Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #1

Freezing up

Next Fall to extend our camping season I'm buying this:
"Basecamp by Mr. Heater Aquacube Digital Shower".
My plan is to winterize the camper so no pipes freeze but use this unit for our showers. The question I have is will my shower holding tank or especially the shower drain freeze if I just let the shower water drain out?
Thanks!
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #2

Yes water in the gray water holding can freeze if the temps go low enough. A little water in there won't be a problem because it can expand upwards in the tank without cracking it.

A lot of water would be a problem, plus after it freezes you won't be able to drain the tank.

You could add a holding tank heating pad. Maybe if you pored some RV anti-freeze down the drain before each shower that would stop the freezing but I've never done it and don't know the ratio you'd need.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #3

What type of camper? Is it open underneath or does it have an enclosed underbelly? Are you planning to move a lot during this time or are you planning to stay in one spot? We have wintered over with a camper that had an open underbelly successfully with just a few steps taken. I (we) just need a little more info about your intended use.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawoo View Post
Next Fall to extend our camping season I'm buying this:
"Basecamp by Mr. Heater Aquacube Digital Shower".
My plan is to winterize the camper so no pipes freeze but use this unit for our showers. The question I have is will my shower holding tank or especially the shower drain freeze if I just let the shower water drain out?
Thanks!
If you leave the grey tank drain open, the water will run out every time you shower to freeze on the ground and eventually soak in come springtime...

IF AND ONLY IF the owners of the land you are parked on will allow this AND you are a safe distance from any body of water.

Question though, what is the heat source for your shower box? Googling it only turns up places to buy and that it has a rechargeable battery. Does it use stored power in the battery to heat the water?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #5

lots of questions. How cold do you expect to camp too? and for how long? We have been out to 20 deg F for long weekends with no issues with pipes or tanks, and we have an open underbelly.

What is your trailer? Does it have an open or closed underbelly? Some units have heated underbellies, using the furnace air, I am guessing yours is not one of them.

If you think you might have freeze up issues with the tanks, I would seriously consider tank heaters. They are pads that glue to the bottom of the tank that gently warm the tank, to keep them above freezing. You can get them in 12V DC, 120V AC and in a combo unit, so they work while pulling the unit and once at camp and plugged into shore power.

There are other options especially if the unit is setup on a seasonal site.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #6

Hi guys. I should have been more clear. Our camper is a 2014 28 BH. It has a shield under it but that shield is not insulated. We bought property ten years ago that we park our camper on in the summer months to use on weekends. I brought in power and have a lawn freeze proof spigot for water. I want to use the camper longer then the April to September we use it now. The shower water will just drain through a hose out on my property. The grey water tank will not fill.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Still wondering, "What heats the water for your digital shower"?

And proud of it!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #8

It's propane.
Amazon.com : Basecamp by Mr. Heater Aquacube Digital Shower (Blk/Silver) : Camping Equipments : Sports & Outdoors
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:37 AM   #9

Whew!

I watched the video. The disposable tank ties in on the back.

Thanks

And proud of it!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Yes, it's a one pound portable tank. It claims to give your 4 to 5 showers with one tank. Those are pretty expensive so I also plan on buying one of those adapters that let you fill empty one pound tanks with a 20 pound tank. Pretty cool I think and should allow me to get a couple of months more use out of our camper.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #11

If it is just parked, and it is there all winter in makes it a lot easier. Personally, I would not leave the grey tank valve open, while there. The cold air will enter the tank any water condensation will freeze and make a mess.

Personally, I would build a simple skirt around the trailer, ideally with some high density foam and then some type of cover, plywood or aluminum soffit type material. This will keep a lot of the cold out, so you can heat the area as a bonus the floors will feel warmer. With a skirt a couple 100 watt light bulbs will keep the underside from freezing.

Also if it just has a simple underbelly that is not insulated, I was also consider the heated tank pads.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #12

Forget 'refilling' those disposable cans. Those adapters only re-pressurize the smaller can with vapor. No liquid moves.

You can get adapters and hose to run a small propane appliance directly from a 20# bulk tank. I modified my old trailer for that and it worked great!

And proud of it!
Old 06-12-2015, 01:45 PM   #13

Hey Mike, those adapters don't work? Even if you freeze the tank first? Looking at the You Tube videos it sounds like that's the key. Yes, they probably don't fill 100% but even 80% would be cost effective. The trouble with just using a hose from a 20 pound take is where will I store that tank? This hot water heater and the 7 gallon water jug I'm going to use for the water supply will take up enough from in my small bathroom.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #14

If the propane connection on the shower will only accept the small 1# propane bottles, just get a hose that will fit the shower propane connection and a 20# tank, problem solved. I got a hose with these connections for a Weber Q and works just fine.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #15

Jimp, just no room in the shower for the big 20# tank.
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #16

What about using the tanks on the camper? You can get a fitting that will let you hook both to the camper and run the smaller appliances. Then you just run a hose to the shower.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:56 AM   #17

djtho1, my tanks are in the front and the bathroom is in the back. I don't know how I could run the hose to the rear or even if it would be safe to do.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #18

My tanks are in the front and Jayco ran the propane hose all the way to the back with a quick connect to use the bumper mounted grill. I would think this would be the same idea.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #19

Of course! My tanks are in the front and my camper hot water heater is in the rear. Of course I can tap off that. What was I thinking?
It looks like I have a mod in my future..
Thanks guys for the tips.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:38 AM   #20

I use the refill adapter fittings to refill the 1 lb tanks, never had a problem with them. They don't refill to full, but are within a ounce or so of being full.