Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #1

Fresh water tank fill - overflow

Hello (again )

When filling up my fresh water tank it will get so full and water will start to come out of these 2 overflow tubes that stick out of the enclosed underbelly on the opposite side of the fill hole (I am guessing and looking for confirmation).

What I also noticed is that water started to come out around where one of the low point drains was even though there is a ton of caulk around it where it comes out of the underbelly. Is that normal?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #2

Water coming from overflow tubes is normal, but we've never had leakage from or around low point drains while filling. Does it continue to come out long after you've filled it?
Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #3

Those two drain tubes under your FW tank are indeed the overflows, and water will run out when the tank is overfilled. That is normal. As for the low point drain leak, is it coming out of the drain hose, or coming out around it ? If coming out the hose, you probably have a leaking valve up inside the trailer. If around, then you probably have a leaking joint somewhere above the drain hose, or a cracked line or fitting. Neither one is normal. You will most likely have to get up under the trailer, and maybe remove an underbelly panel, to see where water is coming around the hose, and then trace it up into your cabin until you find the leak. If the valve is leaking, you might try opening and closing several times, in case there is some dirt or crud causing it to not close properly. If that doesn't work, a new valve is likely the solution.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #4

I just noticed this problem of water coming from the overflow tube as well. However, my fresh tank gauge only reads 2/3 or 1/3 full. (I get different readings at different fillings). Any ideas?

I filled it this weekend and two days later it said it was empty. I then used a 5 gallon fresh water jug and a funnel to fill it and put about 15 gallons in it and it started to overflow again. Maybe this is a gauge issue?
huntrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #5

Yes, the factory tank indicators are frequently in error. Most of the time the problem is caused by junk in the tank covering the sensors and causing false electrical readings, but we've never had a problem with the FW tank, since there shouldn't be anything in there but plain water. Do you use a water filter when filling ? I guess some junk could have gotten in there somehow. Another possibility is a loose wire somewhere in the indicator system, or an intermittent ground. Those could cause false indications as well.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

This was the second time I filled the tank, and did not notice it on the first try. I am taking it in for some warranty issues, so I think I will have them look at this too.
huntrfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrfish View Post
I just noticed this problem of water coming from the overflow tube as well. However, my fresh tank gauge only reads 2/3 or 1/3 full. (I get different readings at different fillings). Any ideas?

I filled it this weekend and two days later it said it was empty. I then used a 5 gallon fresh water jug and a funnel to fill it and put about 15 gallons in it and it started to overflow again. Maybe this is a gauge issue?
My FW tank only reads 2/3 full when completely full, always has. I put little faith in any of the three tank gauges.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #8

Over-active overflow tubes are a constant complaint with Jayco and Starcraft trailers.
See the following thread for the solution. You only need to check the last page of the thread for the solution. The first several pages are non-believers. http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...t=22fb%20water
It is a VERY easy fix...you just need to remember to open your newly installed valve when filling, and close it when it first starts to overflow. Problem solved!
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote