Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #1

Frameless Window Repair

I have searched the forum before creating this thread and know there were prior posts regarding this but cannot find them. I own a WH 27DSRL and I have the Lippert frameless windows. I am an expert in fixing the one-piece windows. I know to remove the set screw on the top and slide the window to the side and replace the arms into the slots. Now I'm having trouble with a two-piece window. These are the ones where the top half does not swing out but the bottom half does. There is a set screw on the inside, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have sent an email to Lippert but no reply as of yet. I'd take it back to the dealer but we have camping trips scheduled and would like it fixed before our upcoming trip.
On a side note, I'd like some recommendations for a lubricant for the rubber seal. That is the cause of the issue I always seem to have. If the window has not been opened for quite a while (such as over the winter), the window sticks tight to the seal and pops out of the channel when trying to open. I need something that won't eat the seal away. I was thinking of veg. oil but didn't know if that would work.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #2

No help for the window fix, but on the seal, try baby powder. Works great there and on the slide seals.
Veg oil will become a sticky mess.....
Old 07-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
I have searched the forum before creating this thread and know there were prior posts regarding this but cannot find them. I own a WH 27DSRL and I have the Lippert frameless windows. I am an expert in fixing the one-piece windows. I know to remove the set screw on the top and slide the window to the side and replace the arms into the slots. Now I'm having trouble with a two-piece window. These are the ones where the top half does not swing out but the bottom half does. There is a set screw on the inside, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have sent an email to Lippert but no reply as of yet. I'd take it back to the dealer but we have camping trips scheduled and would like it fixed before our upcoming trip.
On a side note, I'd like some recommendations for a lubricant for the rubber seal. That is the cause of the issue I always seem to have. If the window has not been opened for quite a while (such as over the winter), the window sticks tight to the seal and pops out of the channel when trying to open. I need something that won't eat the seal away. I was thinking of veg. oil but didn't know if that would work.
It is a little unclear what your issue is with the window. If the small "wheels" mounted to the end of the arms have come out of the tracks, then it is an easy fix. Simply drill out the rivets that are used to mount the handle assembly (never should have had rivets in the first place). Put the wheels back into the track, then put the whole assembly back on with screws. If it ever happens again, then simply unscrew it to fix.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #4

I was told if the Windows stick to slide a credit card along it to release the rubber.
Don't know if it works..........
Good Zluck
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #5

I'd stay away from the veggy oil. May draw critters & ants. Try silicone spray.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 AM   #6

Thanks, everyone. Great ideas. I was hoping for a quick fix like I've learned with the one-piece windows. We are picking the unit up out of storage on Thursday evening and packing for a week-long trip when we leave Saturday morning. Since I work all day Friday, I'll only have Thursday evening and Friday evening to work on it, along with packing and preparation. My work activities prevent me from getting it home sooner. I'm disappointed at how easily the wheels pop out of the slots. It seems like I'll be dealing with this as long as I own it. I think the drilling will be my long-term solution and may do that to all the LCI frameless windows in my future.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redenbacher View Post
Thanks, everyone. Great ideas. I was hoping for a quick fix like I've learned with the one-piece windows. We are picking the unit up out of storage on Thursday evening and packing for a week-long trip when we leave Saturday morning. Since I work all day Friday, I'll only have Thursday evening and Friday evening to work on it, along with packing and preparation. My work activities prevent me from getting it home sooner. I'm disappointed at how easily the wheels pop out of the slots. It seems like I'll be dealing with this as long as I own it. I think the drilling will be my long-term solution and may do that to all the LCI frameless windows in my future.
Yes, I agree they come out too easy. However, on my trailer it only happened to one of them, one time, so maybe it is not so bad. I do know that now I make sure I don't over-open/close the windows.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 AM   #8

I had to do this fix yesterday when I over-extended in opening the window. It took all 15 minutes the drill the rivets out and replace with screws.

Below is a link to YouTube that shows how easy it is

MattBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

When we were shopping for the TT, one window had already popped out the track, so I asked the dealer to fix it before PDI. It think they only used brute force as the plastic wheels/rollers are pretty chewed up. I guess they didn't know about the set screw on the top. It has popped out twice since. Now it is happening on a window where the top part of the window is fixed and only the bottom half extends out. After watching the video, I think I'll spend a little more time and make a permanent fix like you did. I suppose 15-30 min on the front end will save me a lot of aggravation on the back end if it pops out again. Again, thanks to everyone!

Tags
frameless, repair, seals, window