Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #1

Fresh Water/Holding Tank Levels

One thing I noticed on our first trip out with the new TT was that, while filling the fresh water tank, the amount of time to progress from "Empty" to "1/3" was proportionally much longer than the time to progress from "1/3" to "2/3" and "2/3" to "Full". Same thing happened while the water was being used.. It seemed to progress from "Full", "2/3", "1/3" quickly and read "Empty" most of the time we were camping. I'm just wondering if this is normal or if maybe the sensors in the tank are mounted in the wrong place.

Similarly, my grey tank seemed to reach "Full" quicker than I had expected.. When your grey tank reads "full", is it advisable to immediately stop using water and dump, or does "full" really mean there is still some room in the tank? We kept draining water for about a half day or so after it read "full" and didn't seem to have any problems. That being said, what is the worst that would happen? Would the drains just start backing up until I dump or would more serious problems occur?
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
lagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #2

I noticed the long time to get to 1/3 as well (went to a State Park and needed to bring our own fresh water). I just chalked it up to being the first time using it and the sensors being slow to react. We were fortunate enough that the grey water didn't get close to full as the Park's bathrooms were very nice inside and just across the path from our campsite. They even had a nice dish washing station so it helped reduce the water usage.
As to going beyond full with the grey, I would be apprehensive to push my luck. We had a hybrid prior that had tiny grey/black/and fresh tanks and if showering, the tub would just start to fill. My concern would be one of the sinks - I haven't looked at the venting close enough but I would hate for water to gain access under a sink. Hopefully others chime in with the "real" concerns.
oceanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #3

We just sold a 28BHS and several times forgot about grey tank until it started coming up in tub. As the tub is lowest drain in the trailer, this is where it will back up into.

2013 Jayco Flight 32TSBH
:USA::USA:
Proud Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Grandpa View Post
We just sold a 28BHS and several times forgot about grey tank until it started coming up in tub. As the tub is lowest drain in the trailer, this is where it will back up into.
X2 - usually while taking a shower.

2010 Jayflight 29RLS
2006 Ford F-250 Superduty 6.0 diesel
Equalizer hitch

Recondite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondite View Post
X2 - usually while taking a shower.
x3. DW once was showering when it quit draining. I've just finished the shower in a hurry, but she wasn't that flexible. After a bit of scolding me for not keeping my eye on things, I ran outside and pulled the valve open. Problem solved! (Yes, we were in a full hookup site.)
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #6

Have a look under your TT. You will see that there is a larger space from the bottom of the tank to the 1/3 sensor than the space between sensors. Also, you will see that there is a large gap between the full sensor and the top of the tank.

I used my TT the first time this past weekend. I emptied the tanks at the dump station. When Ingot home, the black water reads 1/3 still. I'm guessing some nasty stuff is stuck to the sensor. Surely there must be a better way of measuring the levels in these tanks!!
JaycoNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
x3. DW once was showering when it quit draining. I've just finished the shower in a hurry, but she wasn't that flexible. After a bit of scolding me for not keeping my eye on things, I ran outside and pulled the valve open. Problem solved! (Yes, we were in a full hookup site.)
shame shame shame , Craig
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote