Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #1

Frame not level

Just bought at 338 RETS. When setting up trailer for the first time noticed I couldn't get the trailer level.

I placed a 24 inch level on the back bumper of the trailer and leveled the trailer with the bubble on the driver side line. (Wanted my head slightly elevated when sleeping)

After a poor night of sleep (suggestive I was sleeping with my head slightly down) I rechecked my trailer. Discovered the front of the trailer had the bubble on the passenger side line while the reading at the rear was unchanged. Checked various points in between and found a smooth transition between these two readings.

Is this cause for concern? The difference is slight and knowing it is present I can compensate when I set the trailer up. Should I be concerned about tire wear and blow outs? Trailer tows well.

Thx
Hram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

IMO it's nothing to worry about.

Your flame will flex, especially when leveling. I mounted leveling bubbles on my TT, they get me about 90%, then I fine tune using a 36" level placed on the floor at a couple points through the trailer.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

Congratulations on the new Eagle and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

Your back bumper may not be perfectly level either, as its just tack welded to the back. I would either put a level on the A-frame up front, or open the door and place the level on the middle of the floor, in between the frame rails.

As has been stated, the frames are designed to flex so one corner can be a couple inches off from another corner. They ain't perfect, but they are a lot better than sleeping on the ground!
spoon059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

Most trailers do not have a consistent level. The solution is to first determine what feels level for you and your family. Once the trailer is level in that way, apply stick on levels with the bubble centered on the front and on one side. Use those levels as your guide.

Trying to get a trailer level everywhere is a game that you will lose and will drive you crazy.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:34 AM   #6

The Eagle 338 RETS has the queen bed on a slide, correct? It is possible the slide mechanism allows the head of the bed to drop. If so, even with the rest of the trailer level, the slide might be tipped down making your head 'low'. Our Jay Flight has a hide-a-bed in the slide and our adult guests have mentioned the head-down issue when sleeping on it. They just turned around!

You might have your dealer check and see if your slide is tipping down too far.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #7

We have a 2017 338RETS also and I thought the head of the bed was lower also. After checking numerous spots I found nothing solid was off (frame, bed slide, bed pedestal, etc...). I finally gave up looking. I'm thinking about putting a piece of foam under the head of the bed to see it that helps.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #8

We had a new 294BHS Jay Flight Swift with leveling issues. It was impossible to level side to side. If the front was level, the back right corner was high and when the back was level, the front right corner was low. After 5 months of back and forth with Jayco, they agreed to send it to a local frame shop. The frame shop disconnected the cabin from the frame and determined the cabin was significantly twisted. It was so bad that when the cabin was connected to the frame, it twisted the frame to create the problems we were having. To Jayco's credit, they helped get us into a new trailer.

I would recommend going back to your dealer. They should be your advocate with JAYCO to fix the problem. Don't let up though. Jayco actually took our trailer back to Indiana, checked it and sent it back saying nothing was wrong. It wasn't until I got the owner of the dealership in the shop with my trailer to agree to the issues and advocate to Jayco. Good luck
christopher.smith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #9

Had the same problem on my tt. What I did was while still hooked up to the truck I put out the slides and awning then leveled the trailer from side to side exactly the way I wanted it. I then brought in the slides and awning and set the front level so it was level. Now when I set up the trailer I use the level with everything in to set it up. Now when everything is out the level may be off but I compensated for any lean and the tt is level. So far it has worked great.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #10

I have a 2017 338RETS and level with the off door side about 1 inch higher than the door side because i found when the 2 slides on the off door side go out I drop that 1 inch and am now level. I also use the Made By Joe RV Level so I can see how much I need to add and on what side
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote