Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank filling up wihen attached to City Water

I have a 2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RKS. When I am hooked up to City Water Connection at the campground, me fresh water tank fills up after several hours and overflows over the escape valve. Also, when my refrigerator is pretty full, it doesn't want to latch closed. Doesn't appear that anything is preventing it other than a heavier door. Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #2

Are you by chance using your water pump while connected to 'city' water? If no... I have no suggestions other than dealer.

I see you are from Modesto I was born there, enrolled at Davis High school and then started moving around the country (parents issue) and finally landed here in Colorado... anyway shout out to ya.

~Mark
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #3

No, the water pump was off. We had left to go to dinner and visit friends and several hours later returned to water flowing out of the overflow fresh water valve. Thank you for your inqirery.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

Yes, have lived in the Modesto area for many years. Actually grew up in the Chico area which is where this incident occurred. Wife born and raised here.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelers View Post
Yes, have lived in the Modesto area for many years. Actually grew up in the Chico area which is where this incident occurred. Wife born and raised here.
Sorry I couldn't help you resolve the water problem.. I've been told to disconnect city hookups if I'm not at the camper, always use a pressure regulator in case the city supply has too much pressure, etc.. perhaps you have a valve problem. If you email Jayco they can send you something resembling a 'blue print' of your water system and you can isolate the issue. Good luck to you!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #6

Yes, I had a Campco water restricter on. I think I will turn it off when not present at the trailer. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:39 PM   #7

is the valve turned off that allows the pump to pull water from the storage tank? Maybe its getting to the tank that way.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #8

When I drained the fresh water tank I believe there were two valves turned. Once turned, I thought I put them back into their original position. I ma not have. I will need to determine which valve it is and check to make sure. Thanks for the thought.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:49 AM   #9

I had a jayco trailer that also filled the fresh water storage tank when hooked up to city water. The problem was my shurflo pump that had a bad check valve built into the pump.The trailer was still on warranty and the dealer gave me a brand new one.
jimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
I had a jayco trailer that also filled the fresh water storage tank when hooked up to city water. The problem was my shurflo pump that had a bad check valve built into the pump.The trailer was still on warranty and the dealer gave me a brand new one.
Jimmy has this one nailed for you. The check valve in the water pump is allowing backflow to the fresh water tank.

You can try disconnecting the city water an running the water pump for a few gallons. A piece if grit may have been stuck in the valve. This may flush it out.

If the problem persists you can replace the pump. Or purchase an add-on inline check valve. That would be less expensive.

I would also recommend using a water filter for ALL water entering the camper. City water connection and filling the fresh water tank. The valves used in RV's do not tolerate particles or sediment very well.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #11

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the Shurflo Check Valve built into the pump. The trailer is still under warranty and I have made an appointment with the dealer where purchased. Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Are you by chance using your water pump while connected to 'city' water?
Didn't mean to hijack this thread but i'm curious if this method really works? I've been trying to fill my fresh water tank out of city water connection using the pump but it's not doing it. Had always to use gravity fill to fill the FW tank.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
mtb4life; the FW tanks only fill if you have a bad pump check valve.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb4life View Post
Didn't mean to hijack this thread but i'm curious if this method really works? I've been trying to fill my fresh water tank out of city water connection using the pump but it's not doing it. Had always to use gravity fill to fill the FW tank.
I was blindly throwing darts when I asked that question, the thought was that if there was a busted valve in the system somewhere, it is possible that engaging the waterpump could possibly suck water into the tank from the city connection (it isn't supposed to).. just looking for clues. Sounds like others figured it out though
Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
If the problem persists you can replace the pump. Or purchase an add-on inline check valve. That would be less expensive.
Or as a quick fix, close the valve on the fresh tank supply line in front of the winterizing antifreeze fill line. Just remember to open it again when using the FW tank.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:07 PM   #16

Outstanding, very good information. I just learned something of value. Again, thanks.