Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

Fresh Water Tank Left Full All Winter!!!!

We bought our 2014 Jayflight from a dealership in British Columbia. We bought it in January and hubby drove it up the highway to where we live in the Yukon in February 2014.

As the weather has been warming up, water began dripping out of the low water spout because it broke off. More and more water coming out.

We are now quite certain, that for some strange reason, the dealership had filled the water tank, but forgot to empty it before winter. Why they would do this to a brand new trailer is beyond me. Not to mention we brought it up to the Yukon, in February. It was 40 below for crying out loud! Hubby says when doing the run through at the dealer, he did not notice of the gauges showed anything in the tank, but frankly, it was brand new and who would have thought it had water in the tank!

A friend of ours thinks maybe the trailer has been set up at an RV show and they filled the tank for that. Who knows? But it now means the water froze in the tank, the big ice cube is now slowly melting and we now have to take the trailer into a local RV place to ensure the tank is not cracked or damaged in some way.

I am phoning the dealership tomorrow morning and plan to give them a hell of an ear full; and let them know that any costs associated with the checking of the tank and/or damage is coming out of their pocket!

Anything else we should be worried about other than crack in the tank and leakage?
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #2

Wow,that can't be good. If the tank was full did they winterize the water lines or were they frozen all winter as well? And hot water tank? Yikes!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #3

Your fresh water pump, all the lines and plastic connections (many).
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Sounds like the dealer dropped the ball on PDI. You likely have some damage due to freezing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #5

Yes, that is exactly what happened. The dealership said they fill the tank as part of the PDI and someone forgot to empty it. At least they fully admit it's their error.

So now it's going into a Jayco dealer here who must cut the membrane underneath to inspect it all and then re-seal it. I just can't believe this has happened. Hopefully its all OK, but I also fear our first camping trip might be delayed!

HMM, I wonder if I could complain enough about all this to get a whole new trailer? LOL
Old 05-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Wow. How about the rest of the plumbing system, was that winterized or did it also have water lying there all Winter? If so, there could be major issues....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
Site Team

Recalling the PDI on my new rig, I remember getting home the first time and getting familiar with the new rig. We found that even though the tank gauge showed empty, in fact the tank was full of water. I had towed it 30 miles full of water. We drained the tank and had to return to the dealer where they found a loose ground on the fresh water sensor.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #8

There is no water in the hot water water tank and it is winterized with the pink chemical etc stuff in the lines. Water is still continuing to drain and the mega ice cube melts away.

What a mess, but all we can do at this point is wait to hear what they discover. Can't get it into the local place until Wednesday.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Site Team

Good news that the rest of the system was winterized. Perhaps the tank expanded enough that it did not burst, so this could be a minimal issue....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #10

Because it's there fault, I would ask them to replace the whole membrane, not just run black tape over the seams after they cut it.

Or make a real sub structure to remount and create access plate.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #11

Interesting point, thanks. Will ask about that.

I am so pissed about this. I just want to tow it back down to BC and tell them to give me a new trailer because I worry that I will never feel truly comfortable that we won't have some problem stemming from this later on.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:25 AM   #12

I did my PDI recently and they never filled the fresh water tank.....

All of this does not add up.....to winterize a trailer you drain the water out of the tanks before adding water to the lines. I would have the dealer you are taking the trailer to to inspect all lines to be sure that there was no other damage...I would also be there while they did so.

Good luck!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

This wasn't the PDI when we picked up the trailer, its the PDI the dealership does when they receive it from the manufacturer, which was several months before we bought it.

I appreciate your comment about being there when they check the lines, but it is not the dealership we bought from that is doing the work. So the local dealer has no vested interest in hiding anything from us cause its the dealership we bought from that will be footing the bill for any damage.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykcamom View Post
This wasn't the PDI when we picked up the trailer, its the PDI the dealership does when they receive it from the manufacturer, which was several months before we bought it.

I appreciate your comment about being there when they check the lines, but it is not the dealership we bought from that is doing the work. So the local dealer has no vested interest in hiding anything from us cause its the dealership we bought from that will be footing the bill for any damage.
My point about winterizing the unit still stands....you drain the tanks....and then lines and put antifreeze in the lines.

You stated that you did not know if you would ever feel comfortable because of this incident.....hence why I suggested that you be there when the do the work and check out everything.....peace of mind that you are looking for.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #15

Our dealership also filled the fresh water tank... we haven't dumped it out yet but are pretty sure it's been like that for quite a while as well.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #16

Yes, I'd probably try to get a new tank. Seems that had to weaken a seam somewhere so that eventually you'd likely hear a big 'whoosh' and find your tank split open.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote