Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #41

Donny,
Your dealer needs to call corporate, this is a warranty issue.
You should call corporate and let them know your dealer is not aware, or is not fixing the issue.
1-800-283-8267 I talked with Tony.

2011 Jayco Jayflight 22FB
2004 Ford F-150 5.4 Triton, K&N FIPK, Magna-flow muffler
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #42

I presume the build count is the last 4 digits of the serial number. If so, we have number 0426. The one time we towed 50 gallons of fresh water and three days later, returned with about 20 gallons of fresh water, we had no problems. No rationing needed.
Given our example, the warranty repair should solve your situation.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #43

pump working ok so far

Well she seems to be working ok now . They put both overflow hoses on one line and put a shut of valve on it,then brought it down beside the low point drain hose. They also put both low point drains into one line. So I now only have one low point drain and one overflow hose both with shut off valves.When I travel I shut the overflow valve , then open it when I get to my destination . It worked my last trip out with 1/3 water for a long weekend , but Did not check to see how much was still in my fresh tank .Im heading out for a week and Im putting 2/3 in. So we will see how she goes.Keep you all posted.later Don
donnymac250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #44

Got back from our trip to Minnesota, stayed 4 nights at Gull lake near Baxter / Brainerd.
Filled the fresh tanks full until they ran out the over flow, shut the valve on the front tank, filled the rear until it came out, closed the valve.
FULL!!
Drove to our site, leveled it, opened the valves. We had water the entire time we stayed!! What a relief to not have to run a hose 100' to fill it!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #45

I plugged one over flow line and put a valve on the other one. works great now, i don't lose any water. I can dry camp for about 5 days but using cautiously. I like that Jayco has large water tanks for dry camping. They are much larger than other manufacturers that i have searched.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #46

Funny this post happened now. I just got back from two days of dry camping with my wife and two kids. I have to be honest, water usage was a point of friction for us during the trip. I was out of camp for most of the day the first day, when I got back I checked the fresh water level and it was down around 1/3. Of course, I promptly instructed my lovely bride to stop using so much water. As many of you have experienced, that didn't go over well. Anyway, I talked to a RV'ing friend of mine who told me his camper will lose about 1/2 his fresh water on the way to his camp if he isn't very careful how he drives. Then I saw this post, now I have to go apologize to my wife.
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #47

water loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecamping View Post
Funny this post happened now. I just got back from two days of dry camping with my wife and two kids. I have to be honest, water usage was a point of friction for us during the trip. I was out of camp for most of the day the first day, when I got back I checked the fresh water level and it was down around 1/3. Of course, I promptly instructed my lovely bride to stop using so much water. As many of you have experienced, that didn't go over well. Anyway, I talked to a RV'ing friend of mine who told me his camper will lose about 1/2 his fresh water on the way to his camp if he isn't very careful how he drives. Then I saw this post, now I have to go apologize to my wife.
You will have to block off your over flow hoses while driving to your camping spot then re open it up once you get there.my rv dealer had to put a shut off valve on my overflow hose.All seems to be ok now.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #48

I plugged my overflow line and never worried about it... I fill till water comes out the filler tube.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #49

Alright. Took it to the service center, left it.
What they did was put another set, one for each tank, on the opposite side of the factory tanks.
I can fill it full pressure, it gets FULL.
I may close the valves on the fill side and let the "new" vents take the duty of venting the tanks.
VERY PLEASED with the service I got from my service center!!! Thanks to Trevor the manager for getting it done!!
Des Moines RV, Des Moines, Iowa.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 AM   #50

I have a '12 as in signature and found I have this problem also, so apparently the problem has not been corrected on new units.

I filled at a campground where I stayed the night before, about halfway on my way to a week of boondocking. I had about 250 miles to drive with the full tanks. I pulled in a rest stop and an elderly couple pulled up to me and said they were behind me and I had water streaming out of the hose/hoses (he pointed at my overflow hoses).

I had some duct tape, so I bent the hoses over (pinching them off) and taped them that way. Off the freeway I made a turn and noticed water coming out of the hose again, the duct tape came off and released more water. I don't know how much water I lost, the FW gage read 2/3, but I made it through the week OK. I was alone.

Yesterday I went to Home Depot to figure out what I could do to fix. I bought two Pex barbed fittings with 1/2" treads, and two 1/2" PVC caps. I will remove the caps when filling, then put them on for the trip. It would be easy to screw on a couple valves instead of the caps, but the caps are much cheaper.

I just wonder if the tank is vented so I could leave the caps on after getting to the destination, I don't want to collapse them.

I just did a search and found this thread, very interesting! Looks like the problem has been around for a while.
Ken

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #51

I had the same problem with both overflow tubes on a 2008 322FKS. Solved it with the attached mod. Joined the tubes and added a shutoff.

and

Now I open the valve when filling and close it after full and while traveling.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #52

wasted water

Well Im not running out of water now, got that problem fixed. Now when my pump stops pumping water to my taps , I still have 15 gallons or so still in my fresh tanks. So that will be my next thing to get fixed while it is still under warranty.Also I will have to get my table replaced,The table bubbled up or the plywood has lifted under the coating of the table,the edges and the top is all still intact ,just has a hump inside of it on the corner.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenelz View Post
I have a '12 as in signature and found I have this problem also, so apparently the problem has not been corrected on new units.

I filled at a campground where I stayed the night before, about halfway on my way to a week of boondocking. I had about 250 miles to drive with the full tanks. I pulled in a rest stop and an elderly couple pulled up to me and said they were behind me and I had water streaming out of the hose/hoses (he pointed at my overflow hoses).

I had some duct tape, so I bent the hoses over (pinching them off) and taped them that way. Off the freeway I made a turn and noticed water coming out of the hose again, the duct tape came off and released more water. I don't know how much water I lost, the FW gage read 2/3, but I made it through the week OK. I was alone.

Yesterday I went to Home Depot to figure out what I could do to fix. I bought two Pex barbed fittings with 1/2" treads, and two 1/2" PVC caps. I will remove the caps when filling, then put them on for the trip. It would be easy to screw on a couple valves instead of the caps, but the caps are much cheaper.

I just wonder if the tank is vented so I could leave the caps on after getting to the destination, I don't want to collapse them.

I just did a search and found this thread, very interesting! Looks like the problem has been around for a while.
Ken
My 2011 22FB has the 90 gallon fresh water tanks and I have taken 2 weeklong trips with it. Filled the tanks full and have not lost any water - meter reads full and we seem to have lots of water - i am not new to RVs and know about water useage - love the big tanks!
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
My 2011 22FB has the 90 gallon fresh water tanks and I have taken 2 weeklong trips with it. Filled the tanks full and have not lost any water - meter reads full and we seem to have lots of water - i am not new to RVs and know about water useage - love the big tanks!
Love the big tanks also! A big reason I bought the Flight was the 90 gallon tanks. I mostly boondock and the weak point without hookups is fresh water. I have a generator, can "shake the bush Boss", and dump dishwater, but you learn to conserve water. Thats why I was disapointed on losing it through the overflow.

On weekend trips I only put 30 gallons in and its more than enough.
How do I know I have 30 gallons? I put a five gallon bucket by the trailer, drag the hose to it, and time how long it takes to fill the bucket. Then I know how long to let it run into the tank to get the 30 gallons.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #55

Went back to my dealer - where I bought my Jay Flight - a couple of months ago to ask about factory accessories. They were clueless!!

I started talking to the service manger about the fresh water tanks:

He told me not to fill them up before a trip - instead - find a place near where I camp to fill them up. If I filled them up the constant travel would cause the tanks to break.

I boondock in Az all the time - hello there is no place to get water before the camp spot - one of the reasons I bought this camper was the 90 gallon tanks!

Have been RVing for 15 years and not heard of this before - and not had any problem with the fresh water tanks.

Was buying a Jaco a mistake?
Flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #56

One of the reasons I purchased my Jayco was the large water tanks. I am a boondocker and a large fresh water supply is very important to me. I would like to share with all of you what I have figured out since taking ownership of my 23fb.
All of you who are mentioning that your overflow tubes will leak water going down the road are correct. This is how it was explained to me. Jayco uses very shallow wide tanks. If you fill them to the top and then go down the road pressure build up can cause them to swell. Jayco,s answer was to install over flow tubes to prevent over filling. These tubes will spill water going down the road. The cure for this is to add valves to the over flow tubes. I added a fitting to tie the tubes together and extended the hose so that the valve is beside the fresh water drain valve. I open the valves when i fill and then close when traveling. This has solved the problem. The other problem that the wide shallow tanks creates is being able to use all the water in the tanks. The pickup for the pump is on the side of the tank near the bottom. Normally this would be ok, but with the shallow wide tank a half and inch of water in the bottom leads to several gallons left in the tank. My trailer would leave 10 to 15 gallons in the tanks. My solution to this was some replumbing. I plugged the pickup fitting. On the bottom of the fresh water tanks are 2 fittings, one on each tank. These are the 2 drain valves you see in front of the tires. I replumbed these fittings into one hose so I only have one drain, i also installed a T and hooked my pickup for the pump to this T. I now have one drain valve and can use all my fresh water. If you have an underbelly as i do this requires opening the belly to do the plumbing. I hope this helps.
Idaho Spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #57

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum IdahoSpud! Sounds like a good fix. Thanks for sharing!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #58

Thanks for this thread! I was trying to figure out how we used so much water, when our much smaller black and grey tanks weren't getting full. The photos were extremely helpful and I will be doing the repairs myself.

When I bought my trailer (at a show, and picked it up a couple months later) it did not have the arctic package they promised. The dealer tried to weasel out, but finally agreed to add the bottom cover (although I know I don't have the extra reflective insulation in the ceiling). They put the cover on fine, the only problem was they did not daylight the overflow tubes. I was filling the tanks until I found water coming out from the underbelly cover. Rather than haul it all the way back down (over 100 miles), I partially removed the cover and cut a hole to pull the overflow tubes through. So now I have access to them to put on the shutoff faucet.

Sheesh - you buy a new trailer and you think that it is all ready to go...another thought coming. By the way, I have a Starcraft 235fb, but it is nearly identical to the Jayco equivalent, and was probably made at the Jayco plant at the time.

Thanks again guys and gals. You've been a lifesaver (and a water saver!)
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #59

I wondered whether or not the second hose was a low point drain as well, until I accidentally overfilled the tank, and water came out both hoses. Question answered.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #60

Yep - on mine when filling, one hose starts running first - then a bit later it starts coming out of the second hose.

Adding a valve or clamp is now on my short list. Thanks!

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote