grade in Colorado, we were following a TT and about 1/4 of the way up he slowed down (50mph) and I decided it was time to pass him. I went past at about 60mph and kept going, still had plenty of throttle left. He had a Cummins, do not know what size, but when we got to the CG and checked in along comes the guy we passed up and has the spot next to us. After we got settled in, he was asking all kinds of questions about the EcoBoost. He could not believe that it was a 6cyl engine. He said he had it all out when I passed him. I am unsure if he may have needed a tune up, but that was my experience with a 7% grade and the Ecoboost. He said when he got back home he was going to test drive/tow an Ecoboost. Below are my mileage results. Still about the same today. His TT was about the same as ours.

I just saw a Jay Leno's Garage and they showed the Ford GT (not the Mustang) pushing over 700hp, from its EcoBoost engine. That would have been a nice engine for my 65 Mustang.... maybe Jayco will start requesting the EcoBoost in their RV's.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ECOBOOST NUMBERS.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
See an earlier post of mine, below...

Coming up to a 7% grade in Colorado, we were following a TT and about 1/4 of the way up he slowed down (50mph) and I decided it was time to pass him. I went past at about 60mph and kept going, still had plenty of throttle left. He had a Cummins, do not know what size, but when we got to the CG and checked in along comes the guy we passed up and has the spot next to us. After we got settled in, he was asking all kinds of questions about the EcoBoost. He could not believe that it was a 6cyl engine. He said he had it all out when I passed him. I am unsure if he may have needed a tune up, but that was my experience with a 7% grade and the Ecoboost. He said when he got back home he was going to test drive/tow an Ecoboost. Below are my mileage results. Still about the same today. His TT was about the same as ours.

I just saw a Jay Leno's Garage and they showed the Ford GT (not the Mustang) pushing over 700hp, from its EcoBoost engine. That would have been a nice engine for my 65 Mustang.... maybe Jayco will start requesting the EcoBoost in their RV's.

Don
I have a 2014 F-150 SCREW with the 3.5 L EcoBoost. I'm not seeing anywhere near those fuel mileages. Last tank of gas was 17.5 with a mix of city and highway and I was happy to see even that. City driving is down in the mid-teens for me and I'm lucky to get 19 with mostly highway miles.

I refrain from jack rabbit starts. Typically travel at 70 mph or so when on the highway.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylersdad View Post
I have a 2014 F-150 SCREW with the 3.5 L EcoBoost. I'm not seeing anywhere near those fuel mileages. Last tank of gas was 17.5 with a mix of city and highway and I was happy to see even that. City driving is down in the mid-teens for me and I'm lucky to get 19 with mostly highway miles.

I refrain from jack rabbit starts. Typically travel at 70 mph or so when on the highway.
I just went out to the drive way and checked the gas mileage 16.4 (all city, wife was last to drive this morning) it was 17.5 (city also) (somewhere in the mid to upper 17's) the other day when I was driving. You know I love doing this so I can tell DW she needs to get a lighter foot while driving. She likes jack-rabit starts, especially if someone is on her right. Have not been on the highway in awhile.. will have to take a ride and post the mileage readings. Do not remember what the 70mph readings were. Usualy we have the TT behind us when we are on the highways. I drive listening to the engine and know when to take a little pressure off the gas peddle to make it shift to the next gear, wife does not do that.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #73

Quote:
Who is bashing the F-150? This is a quote from my post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
This isn't meant to take anything away from the Eco-boost. It is a great engine for occasional towing and can be had for thousands less than my Cummins. it is a great engine, but its not as great as your claims...
You are claiming 12 mpg towing, then say that you added up receipts and got almost 12 (I won't qibble about .18 mpg). How many of those 800 miles were towing? I can believe that you averaged 12 mpg and towed half the time and got 18 or 20 mpg when you weren't towing... but I don't believe for a second that you towed UPHILL at 80+ mph and got 12 mpg.

For comparison sake, The Fast Lane trucks tested the Ecoboost up the Ike Gauntlet and got 3.3mpg... and they don't tow at 80mph. 2015 Ford F-150: 2.7L vs 3.5L EcoBoost [Ike Gauntlet Video Comparison] - Truck News, Views and Real World Reviews

You want to tell fishing tales at the campground, that is fine with me. I find it to be a disservice to people to tell outright lies to someone trying to figure out the right vehicle for them. If the OP buys a 3.5 Ecoboost expecting your towing MPG numbers, he is going to be sadly mistaken. People that I talk to in campgrounds tell me a different story. Met a guy in Florida that towed from Maryland on I95. Its a pretty level road, speed limit from 65-75 in between. He said he kept it at 60 on a level road pulling a 6000 lbs trailer and got 11. That is very good for a gas engine, at much lower speeds and none of the hills you are claiming. We go camping in the "mountains" of western Pennsylvania and I have talked to guys out there getting 8-9 mpg pulling the hills at 65 mph with midsize trailers in the 6000-8000 lbs range. Again, those are pretty good numbers for a gas engine in the hills. You are claiming to have 50% better mileage at 20 mph faster... it simply isn't true.

The truth of the matter is that the Ecoboost is a GREAT engine for occasional towing. It has a relatively low price point (compared to 3/4 tons) and makes a lot of power low in the RPM band. Properly set up they can have almost a ton of payload, making it great for a family with up to an 8 or 9000 lbs camper. Anything more than that and you run out of payload on a half ton.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #74

Quote:
DID YOU GET YOUR FEELINGS HURT I would bet you gave your buddy a nice ribbing and he didn't walk away from you. But if that is how you fell then I would say you won't be missed
BTW from a Ford owner

I will also say if all you have is 17 posts since you have become a member You don't get very involved in the forum so again you and your input will not be missed JMHO
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #75
Site Team

Time for every one to calm down and play nice.
Thank you...

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blderman View Post
TPMS doesn't care about the higher pressure, only low pressure.
Not exactly. My TST monitors pressure, 10psi low and 20 psi high. Also tire temps. All alarm limits are user changeable.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Not exactly. My TST monitors pressure, 10psi low and 20 psi high. Also tire temps. All alarm limits are user changeable.
Interesting, I run 80psi everytime I tow and it never triggers a warning light.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #78

Quote:
It's the same with my Minder Research pressure monitors.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #79

Just traded a 2013 F150 Ecoboost Supercrew Maxtow with the 5.5 Bed. It towed my 29BHDS very well power wise, was just a little over on payload. I had the equalizer weight distribution hitch, if I got blasted by by a semi or box truck my 35 foot long trailer could pull it over a bit especially on 2 lane roads when it was oncoming to me.

My cat scale results can be found here, it was a fairly light load in the truck, 3 adults, about 200lbs in the bed. TT was Dry.

Made the decision to trade up to a Ram 2500 for better handling as we are planning some long trips, and it was still worth decent money on trade. It was a tough decision, I think I could have played with the weight distribution and really watched the loading and been OK payload wise. Haven't towed with the 2500 yet.

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:24 AM   #80

Quote:

You said your tst. I was asking ant the built in system to the f-150. Are you talking about that or q separate system? I was thinking about getting a separate system as well just for the camper and might extend it to my truck when towing